PDA

View Full Version : Rules for a Dwaven Mining Cart (Charoit)

knightwatch
21-08-2009, 20:31
I am doing a campaign game with my local group and working up rules for a Dwaven Mining Cart. I am modifing the cart out of the BfSP kit to make the model. Here is what I have, I would like for you guys to see if it is fair and balanced.

Dwarven Mining Cart

Cart
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
- - - 5 5 4 - - -
Miner (2)
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
- 4 3 3/4 - - 3 1 9
Mountain Pony (1)
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
6 3 - 3 - - 3 1 -

1D6 Impact hits, Miners have Mining Picks (GW)
100 pts.

lcfr
21-08-2009, 21:12
Not sure if this is the right forum for this...maybe rules development or general discussion, since this isn't really a rules query (that or I misunderstand the purpose of this board).

In any case, could you change the layout of your mining cart's stats? It's really difficult to read. All in all, it doesn't seem to be over the top and is pretty balanced. Some questions, though: What is its armour save? What choice will it take up?

Condottiere
21-08-2009, 21:45
It is Rules Development.

But I think you're looking at a light chariot with D3 impact hits.

knightwatch
21-08-2009, 22:32
Sorry if I put it in the wrong section, but to answer your questions:

Special Choice
5+ Armor Save (same as a Miner)

As far as light chariot, I thought about it. But for the points cost, I think D6 is better. What points cost would you say for a D3?

Condottiere
22-08-2009, 04:25
The only book that has light chariots is Tomb Kings, though slightly outdated, and a mining cart would be more sturdy.

If I had to pull out a figure from the air, probably 40-50 points.

Basic costs for 2 Dwarves (20 points?) and a pony (5 points?).

Would have to actually study it to refine the precise cost.

Necromancy Black
22-08-2009, 04:39
Again, needs to go to rules and development. Secondly, I'd like to see it with the same rules as miners, so it can come in from any table edge. Also, impact being armour peircing would also be nice.

I don't know how well it works as a chariot. Something that crushes rocks all day shouldn't be destroy from a Str 7 hit IMO, and at the same time having something not be able to march in a dwarf army seems unfluffy.

Perhaps make it something akin to the gyrocopter? It's a normal unit but counts as a warmachine for all spells and affects?

Shadowfax
22-08-2009, 05:24
Why am I the first one to point out the "it just doesn't feel right" factor of a mining cart moving around off of its rails...

Condottiere
22-08-2009, 05:36
That's why impact is D3.

Shadowfax
22-08-2009, 05:39
What is serving as the "steeds" though?

Edit: Oh yeah, the BfSP pony... seems kind of cruel to careen the li'l guy into a line of spears, though...

T10
22-08-2009, 11:02
I am doing a campaign game with my local group and working up rules for a Dwaven Mining Cart. I am modifing the cart out of the BfSP kit to make the model. Here is what I have, I would like for you guys to see if it is fair and balanced.

Dwarven Mining Cart

Cart
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
- - - 5 5 4 - - -
Miner (2)
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
- 4 3 3/4 - - 3 1 9
Mountain Pony (1)
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
6 3 - 3 - - 3 1 -

1D6 Impact hits, Miners have Mining Picks (GW)
100 pts.

Thoughts:
* Reduce the Strength of the cart to 4 - it's a piece of mining equipment, not an instrument of war.
* Reduce the pony to 0 attacks - it's a draft animal. Traditionally, draft and riding horses have 0 attacks in Warhammer. Specifically trained war horses get 1 attack.
* 1d6 impact hits is fine. A metal cart can hardly be called "light".
* Toughness 5 is fine. Dwarfs are tough, the cart is tough, the pony is not so tough.
* A 4+ armour save seems appropriate.
* Cost: 75 points.
* Army organization: You can take one mining cart for each unit of miners in your army. Each cart belongs to a specific unit of miners. When you deploy a unit of miners you also deploy their mining cart within 3" of the unit.
* Upgrades: You can buy one ugrade for each mining cart.
+25 points: Gold and gems! Keep your grubby hands off our stuff! The mining cart and the owning unit is immune to psychology, stubborn and subject to stupidity while the mining cart is within 3" of the owning unit.
+25 points: Coal and Iron! Let's get this to the forge, quick! If the mining cart and the owning unit are both free to move in the remaining moves part of the movement phase, and the mining cart is within 3" of the owning unit, they may both move 1d6 extra inches that turn. Roll once and apply the result to both units.

Condottiere
22-08-2009, 11:07
Impact is mass and speed - the cart might have mass, but the pony doesn't have the speed.

T10
22-08-2009, 11:21
Hence S4 might be more appropriate than S5 impact hits.

-T10

Lord Zarkov
22-08-2009, 11:58
It is also a lot smaller than an actual chariot though, about half the width with a cart also half the length

T10
22-08-2009, 13:28
If it fits onto a 40 x 60 mm base like the Grail Reliquae it might perhaps better be used as a unit center-piece rather than a chariot or separate unit.

-T10

knightwatch
24-08-2009, 17:13
These are all great ideas and alot of food for thought. Thanks for your input guys!