PDA

View Full Version : anyone who knows about ogre kingdoms

Krom The Eternal
21-08-2009, 23:57
I was thinking about what to bring in my force and i was wondering would it be a huge waste of points to run 2 hunters with tusks in my army i mean their tough as nails so why not?

SuperArchMegalon
22-08-2009, 02:40
Hunters generally viewed as too expensive for what they do. Bringing 2 Hunters DOES mean you can take 3 units of Trappers, and with all their synergetic abilities I don't see why you wouldn't take as many Trappers as possible (yes, they're that good). The problem with the Hunter is that he doesn't hit very hard unless you shell out to buy him a magical Great Weapon. He's vulnerable to shooting and isn't fast enough unless you take the Longstrider big name, which again means no Great Weapon. Also, that crossbow he has is about as useless as a gnoblar whelp. Good luck!

Dexter099
22-08-2009, 02:57
Yehtees and Gorgers are still viable...

The Red Scourge
22-08-2009, 04:31
Don't listen to the internet.

Play your army like you want it :)

guillaume
22-08-2009, 11:47
Absolutely, play what you want.

However, for a lot more info on ogre kingdom, visit: http://ogrestronghold.com/main/index.php

This is an excellent ogre forum where I learned how to play ogre. Excellent advice and great minis all around.

As for hunters, they are just not that efficient and cost a lot of point for what they can do.

For the cost of a hunter, you can buy a unit of Ironguts (no FC as you dont want any).

So, a character that sits around, shoot once or twice, may get into combat...or another core unit that can get into combat as soon as possible....

Mercules
23-08-2009, 03:09
So, a character that sits around, shoot once or twice, may get into combat...or another core unit that can get into combat as soon as possible....

If he is doing nothing but shooting then either he isn't being played right, or you opponent has a large target with no ward save but good armor you are trying to kill. :)

The Hunter is an iffy character. You pay for his Close Combat stats which are wasted if you stand back. You pay for the Bolt Thrower stats which are wasted if you spend all your time moving into Close Combat and fighting.

When I use one I take lots of Trappers and send the Hunter up one side where I have already scouted the trappers. They hold a flank while the rest of my army moves up the other side. Him offering LD 9 to the Trappers makes them stick around a bit better and anyone charging them faces a flee from them and charge for the Hunter and cats.

willowdark
23-08-2009, 04:07
Yep! Don't forget about cats. Fast Cav for Ogres _and_ multiple skirmishers. That's a lot of movement flexibility for an otherwise one dimensional army.

And a Hunter safely in position on the flank means the enemy is vulnerable to that Bolt Thrower's flank shots. That can force Knights to abandon their assignments and go after him. Or at least turn to face him.

Krom The Eternal
23-08-2009, 04:57
well i was thinking i could kit one out to be a close combat beast and the other to stay back and shoot the close combat one could have a great weapon and mastadon armour and the other could be used to thin the ranks and with 3 units of trappers and the tusks that should be a decent offensive plan add some ironguts bulls maybe lead belchers and a butcher or tyrant sounds pretty nasty to me