PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf flame cannon range

sparks
22-08-2009, 12:40
Hello, I am looking to use a flame cannon in a tournament next week. I am intrigued as to the precise nature of this beast, as whilst it appears to be a short range weapon, it also appears to have quite a long potential range.

My recent interpretation is that I may only aim at units within 12". However, the rules imply that I can guess 12", roll the dice, and then place the template, giving the weapon an effective possible 30" range (22" plus template). Am I right in thinking this?

Thanks in advance for any help in clearing this up before I play, don't want to have to deal with it mid game.

T10
22-08-2009, 13:59
While the Flame Cannon rules does require you to state how far you "wish to shoot" and limits this to 12" maximum, the execution of the shot makes this impossible to perform as you have interpreted.

If you "wish to shoot" 7 inches, then the cannon will fire a minimum of 9 inches (anything "less" is a misfire). So don't get your chainmail in a twist: just make your guess based on how much you think will be required to *hit* the target.

-T10

WLBjork
23-08-2009, 05:56
Indeed. Means it can actually hit the enemy with a first turn shot.

Guess up to 12".

Roll an Artillery dice and add the number to the guess*.

Place the pointy end of the template here and the rounded end facing directly away from the Flame Cannon.

Cackle manically if it covers a large number of enemy troops**.

*A misfire here wrecks the shot.

**This is optional.

larabic
24-08-2009, 15:12
It's a 8" template (roughly) and requires that you roll at least a 6 on the artillery die to hit something first turn under normal circumstances. Not bad odds really. If i have to choose between a flame cannon or organ gun in 1000 pts i usually take the flame because of the chance to hit turn 1 and causing panic.

EvC
24-08-2009, 16:55
I concur... I played against Dwarfs with a Flame Cannon for the first time in ages last week, and seeing that template come roaring towards my big ranked Spearmen block was quite worrying! Fortunately it didn't hit turn 1- but turn 2 it did, killed 10 and panicked the survivors (including Archmage!). Nasty thing for sure, don't know why we rarely see it taken.

snottlebocket
24-08-2009, 17:15
I concur... I played against Dwarfs with a Flame Cannon for the first time in ages last week, and seeing that template come roaring towards my big ranked Spearmen block was quite worrying! Fortunately it didn't hit turn 1- but turn 2 it did, killed 10 and panicked the survivors (including Archmage!). Nasty thing for sure, don't know why we rarely see it taken.

Gyrocopters provide some almost essential mobility and organguns dish out a lot of pain reliably. Both are cheaper than the flamecannon. ( I think)

stripsteak
24-08-2009, 17:59
gyro is the same cost
All the dwarf rare choices are pretty good; organ gun, flame cannon, gyro. the organ gun is only 20 pts cheaper than the other two so they are all in the same ballpark for costs, and they all do well in their respective rolls.

i think what it is, is most dwarf players will want to have at least 1 gyro to slow the offense. then it comes down to a choice organ gun or flame cannon.

it seems a toss up to me organ gun is more reliable, flame cannon *can* be more damage and is better for monsters. but flaming/penetrating bolt throwers fill this roll for cheaper and are more reliable. most dwarf players i've met are like the dwarfs themselves they'll favor the more reliable over the less predictable. sticking with what they know will work the way they want it to more of the time.

PeG
24-08-2009, 18:30
if they wanted unreliable they would play empire.