PDA

View Full Version : Rocket Gaunts, who has made them?

HsojVvad
22-08-2009, 19:59
Just curious here, who has made Rocket gaunts and count them as Gargoyles? I did, and was surprised to see others have as well. So I am curious who has done it, and, who plays them as Gargoyles.

All I did was, cut the arms of a Devourer gun and cut the arms off the spine fists gun and glued them together to make a jump pack/rocket pack, and put it on a the back of a regular Gaunt.

http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l47/hsojvvad/?action=view&current=Gaunt9.jpg

So who else has done it, and if you don't, why don't you? Just don't like it, don't believe it's fluffy? I find it fluffy in case where Tyranids have to go into gaves where there is not much room for Gargolyles to fly in with their wings.

The parasites inside produce methane, and other parsites light up the mathane wich proples the Gaunts to fly forward.

So let me see your conversions if you have any, or opnions if you have any.

massey
22-08-2009, 20:08
I haven't made them because I'm lazy. :)

Dakkabom
22-08-2009, 20:11
I always thought the standard space marine backpack looked enough like a jump jet so I could substitute those from tactical to assault or vice versa. Your Rocket Gaunts remind me of the assault marine jet pack, but all organified and icky. Nice work, and what soda is that below your Gargoyle?

rjderouin
22-08-2009, 20:13
That looks pretty good just on the wrong base.

HsojVvad
22-08-2009, 20:46
I haven't made them because I'm lazy. :)

Me too, I only made 3. One broke, this one, and anthour one, witch broke as well, but on a Hormi body. Looked nice.

I always thought the standard space marine backpack looked enough like a jump jet so I could substitute those from tactical to assault or vice versa. Your Rocket Gaunts remind me of the assault marine jet pack, but all organified and icky. Nice work, and what soda is that below your Gargoyle?

Thanks for the kind words. It was a pepsi can LOL

That looks pretty good just on the wrong base.
Wrong base? Oh I see what you mean, I never thought of it. I guess I will have to make them up higher and lower. Will do that next time, I make a whole brood of them. I will eventually do 32 of them. Hoping when the new codex comes out, that the brood number will not change too much.

chaos0xomega
22-08-2009, 22:19
Didn't someone come up with a race called pan-fo that operated on similar principals? Something about ass-blasters or something like that, they used em to fly around? Anyone? I don't know, just thought it was funny.

Anyway, I was thinking of doing something similar on a larger scale for my warriors.

Revlid
22-08-2009, 22:39
Didn't someone come up with a race called pan-fo that operated on similar principals? Something about ass-blasters or something like that, they used em to fly around? Anyone? I don't know, just thought it was funny.
You may be thinking of a breed of creature from Tremors.

chaos0xomega
22-08-2009, 23:36
oh yeah, thats where ass-blasters are from! No, there was something similar done on dakkadakka quite some time ago by a rabid 13 year old fan who was rather insistent that GW would actually produce the army he created (called Pan-Fo) that featured a flatulence based method of aerial movement.

Giganthrax
22-08-2009, 23:42
Looks sorta ridiculous. ;p

Also, is that actually legal? Wont that allow the rocketgaunts to claim coversaves even when regular gargoyles wouldnt get them due to base height?

iluvatar18
23-08-2009, 00:40
Also, is that actually legal? Wont that allow the rocketgaunts to claim coversaves even when regular gargoyles wouldnt get them due to base height?

After a tyranid player lovingly converts a squad of 32 "gargoyles" and you don't allow him to use them, don't expect a game, at all that night...

John Vaughan
23-08-2009, 00:57
I'm not going to be cuddly here:

Those look retarded. I openly invite anyone who feels so inclined to make those and then explain to me how they work. Sure, methane. I'll buy that. *suppressed laughter* I'll even let those people use them, just as a gesture of how little pride they have.

On the flipside, I give them props for finding a much more cost-effective way for using a unit that costs as much as it does in metal, that also does so little for that monetary cost.

Vepr
23-08-2009, 01:35

Those look retarded. I openly invite anyone who feels so inclined to make those and then explain to me how they work. Sure, methane. I'll buy that. *suppressed laughter* I'll even let those people use them, just as a gesture of how little pride they have.

On the flipside, I give them props for finding a much more cost-effective way for using a unit that costs as much as it does in metal, that also does so little for that monetary cost.

Sure methane. I mean that totally breaks the suspension of disbelief in 40k where everything is so realistic. :rolleyes:

Giganthrax
23-08-2009, 02:28
After a tyranid player lovingly converts a squad of 32 "gargoyles" and you don't allow him to use them, don't expect a game, at all that night...
Basically, it´s the equivalent of me modelling my land speeders so that they´re glued directly to their bases (without the transparent pole thingie that keeps them a few inches above the flier bases). This would make them capable of gaining coversaves from pretty much any terrain, and being 100% obscured if placed behind stuff like land raiders and even some smaller vehicles (a land speeder on its flyer´s base is taller then a LR).

Same could be done with a valkyrie/vendetta, deffkopta, tzeench screamers, etc.

Rocketgaunts would be okay if they were glued to a gargoyle base, though.

Shadey
23-08-2009, 02:39
Sure methane. I mean that totally breaks the suspension of disbelief in 40k where everything is so realistic. :rolleyes:

Yeh because something has a fantastical setting we should throw all reality out the window..

I take your :rolleyes: and raise you :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Absolutionis
23-08-2009, 02:46
The "Rocket Gaunt" is on a smaller base than Gargoyles. Personally, I wouldn't care too much, as the advantage is minimal. However, the base size makes a difference in competitive settings.

Vepr
23-08-2009, 02:51
Yeh because something has a fantastical setting we should throw all reality out the window..

I take your :rolleyes: and raise you :rolleyes::rolleyes:

True it is not like this game has psychic powers... oh wait.
Well at least it is not like shooting is less effective than hand to hand combat... damn.
Then again there is no other dimensions with demons or... never mind.
At least there is not an army composed of fungus spores... crap.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Shadey
23-08-2009, 03:08
Thats not even close to what I argued if your going to continue with this strawman bs im done.

Vepr
23-08-2009, 04:21
Thats not even close to what I argued if your going to continue with this strawman bs im done.

The point is out of all the suspension of disbelief stretching things in 40K like the star consuming necron gods, possessed machines, and space elves, gas propelled tyranids is the step to far? That just brings the illusion all crashing down? We are not talking about tentacled teddy bears in dresses with laser beams for eyes on roller skates here.

iluvatar18
23-08-2009, 04:34
Rocketgaunts would be okay if they were glued to a gargoyle base, though.

That's actually a pretty good idea, that would make this tournament legal and nobody can complain.

Vepr
23-08-2009, 04:51
Yeah without the correct bases they would not be fair. They make sense in fluff also. Hive ships do not propel themselves through space by flapping wings and if certain nids can create bio-plasma in their bodies I don't see this type of biomorph propulsion as being out of bounds.

Bolter Bait
23-08-2009, 06:56
I've never liked Rocketgaunts, either visually or conceptually, but I cannot argue that is a cheaper way to field Gargoyles. However, I don't field Gargs, so I can't say that I've either made them or used them.

GodofWarTx
23-08-2009, 08:19
i cant say im a fan.

Wings both from an aesthetic and a evolutionary standpoint just work so much better.

But i was amused briefly for thinking about a whole brood of rocketgaunts popping like popcorn as a unit of burna boys shoot their burnas into the lot of em. I know the boys would " 'ave a good laff"

Moriarty
23-08-2009, 09:58
"That just brings the illusion all crashing down? We are not talking about tentacled teddy bears in dresses with laser beams for eyes on roller skates here. "

Looted.

Now, where's the Milliput?

:-)

Gorbad Ironclaw
23-08-2009, 10:06
I've never liked Rocketgaunts, either visually or conceptually

I have to agree, the concept just doesn't work for me and visually I don't like it much either. But hey, if you like them go ahead.

Finn
23-08-2009, 18:55
We are not talking about tentacled teddy bears in dresses with laser beams for eyes on roller skates here.

Thanks, that's my new counts-as Defiler. ;)

On topic, the base sizes (as in diameters) of gargoyles and gaunts is identical, yes? I believe they are, but I don't have any handy to compare. If so, just use some wire and elevate them a bit. I may have to do this, although I'll use some Hormagaunt bodies instead...

CthulhuDalek
23-08-2009, 20:16
Gargoyles use a flying base that is a bit larger.

massey
23-08-2009, 21:14
The base sizes are similar enough that any advantage gained is insignificant. Anyone can clearly see that the intention of the conversion is not to shave 2 mm off of the siEof the base. If someone refuses to play you for that reason, point out to them that the rules only require that a model only need be based on the base IT came with, not the base of whatever it is representing. "This model is a converted gaunt, and it is on the gaunt base, therefore it is legal".

primarch16
23-08-2009, 22:28

Warhammer 40k

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv251/primarch_2009/Serious_Business_Lego.jpg

Corpse
23-08-2009, 23:03
Try using the hormagaunt leaper bodies, cutting off their extended leg's toe and glue them upright on a terminator base?

That shouldnt be much of a problem. The foot digging into the ground and they're jump-leaping around (instead of gliding over the forest and not being hit by trees, they take dangerous terrain tests like everyone else after all).

Sounds fun.

Edonil
23-08-2009, 23:21
Interesting idea. From a visual perspective, I don't love it. From a conceptual, it seems like a flying bombardier beetle, so I can dig it. And getting the chance to see Gargoyles on the field without someone spending a fortune (I'm a Sisters player and feel that this is a bigger price rip off than most of my stuff!) sounds like an excellent idea. For ways to improve it...I'm not sure. Perhaps instead of jump packs, use the spinefists where the middle pair of legs would go? Make them hover like the Harrier jet instead. I'd have to mess around with the sprues to really come up with a decent suggestion, but I've got nothing tyranid sitting around.`

world in grey
24-08-2009, 00:07
I like them, plain and simple i like them

Nakor
24-08-2009, 06:51
+1 i like them. facing them, id let the opponent keep the low cover save just cos its a sweet idea and gargs arent that useful other wise

Fist of Crimson
24-08-2009, 16:35
I have two problems with them:

1: Must use flying base (This is my biggest problem)

2: Anyone who has played with or against winged gargoyles knows that due to the wingspan, these guys need a lot of table space. Remove the wings gives an unfair advantage. Seems harsh to penalize the players using the winged varients.

Fine for friendly games at home though. I just wouldn't be impressed in a competition setting.

HsojVvad
24-08-2009, 17:34
Hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, not on a Gargoyle stand? This is a disadvantage? How so? I did have a hormi body with a rocket on it, but it got broken. So yes I plan on using them. I like the idea of using wire or somthing to have them in the air, that I havn't thought of.

But the disadvantage problem I don't understand. I don't see SM with Jump packs as high in the air as Gargoyles. I even see in pics SM with jump packs on the ground their feet touching the base.

I like the idea of putting spines where the feet go and make them hover like a Harrier. Hmm, that makes a good idea for a skimmer if Tyranids were allowed that. lol.

Kurisu313
24-08-2009, 18:11
Hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, not on a Gargoyle stand? This is a disadvantage? How so? I did have a hormi body with a rocket on it, but it got broken. So yes I plan on using them. I like the idea of using wire or somthing to have them in the air, that I havn't thought of.

But the disadvantage problem I don't understand. I don't see SM with Jump packs as high in the air as Gargoyles. I even see in pics SM with jump packs on the ground their feet touching the base.

I like the idea of putting spines where the feet go and make them hover like a Harrier. Hmm, that makes a good idea for a skimmer if Tyranids were allowed that. lol.

Its a case of RAW.

Gargoyles are high in the air, making drawing LOS to them and denying them cover saves easy.

Yours are low on the ground, meaning that they can hide behind walls and get cover saves.

It's comparable to the swimming beserker or digging genestealer conversions that happened at the advent of 5th. Your models have been converted in a a way that gives you a significant in-game advantage.

Doesn't particularly bother me, I can see you did it for other reasons, but it doesn't change the fact.

Rick Blaine
24-08-2009, 18:16
The only reason Gargoyles come on flying stands is because they don't have feet. Just about every other jump infantry in the game comes with regular 25 mm bases. Whining that smaller bases give them an unfair advantage is just... pathetic.

HsojVvad
24-08-2009, 18:39
Well I guess I will have to model them so they are up in the air, no biggie. But then again, as I said before, SM are not in the air either and get a cover save as well.

Gargoyles do have feet, they need something to land on, and rest. Other wise it would be expending unnessary energy to stay aloft all the time. :)

I think it will be fun modelling them higher up. I just have to figure out how to do it, and make it look nice.

Also to make the people happy who say they get an unfair advantage, all I have to do is buy on pack of real Gargoyles and when ever said opponet thinks I have an unfair advantage, I just put the real Gargoyle in and see if there is a cover save or not. If you can't see the Gargoyle with wings, cover save, if not no cover save. I can't see anyone going agaisnt this.

Finn
25-08-2009, 00:09
Well I guess I will have to model them so they are up in the air, no biggie. But then again, as I said before, SM are not in the air either and get a cover save as well.

Gargoyles do have feet, they need something to land on, and rest. Other wise it would be expending unnessary energy to stay aloft all the time. :)

I think it will be fun modelling them higher up. I just have to figure out how to do it, and make it look nice.

Also to make the people happy who say they get an unfair advantage, all I have to do is buy on pack of real Gargoyles and when ever said opponet thinks I have an unfair advantage, I just put the real Gargoyle in and see if there is a cover save or not. If you can't see the Gargoyle with wings, cover save, if not no cover save. I can't see anyone going agaisnt this.

If you want to do that, fine, but it kind of kills the point of the conversion doesn't it? I realize you only mean swapping out one or two models, but then it's as if you're proxying and not using them counts-as. And that's the conversion killer.

If conversions are legal in your games, then you shouldn't need to do that. Also, somebody up above said something about gargoyle wingspan making it difficult to squeeze them tight together. Granted this may be true, but what's to stop someone from varying the height of the poles/changing the wing poses so that they can get their models into base-to-base easier? I'd do it, especially with their ability to deep strike. Trying to place models that don't fit together easily would annoy me to no end.

I've been informed that there's just a couple of mm difference between the diameters of the respective bases. Hardly anything to be worried about there.

massey
25-08-2009, 01:47
Some people appear to be terrified of anyone getting the slightest possible advantage from any type of conversion. To them, I'd say that conversions for an advantage are 100% legal. There's nothing in the rules that says you can't have all your space marines lying prone on the ground. If someone tries to get into a RAW argument with you, they'd better be able to show you actual RAW and not just bitch and whine about things being "unfair".

There is no rule AT ALL that says you can't have something stand in for a gargoyle. You can have an extensively converted gaunt stand in for a carnifex if you want -- there's no rule saying that the model you use has to be equivalent size or on an equivalent sized base. Models must simply be used on the size of the base they came with. So your carnifex gaunt must be on a gaunt base, by real RAW.

Reinholt
25-08-2009, 02:42
My thoughts:

1 - I like any idea to convert a cheaper gargoyle. One of my pet peeves with GW is overpriced metal units (where I define this as a unit that is cheap points-wise, must be fielded in decent numbers to be effective, and is only available in metal with no 'easy' plastic conversion). So I'm for that.

2 - As to the actual execution, not a fan. Here is what I would do:

- Use a hormie for the body. The sense of motion will give a lot more impetus to the "flying" aspect of the model and not just look like a gaunt with a lump.

- There's something about the single rocket I don't like. Maybe it's just the lumpy mid-back feel, but I'd probably play around with using two of them (over either shoulder, perhaps, similar to an assault marine's pack) with some degree of angling to account for how the creature flies in a balanced fashion.

- Definitely need the flying base, or, just as easily, a length of something (plasticard, metal tube, etc) to elevate it into the air.

In short:

Idea - A
Execution - C, but with seeds for major improvement after some simple tweaks.

HsojVvad
25-08-2009, 05:12
As I said, I did use a hormie body before. But I would like to start from scratch, so please keep the ideas coming.

What I would like to know, is how would I get them on wire to make them looking like they are flying or blasting away.

Finn
25-08-2009, 16:51
You can either attach the wire to the underside of their bodies and just leave it there...

Or you can attach the wire to the rear of the 'rocket' and then to the base in some fashion, and have an 'exhaust' to conceal the wire. However, in addition to being a lot more work, this would leave you with gaunts that were either shooting straight up and looking a little silly or attached to terrain features on their base (the work aspect again), which is a little unfeasible due to base size.