PDA

View Full Version : Empire - 2000 points (somethng a bit less competitive)

Tower_Of_The_Stars
23-08-2009, 11:26
Hello,

I have played Fantasy now for about 5 years, my two main armies being Skaven and Dark Elves. Skaven were for a long time very competitive and Dark Elves are currently very competitve. It is rumoured also that the up and coming Skaven army book is the army book to take Demons head on - we shall see. Anyway, I now have a strong desire to field a more well rounded, conventional army and whilst in the past I have considered The Empire "boring" I am starting to take a liking to them - nothing to do with all the nice plastics of course ;).

In a round about way here is the 2000 points I have settled on. Coments and criticism are welcomed, indeed encouraged as well as suggestions on how I can use the remaining points. The army will be from Ostland or Ostermark, black powder units will be painted darker as a sign of wealth and the Knightly Order will be Knights of the Ever Lasting Light, so lots of purples, blues and blacks - you wouldn't know I collected Dark Elves ;).

I really like the idea of the Griffon Standard and wanted it in my army, the rest of the army follows naturally from that.

General: full plate armour, sheild, Icon of Magnus, Sword of Might: 135

Captain: full plate armour, barded warhorse, BSB, Griffon Standard: 152

Battle Wizard (Lv1): Rod of Power: 95

Battle Wizard (Lv1): 2 Dispel Scrolls: 115

25 Swordsmen: full command, War Banner: 200

10 Handgunners: 80

5 Knights: lance, shield: 115

20 Greatswords: full command: 230

2 Great Cannons: 200

15 Flagellants: 150

Steam Tank: 300

Total: 1967

The BSB is mounted to improve his armour save and goes with the Swordsman. I opted for them over the other state troops as I thought the extra armour save and the better weapon skill was worth it for a point more per model. I gave them the War Banner for a static combat resolution of 10 (assuming outnumbering and three complete ranks)! This unit would be of no good without its flanks protected however. On one side 20 Greatswords lead by the General who was given importantly the Icon of Magnus meaning the Greatswords will still be stubborn against fear causing troops that outnumber them. On the other side of the Swordsmen, 15 Flagellants as they are Unbreakable. 2 units of Knights to be deployed on either flank was the next obvious choice to counter charge enemy units charging (and being held by) the main battle line. To finish off the army 2 units of Hand Gunners to add long range support (and fill out core), 2 cannons to combat big nasties and a Steam Tank for mayhem and carnage ;).

Lord Hurin
23-08-2009, 12:46
The beauty of playing Empire is your detachments. They never cause Panic checks when they flee the field and can make counter-charges or stand-and-shoot reactions. They are invaluable - I'd drop one unit of Handgunners and take instead 9 Halberdiers or Swordsmen as a Detachment for each block of troops. Then split the other Handgun unit into 2 Detachments of 5.

Now, the General still has plenty of points left for more Magic equipment. I'd suggest something that confers a Ward save.

Also don't forget that the BSB on horseback displaces 2 Swordsmen when he joins that unit, so you can make them 23 strong and still have 5 ranks of 5 once he's with them.

I'd also invest in Musicians for those Knight units. It will help them out when baiting and fleeing.

Aside from that, the composition is pretty solid!

Tower_Of_The_Stars
24-08-2009, 12:01
I do like the idea of detatchments, however, I was worried they would create weak points in my battleline. Presumably you sit the combat detatchment back a bit from its parent unit so they counter charge but not be charged by enemy infantry blocks. How though do you stop enemy cavalry units charging the detatchment instead of the parent unit?

Commodus Leitdorf
24-08-2009, 13:13
Okay lets have a look see.

Good old General and done cheap too! If you want him on foot I recommend Armour of Meteoric iron and a great weapon. I personally never field my GOTE without the Rod of Command. Nothing like enticing your enemy to charge you with his nastiest unit, losing the combat by 14 (or some other rediculous number) then spoiling his day with an automatic double 1 and flanking him with another unit (usually one with the BSB toting Griffon Banner!)

Good solid stuff here. But watch out, your BSB will have a big "kill me sign" written on him and he does tend to die to and concerted effort to kill him.

25 Swordsmen: full command, War Banner: 200

a Detachment of 9 swordsmen compliments this perfectly. in the 3x3 formation you can tuck the unit in between your blocks safely. Unit trying to charge them are usually too wide to reach them making them hit your main blocks instead. In addition, people fear the detachments more then your main blocks, use that to your advantage and let the detachments take the hits so your can get into CC with fully ranked units!

good stuff, handgunners are great flank protectors (fast cav dont like coming up flanks with them there) and the knights also help to discourage that as well. only thing I would recommend is musicians on the knights. You want to make sure they rally if (and when) they run.

two cannons are a must take for empire and the Greatswords are good for a list like this too. They don't strickly need a detachment but I would recommend making them a bit bigger (24-25) that way they can take some heat and still be combat effective.

Steam Tank: 300

If recently become a fan of my Stank, and its good to add alittle "umpf" to your army. The flagellants are fine as a flank guard as well (just don't expect them to live long)

All in all a good, solid fun list to play with for friendly games! Good stuff!

Tower_Of_The_Stars
24-08-2009, 14:46
Thanks for the advice and replies. I agree with all the suggestions though due to points constraint I have not been able to transfer all the adivce into the list. I think giving my Swordsmen a detachment is probably the most important inclusion I need to make so I have made that my priority when rewriting this list.

23 Swordsmen: full command, War Banner: detachment of 9 Halberdiers: 233