PDA

View Full Version : 2k points vampires dragon list

lector#1
23-08-2009, 12:17
hey guys i have already ordered my azhag on dragon model and im going to be using the wyvern for a vamp lord conversion so im building a list that I think suits a dragon lord. tell me what you think, its not supposed to be overly competativ

characters
vampire lord
dragon
red fury
dreadknight(for the heavy armour and shield)
dreadlance
wrist bands of black gold
(645)
(i know its an expensive lord but i love my dragon lords and i want to make this a good one like i am going to be spending over 250 aus dollars on building this model so i want it in my list)

vampire
dark acolyte
summon ghouls
power stone
dispell scroll
(195)

necromancer
extra spell
power stone
dispell scroll
(120)

core

10 ghouls
ghast
(88)

20 ghouls
ghast
(168)[vampire goes here]

20 ghouls
ghast
(168)[necromancer goes here]

2 bat swarms
(70) [war machine hunting loan mage hunting]

3 fell bats
(60) [fly around with the dragon lord]

3 fell bats
(60) [war machine loan mage hunting]

varghulf
(175)

varghulf
(175)

i have 249 points left not sure on weather to add in more flyers or more infantry any help would be great and would it be better to swap the necro for another vampire

slayerofmen
23-08-2009, 12:43
if it were me, drop the necromancer take second vamp and give them both Master of the dark arts, you'll get be getting 6 dice out of two lvl 1s then get rid of all that stuff you gave them and grab some armour.

also you would be better off in the long run with infinite hatred on the lord as the lance is a one shot if you get caught in combat (if likely) its going to stick you there for a long time if you aren't killing all the time everytime. spare points hugely buff core units.

-change the lance out for infinite hatred.

-second vamp instead of necromancer.

-MoDA on both+ armour.

but thats just from a quick read. looks good though you have to post pics of the dragon when its done

lector#1
23-08-2009, 13:18
oh i will post the pics of it i should start it on thursday dont know when it will be finished tho... and as for the lance how is that a one shot thing, it always auto strikes and i will have it at str 5 after the charge, but if i have the fell bats charging in with him i get

5 str 7 attacks on the charge from my lord and a possible extra 5
5 str 6 attacks from the dragon and
6/12 str 3 attacks from the fell bats depending on if i run both units or just 1 its alot of attacks and almsot ganranteed to atleast make the enemy unit run, if not wipe them all out

slayerofmen
23-08-2009, 13:34
to me its one shot because it is.....although its unlikely to happen if you get stuck in a protracted combat your going to need every attack you can get. for me its an insurance policy but each to their own. as for the fell bats as back up i wouldn't rely on it

and unless ive missed something its 4 attacks on your lord.

lector#1
23-08-2009, 13:50
oh im not relying on it.. i dont expect them to kill much its more so that they flank charge and negate rank bonus and what not... atm as a new gw opened up closer to me i think my main opponents will be ogres, dark elves, goblins and possibly skaven i think my biggest threat would be ogres, as witht he rest of the armies i just need to get into combat nice and quick and its all over for them... and yeah sorry i kept looking at vlads stat line instead of the lord but yeah thats still like a 95% if not higher of 8 str 7 attacks on the charge, 5str 6 from the dragon that is alot of dead things and causing terror and no rank bonus coz of the bats it should be easy to make them flee

slayerofmen
23-08-2009, 14:06
well then go forth and pwn some noobs, or whatever people say.

good luck man let me know how you fair and remember pics of the dragon

lector#1
23-08-2009, 14:10
well i am getting my dragon on thursday and then getting some other bits and peices to make my lord to ride it i just need to see if i need to magnetize the dragons wings or if they will have the little bits that i can just stick onto the dragons body other wise it will be a pain to bring around

lector#1
24-08-2009, 07:19
ok how does this look

characters
vampire lord
dragon
red fury
dreadknight(for the heavy armour and shield)
dreadlance
wrist bands of black gold
(645)

vampire
master of the black arts
cardaverous cuirass
enchanted shield
(180)

vampire
master of the black arts
walachs bloody hauberk
(195)

core

10 ghouls
ghast
(88)

20 ghouls
ghast
(168)[vampire goes here]

20 ghouls
ghast
(168)

20 ghouls
ghast
(168)[vampire go here goes here]

2 bat swarms
(70) [war machine hunting loan mage hunting]

3 fell bats
(60) [fly around with the dragon lord]

3 fell bats
(60) [war machine loan mage hunting]

varghulf
(175)

thats 1977 points i have 13 points to waste might give both the vampires biting blades

Kayosiv
24-08-2009, 08:24
Remember you cannot use an enchanted shield and the Cadaverous Cuirass because they are both magical armors, and you cannot give "both the vampires biting blades" because even common magic items are limited to 1 use per army.

Since you are putting "all your eggs in one basket" with the vampire lord, I highly recommend giving your lord Ghoulkin (as your army seems very ghoul and bat themed) or Walking Death. Your vampire/dragon has an absolute maximum of 13 wounds he can do but will more frequently deal 7-9, and it is possible to get a static combat resolution of over 7 for some armies, victory is never assured. Combat resolution will win you more fights than kills, and more often than not, crumbling will do more wounds to you than actual troops.

I suggest Ghoulkin because your army seems slow. It has lots of movement 4 infantry, and lots of really crappy bats. Fel Bats might actually kill something, but bat swarms, on average, only wound 1 out of 6 attacks on normal troops, and that's before armor saves. Not to say Bat Swarms are bad, you don't need kills to silence missile weapons or clog war machine crews, but they won't last more than a turn or two unless you get lucky and they fail a fear test when charged.

Right now you have 1 Varghulf who can keep up with the Vampire, and a few Fel Bats, while the remaining 1,000 points of your army will linger at the back for 2-3 turns doing very little. I'd suggest dropping ghouls for some black Knights, you can get 1 Knight per 3 ghouls, or 2 per 7 if you want to give them barding.

Since your vampires are going to be hanging in the back with units of ghouls, I highly recommend giving them some bound spell items to give them something to do each turn instead of marching, possibly casting invocation, and then twiddling their thumbs. There are plenty extremely useful bound spell items to choose from.

If you haven't, consider buying level 3 magic level for your lord. It does not matter if you want him to be "fighty," The extra power and dispel dice are well worth 50 points, along with the extra spell he gains. Wind of Undeath and Summons Undead Swarm (this one especially with the zombie dragon as a mount, it will require constant healing) are highly valuable spells and cannot be reliably cast by a level 2 wizard, plus it gives him something to do while he isn't in combat. I have played over 10 games with a zombie dragon Lord and he has only ever gotten into combat during turn 1 one time.

If you can afford a BSB, take the Royal Standard of Strigos. Hatred, combined with ghouls 2 poisoned attacks each, is straight up amazing. If you take this build, I'd advise giving the vampire Avatar of Death and Dark Acolyte instead of Master of the Black Arts. It will yield you 1 less power dice overall, but gives an extra spell and allows the vampire a 3+ save in close combat with no magical items needed. If you feel he doesn't need an armor save, give him Summon Ghouls instead. you can also give this to your lord if you don't want to give him ghoulkin or Avatar of death, as Invocation of Nehek has an 18" range and requires no LoS, your lord can generally reinforce your units of ghouls while flying around behind enemy lines.

The unit of 10 ghouls with ghast seems totally pointless to me, I think you can better spend those points, especially if you don't take a vampire with the summon ghouls power.

So in short, pimp out vampires even more, don't do illegal item equipments. More fast things, from Wraiths to Knights to Varghulfs, just pick something, you're too infantry heavy to have a Dragon Lord unless you can reliably cast several Venhel's Danse Macabre each turn. Take more bound items to ensure magic gets through.

lector#1
24-08-2009, 09:21
ok how does this look

vamp lord
dragon, red fury, dread knight, dread lance, wrist bands of black gold
(645) [left over points could be spent here]

vamp
dark acolyte, avatar of death, book of arkarn, biting blade
(190)
vamp
dark acolyte, avatar of death, hand of death
(200)

3x 14 dire wolves
doom wolf
(366)

2x 20 ghouls
ghast
(336)

2x 3 fell bats
(120)

i have 143 points left over i could beef up the lord to the max or i could chop the ghoul units down to 14 and with the spare points get a varhgulf

Kayosiv
24-08-2009, 20:49
Do you mean the Hand of Dust, or the Rod of Flaming Death? Both are good options but I'm not sure which one you mean.

Unfortunately Dire wolves (and neither do bat swarms for that matter) do not count for core, so you'll have to take at least 1 more unit of ghouls. Generally take smaller units of Dire Wolves. They can be effective missile screens for your wolves and can play the same roll as the Bat Swars in war machine hunting, as they are nearly as fast and with strength 3 they might actually kill something. Instead of taking 42 Dire Wolves, get another unit of Ghouls to meet your core requirements. Take the Wolves in units of 5-7. They are not meant to rank up, and being core you are not limited to the number you can take.

If you can free up the space (I wouldn't take doomwolves, or maybe start the ghouls 15-18 strong instead of 20) I'd definitely keep the Varghulf. If you want to keep the army fast, you'll need another fast thing with the vampire special rule to keep the Dire Wolves Marching after turn 1, they can't all crowd around your Lord.

I also still highly recommend taking either ghoulkin, Walking Death, or Summon Ghouls on your lord, and if you can fit it, level 3.

lector#1
26-08-2009, 10:55
vamp lord
level 3, dragon, red fury, dread knight, dread lance, wrist bands of black gold, summon ghouls
(710)

vamp
dark acolyte, avatar of death, book of arkarn, biting blade
(190)
vamp
dark acolyte, avatar of death, hand of death
(200)

3x 14 ghouls
ghast
(360)

4x 7 dire wolves
(224)

2x 3 fell bats
(120)

varghulf
(175)

i have 21 points left was thinking maybe just 1 extra bat

XJWinduX
31-08-2009, 20:31
You can't take dreadknight and then mount your lord on the dragon. The lord is stuck on the pony. So you have to take avatar of death, which is 5 pts cheaper but does the same thing minus the mount/free lance (which doesn't matter anyways since you are buying dreadlance)