PDA

View Full Version : 2250 VC army (yes i know, im a noob, powergamer lol)

slayerofmen
23-08-2009, 13:18
seriously though I've been playing vampire counts since fifth (well in fifth a used the undead book but same basic idea)

problem is with the release of the new book i seem to only ever take magic heavy VC builds with IoN and raise dead spam, well with a tournament upcoming i thought id try a different list. and please note the blood knights are in there because i paid 120 aus for them when they came out and still havent used them.

power dice: 9 (correct me if im wrong)
dispel dice: 6 (also feel free to correct)

Vampire lord*, LVL 3, Dread knight, infinite hatred, red fury, blood drinker
*lord is in with the blood knights

vampire**, infinite hatred, dread knight, BSB, the drakenhof banner
**also in the unit with the blood knights

vampire***, master of the dark arts, the flayed hauberk, sword of might
*** bunkered in the ghouls

25 skeletons, Champion, standard

25 skeletons, Champion, standard

25 Ghouls, ghast

5 black knights, barding, standard bearer, Royal standard of strigos

5 blood knights, Standard bearer, flag of the blood keep

4 fell bats
both units for warmachines and march blocking
4 fell bats

any comments are most welcome
at the end of the day though i don't want to be a OP or OTT feth head so the current mini star is as far as that goes

slayerofmen
24-08-2009, 13:53
^^ bumping for advice

Gokamok
24-08-2009, 14:27
I don't believe in Blood Knight "Deathstars", there are just way too many armies that can obliterate that unit with ease. A Bloodthirster will rip your Blood Knights, general and BSB apart, and you won't really be able to stop it. A Star Dragon, War Altar with Speculum and many other things will also either destroy or neutralize your 1050ish points unit.

With little magic to support your infantry, I have a hard time seeing your blocks providing a real threat to the enemy, since you'll likely not be able to break anything with non-ASF, non-Vanhel's Skeletons and Ghouls.
I tihnk your Black Knights would be far stronger if you upped them to 6 models and give them Banner of the Dead Legion, so they'll have a good chance of causing autobreaks due to outnumbering. As they stand now, they won't do much against ranked infantry or elite units.

If you want to stick to the DrakenStar approach, then I'd suggest getting a big units of Grave Guard instead of the Blood Knights. They're for far harder for large flyers to deal with because of the higher static CR, and by keeping your PD near your infantry, you'll have a much easier time making the whole army a threat.

Kayosiv
24-08-2009, 22:14
Get another Hero. Either get a Wight King to go with the Black Knights, mount another vampire to go with them, or get a necromancer with purchased vanhel's Danse Macabre.

You want either a movement advantage or something else besides your Blood Knight unit to be able to reliably kill things. If the Blood Knight unit kills something every turn for 5 turns, it is still highly likely it will not have earned it's points back. You need to add more hitty potential to other parts of your army, or get free movement so you can combine charges so you skeletons can actually win combats.

slayerofmen
25-08-2009, 09:07
back to the drawing board me thinks