PDA

View Full Version : Would you allow this?

FrostySalamanader
11-01-2006, 10:39
I'm going to have a BLack Templar army allied with Witchhunters.

Now, I want to to include 40 zealots (two squads).

My main problem with this at first was the models, and finding enough cheaply, however, I think I may have solved this problem.

I plan to use there http://www.excelsiorentertainment.com/Browse_Item_Details.asp/Item_ID/1172/categ_id/28/parent_ids/0,1,2,28/Name/Imperial_Regular_Assault_Force_(40)

Now my problem is, would you play verse these models, and do you think the gun + bayonet is good enough to count as mob weapons?

I know these wouldn't be allowed in a tournie, as they arn't GW models, but I do plan on adding SOME GW bits.

Hlokk
11-01-2006, 10:53
Yeah, im getting some to use as IG infantry.

Anyone who doesnt let you use them deserves to be sat on by Lisa Riley!!!

Sinedia
11-01-2006, 10:53
Although I don't think the miniatures you linked at look like Zealots (remembering the past WD article), but I can't say I'd mind...

Then again I couldn't even care if you's used dices as Zealots... When gaming, it is gaming that matters for me and if you use nicely painted miniatures (GW or not) it is a pleasure for me to look at, but for the game itself it wouldn't matter...
Of course it would be easier gaming if I could see what these minitures are (what they stand for) and what weapons they carry... and GW miniatures are still the best solution for that...

So in short: I prefer GW miniatures, but if someone wants to use something else it wouldn't stop me playing against it...

mongoosedog300
11-01-2006, 10:55
sure id allow it, if you used them in games with friends:)

Happy gaming

biggreengribbly
11-01-2006, 13:01
Hell, one companies figs will whip my but just as well as any. They wouldn't be my first choice for zealots. Guard maybe but anyway. You wouldn't find me bitchin'

TK421
11-01-2006, 13:50
Go for it, it's your army :)

Jhagadurn
11-01-2006, 14:00
Dude, I'm making an adeptus mechanicus army right now, and It might have 2 or 3 GW figs in it. Go for it!

damz451
11-01-2006, 16:10
the look pretty cool, i'd maybe convert them a bit with gw stuff just to make sure

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
11-01-2006, 16:15
Those are some ass-ugly minis youre buying...

I dont mind if you use non-GW minis, as long as they look (semi) good.

Alpharius
11-01-2006, 17:58
Absolutely! Go for it!

(But, be aware that you WILL run into WYSIWYG and GW Only types, especially at tournaments...)

worldshatterer
11-01-2006, 18:18
I'd let you use them, mainly as they're already in my guard force reserves . However i'd try picking up the old second ed warzone boxed set on ebay as that often costs a similar amount, and has 40 bauhaus figures with it as well .

However they just don't look like zealots, if you want cheap plastics for the job i'd go with em-4 gangers instead, as they're just as cheap and give you the irregular look more suited to zealots .

Available in the US from-
http://www.tindictator.com/tindic.html

And the UK
http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Science_Fiction.html

However both the warzone plastic sets are the best thing made for that system, and some of my favourite sci-fi infantry so i'm sure there'd be a way to bend the fluff to include the zealots putting there own uniforms toghether from pdf surplus stores .

Blowupologist
11-01-2006, 20:01
My general opinion is that 'mob weapons' is more or less an averaging of what everyone has. So you could pretty much outfit your mob as you saw fit. The Mordheim gang boxed set is a pretty good place to pick up generic plastic civilian models. Open up your bits box and give them some random weapons (heck, throw in a plasma cannon or two for kicks), and just make it look like a seriously rag-tag bunch of guys.

As for using non-GW miniatures, I'm all for it.

FrostySalamanader
11-01-2006, 20:53
Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

I forgot to explain one thing about these zealots.

FLuff wise, these arn't zealots.

These are men-at-arms, people recruited from a planet where a monestry is maintained for the Scarlet Crusade. These people are fanatical zealots (Hehe) who function as men-at-arms in the real medieval crusades would, and the BT as the knights.

I thought these models had a sutable medieval look, but of course I'd add more bits to them.

nathonicus
11-01-2006, 20:58
Go for it, they're great models with a ton of converting possibility. I second the notion to go after a Warzone box set -- it's basically the squads you are looking at plus an identical force of Bauhaus minis which gives you more fodder for converting. I got my box on ebay for about 30 bucks and it makes up the core (88 gugs) of my Ig.
WARNING: This minis are exceptionally fiddly as you have to glue the arms on at the elbows. Be prepared to do lots of gluing and regluing. They are a wierd plastic, too, so if you do any converting w/ GW bits use superglue and not model cement as it doesn't bond very well between the two plastics.

Gen_eV
11-01-2006, 21:01
They look spot-on for a nice 'fire and brimstone' style Witch Hunters force. I say go for it. At that price, you'd be mad to do otherwise. They're half the cost of Standard IG.

AgentZero
11-01-2006, 21:28

My main problem with this at first was the models, and finding enough cheaply, however, I think I may have solved this problem.

I plan to use there http://www.excelsiorentertainment.com/Browse_Item_Details.asp/Item_ID/1172/categ_id/28/parent_ids/0,1,2,28/Name/Imperial_Regular_Assault_Force_(40)

Now my problem is, would you play verse these models, and do you think the gun + bayonet is good enough to count as mob weapons?

I know these wouldn't be allowed in a tournie, as they arn't GW models, but I do plan on adding SOME GW bits.

I will let you use LEGOS!
I don't care. Go ahead, make your Talos out of LEGOS.
Use the Star Wars LEGOS Droids as Necron.
It doesn't matter to me.
As long as you have a printed , or legible , army list that I can see I'm fine.
I don't care if you bring a trained puppy and use it as a Khornite Juggernaut.

Go ahead , glue some guns onto a Ken doll and tell me it's a Titan. If it's on the scorecard I'm game.

I'm very easy to get along with so long as I'm not facing a min/maxed army or a force that intentionally takes advantgae of a rules loophole.

Also, Zealots do not have to be a ragtag bunch of deviants on a rampage.
Yes, they are probably mentally unstable people , but that doesn't mean they can't be dressed nice :p
Look at the various militant groups we got in the US of A , KKK to Black Panthers etc.... they have uniforms (at times). They can dress up in similar fashion. It's entirely posible and probable that units of Zealots/Redemptionists do the same. Especially if the Zealots are sponsored by a church or an individual.

skyfyre
11-01-2006, 21:45
Nice looking models, I must say. I'd let you use them, np. It would probably be nice though if you could greenstuff the weapons or use gw bits to distinguish any heavy weapon/special weapons. Then again I have no idea what zealot weaponry choices are :)

Yorkiebar
11-01-2006, 21:56
I like the miniatures, but I wouldn't accept them as zealots. They look like Guardsmen to me.

FrostySalamanader
11-01-2006, 22:55
As I said, they arn't fluff wise zealots, they are men-at-arms.

AgentZero
11-01-2006, 23:15
As I said, they arn't fluff wise zealots, they are men-at-arms.

So now you're using non-GW figures as He-Man's best friend in a slot that doesn't exist?!:p

FrostySalamanader
12-01-2006, 00:04
So now you're using non-GW figures as He-Man's best friend in a slot that doesn't exist?!:p

I've lost you there :confused:

Eldacar
12-01-2006, 00:07
I'd be happy to let you use them, but I'd just remind you of the WYSIWYG rules to make sure you didn't break them without knowing.

FrostySalamanader
12-01-2006, 00:21
Mob weapons isn't really defined as anything, but I would be some conversions with CCW and such.

AgentZero
12-01-2006, 03:10
I've lost you there :confused:

Man-at-Arms, He-Man's buddy.
Chronopia figures= non-GW
Zealots that aren't really Zealots:p

mkerr
12-01-2006, 05:20

The models look great and I don't think anyone would have a problem with you using them.

You have a different problem. You can't take Zealots as a part of taking Allied Witchhunters. You have to fill two compulsory troops from the WH list before you can take Zealots (i.e., Zealots do not count as compulsory troops).

Since you can only take 0-2 Troops as allies, you won't be able to take Zealots (they would have to be your 3rd WH Troops choice).

starlight
12-01-2006, 05:24
I'm fine with the models.:D However, mkerr has (as usual:p) an excellent point.:(

hiram
12-01-2006, 05:55
Damn I didn't even think of that but its a damn good idea.

FrostySalamanader
12-01-2006, 06:24
The models look great and I don't think anyone would have a problem with you using them.

You have a different problem. You can't take Zealots as a part of taking Allied Witchhunters. You have to fill two compulsory troops from the WH list before you can take Zealots (i.e., Zealots do not count as compulsory troops).

Since you can only take 0-2 Troops as allies, you won't be able to take Zealots (they would have to be your 3rd WH Troops choice).

Really? 0-2 Ally troop selection?

mkerr
12-01-2006, 06:31
Really? 0-2 Ally troop selection?

Sadly. You would have to use them as two seperate detachments.

Gen_eV
12-01-2006, 12:23
Zealots don't count as compulsory troops. Therefore, when you have the option for 2-6 Troops in a Standard FOC, you cannot have them count as the first two.

But when taking allies, there are no compulsory troops. You are allowed to take none if you so desire, only taking a HQ for example. Therefore, there arent any compulsory slots for you to fill with non-zealots.

Of course, as Allies you will have to take Compulsory troops from the Host army list before taking any allies, ie two crusader squads.

FrostySalamanader
12-01-2006, 22:41
Ahhh, I see.

Then I can still make this work, thanks :)

grickherder
13-01-2006, 23:41
I think it's a great idea. They'd make excellent men at arms.

There are some that just don't understand the appeak of DIY armies. For example, taking Sisters of Battle in a 40k army to count as rookie marines or a subclass of troopers raised from the planet that were found unworthy of transformation into marines but still good as well equipped troopers.

Or taking Fantasy Lizardmen and using them as daemons in a reptillian themed Chaos army.

Having a Feudal System themed Black Templars army complete with men at arms from the peasant/serf class is brilliant-- do it!

HiveFleetJomama
14-01-2006, 00:00
I agree, go for it. While they don't look like fanatical raving lunatics, 40 plastic troops for $35 isn't too shabby, compared to GW's prices. They don't look too bad, either! Good luck!

SepulchreKnight
16-01-2006, 20:18
They look ok, but to me, they arent as well sculpted as GW stuff. If you like them, just use them, and as many have said, be sure to add GW bitz.

For my SOB zealots which I think would be similar in look to what you are looking for, I used a mix of marine and empire militia bits and used old las, auto and flame pistols with medieval looking weapons or chain swords. A wide assortment of heads with interchangeable torsos give a semi-tech feel with a futre based look. ( I made evisarators with a bolter and chain sword in the front.)

Rick_1138
16-01-2006, 20:49
i would go for it, as we in our local store, Aberdeen, have WIZYWIG rules, and some of the staff are very anal about it, this is not a company line, its just the area managers wish!

i.e. a power weapon marine, oh but i can't use a chainsword!! where in the rules does it say what a power weapon must look like!!!!

sorry but if this is the way the company may go, i feel a strongly worded letter to GW headquarters questioning their outlook on the model community!

Nkari
18-01-2006, 13:20
Friendly game.. heck yeah..

Tournament.. no.. ;)