PDA

View Full Version : brets save?

grailknight
24-08-2009, 21:24
whats the best combo for making a survivable lord?

ive seen somwhere a 1+ armour save howvere i thought the best you could get was a 2+ anyone any clues ?

Tarian
24-08-2009, 21:25
You can get whatever your legal equipment could.

A mounted Bret lord (2+) with the helm (6+) would have a combined 1+.

grailknight
24-08-2009, 21:54
but doesthe helm give a cumulative effect?
certain empire items work in a simialr way but surely if the enchantyed shield is 5+ then you take full plate which is a 4+ theis would just cancel the shiled out?

Drachen_Jager
24-08-2009, 21:57
My general has a (-1)+ save. As far as I know this is as low as it's possible to get, there are no actual restrictions however other than what kit you can get.

No, items stack for these purposes, you can only take one magic armour however.

Tarian
24-08-2009, 22:08
They stack if they state that they combine as normal.

Helm of Fortune for HE, which I think is quite similar to the Bret helm, specifically states that it combines with mundane equipment as normal for a 1+ save when mounted, barded, shielded, and fully armored.

Drachen_Jager
24-08-2009, 22:33
I think it's the opposite (don't have books handy, could be wrong), items stack for armour save unless they say they won't stack.

Unuhexium
24-08-2009, 22:51
Yup, what he said. Armour always stack unless specified otherwise on the individual item. It's only the HE book that's extra clear on this. It's sort of needed though as most of their magic armour gives a normal save in addition to some special effect. (4+ armour) + (5+ enchanted shield) = 2+ total save. Put the guy on a horse for another 6+ armour that modfies the save to 1+ and if the horse has barding, this is is further modified to 0+. You still roll 2+ to save, but 1+ and 0+ means that your character can soak up one respectively two points of armour penetration and still get maximum armour.

In short: Your armour can go as low as your gear allows, but you're rolling +2 to save even if the armour is lower.

Note though that this only applies to normal armoursaves. Wardsaves and other specials follow other rules.

Malorian
24-08-2009, 22:52
whats the best combo for making a survivable lord?

ive seen somwhere a 1+ armour save howvere i thought the best you could get was a 2+ anyone any clues ?

Doesn't matter. You don't want a bret lord to be survivable, you want him to be worth his points in kills, or at least make him functional like OnceBitten's monster hunting lord.

Brets are all about the charge and if your lord is taking attacks back either you did something wrong or his blessing will be enough anyway.

The best defence is a strong offence!

Tarian
24-08-2009, 22:56
Well, most magic armour in the HE book that I can think of has the "Can combine" clause, so maybe it's an elf thing.

Jushak
24-08-2009, 23:36
I'm quite sure most magical armor that combine with other armor have the clause. Enchanted Shield I'm 99% sure has it at least, and that's the only commonly available item that combines with other armor.

The thing here is note that "armor" does not equal shield, mount + barding etc. Getting magical armor replaces the current one, which - if my memory serves me right - is heavy armor for paladins/lords. You still get to combine the armor save with rest of the modifiers, i.e. barded mount, shield etc.

Magical armour is usually one of three things: a shield, a suit of body armor or a helm. First and the last one would combine with your armor (and have the clause saying they stack) while the middle one would replace heavy armor in your case.

Shorter answer would be that your lord doesn't ride to battle naked just because he has enchanted shield or helm ;)

lachlin
25-08-2009, 00:49
According to army builder, a Lord on a warhorse with heavy armor and an enchanted shield will net you a 1+ save.

Drachen_Jager
25-08-2009, 03:20
Army builder is a great tool, but it is not a rules resource.

lachlin
25-08-2009, 03:39
Yup, and the great tool says it gives a 1+ save.

Shield of Freedom
25-08-2009, 03:42
If you have the points, and want a 1+ save then the Enchangted shield is pointless.

The Gromril great helm states that it CAN be combined with other armor as normal.

Heavy armor 5+
w/shield 4+
w/Mounted 3+
w/Barding 2+
With Gromril greathelm 1+, reroll failed saves.

For only 15 more points than an Enchanted shield.

I prefer the Silver Lance of the blessed combined with the grail Shield. You'll have to take the Grail vow for the shield, but then he auto hits with all 4 attacks all the time, and gets a Str6 on the charge, a 2+ armor save, and as long as he has the blessing, a 4+ Ward. This character has NEVER died, even in challenge with a Ancient Treeman with the Annoyance of Nettlings power that cause the challenge to last all game.

Lord Dan
25-08-2009, 07:36
Army builder is a great tool, but it is not a rules resource.

And this is not a rules forum.