PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Wood Elf but with Tree People!

ScItRiX
25-08-2009, 00:51
Im an old school guy with 40k, really new to Fantasy though. I kinda liked the idea of having a forest for an army. Here goes...

375 - Treeman Ancient: A Cluster of Radiants, Annoyance of Nettlings

115 - Branchwraith: Level 1 wizard

180 - Dryads: 15

120 - Dryads: 10

120 - Dryads: 10

345 - Treekin: 4 + Elder

345 - Treekin: 4 + Elder

285 - Treeman

2000 points exact

Suggestions? Comments? Criticism? Fireballs, ok hold the fireballs

willowdark
25-08-2009, 01:24
Your Dryad units will work better at the minimum size. Shuffle them into 4 x 8. In a mixed list there is little reason not to take 3 x 8. In a true forest list, you should really just spring for 4.

Don't take the Champ in your TKin. Trust me. This is years of experience with Wood Elves talking here. 4 TKin alone is plenty effective for the points.

Now, with the spare points take 6 Wild Riders w/ standard and the Warbanner. I'd include a Champ but it doesn't look like you have the points. Wild Riders are Forest Spirits so it is still appropriate for your theme, and this unit provides a lot of tactical flexibility.

Otherwise, it's a solid list. But you're gonna want the fast element that the Wild Riders bring. Very little in your army can win a fight against full ranks, so you'll want something that can threaten the flanks. Your Tmen are maneuverable enough to do it, but not fast enough, if that makes sense. And alone it make the list pretty one-dimensional. Wild Riders will add some much needed depth.

ScItRiX
25-08-2009, 02:10
I was seriously considering the wild riders. I think your right and that extra speed will be a great assest. So now it looks like this...

375 - Treeman Ancient: A Cluster of Radiants, Annoyance of Nettlings

96 - Dryads: 8

260 - Treekin: 4

260 - Treekin: 4

199 - Wild Riders: 6, standard, warbanner

285 - Treeman

1993 points

willowdark
25-08-2009, 14:49
Perfect. Let us know how it plays.

Wolf 11x
25-08-2009, 15:05
Looks good to me. However, what is the point of the 2 Level 1s? Dispel Dice? That's a ton of points for 2 rather unnecessary characters...

If you're curious, here is my own Forest Spirit army:

Forest Spirits - 2000

Treeman Ancient - 375
Annoyance of Netlings, Cluster of Radiants

Wood Elf Noble - 190
Wild Rider Kindred, Great Stag, HoDA

Spellsinger - 172
Level 1, Glamourweave Kindred, Elven Steed, 2 Dispel Scrolls

4 x 8 Dryads - 384

5 Wild Riders - 130
^Accompanied by Noble

6 Wild Riders - 199
Standard, Warbanner

4 Treekin - 260

Treeman - 285

Total - 1995

I haven't played it extensively. :P It is more friendly than anything else and includes a lot of units that I just like. I don't think Forest Spirits can be competitive.

willowdark
25-08-2009, 15:46
Looks good to me. However, what is the point of the 2 Level 1s? Dispel Dice? That's a ton of points for 2 rather unnecessary characters...

Check it out. You could drop those BWs for a single Scroll Caddy with the Glamourweave Kindred and a Unicorn and run her with your Wild Riders for MR(2) and 2 additional st6 attacks on the charge. On the end of the unit you can put her corner to corner with just one RnF troop on the flank, deliver the st6 attacks and likely not even need to worry about any attacks back. And if you do fail to wound you have a ward save against the attack back.

You get 2 scrolls instead of +2 DD, MR(2) and _some_ combat boost. Considering that the combat boost to the Dryads that you get from the BW is pretty marginal to begin with, it really seems to me like a better use of the points. 2 Scrolls alone sells it for me.

ScItRiX
25-08-2009, 23:42
After figuring up some points, if I take out the 2 BW's and add a spell caddy with 2 DS's, glamourweave kindred, on a unicorn, leaves me 12 points shy. So one squad of Dryads will be at 9, unless there's something im missing.