PDA

View Full Version : Charging off the table

Lord Dan
25-08-2009, 01:26
A Hydra has broken from combat with a dragon on the Dark Elf turn, and the Hydra is now 8 inches from the table edge with a dragon 4 inches behind it. On the HE turn the dragon declares a charge on the fleeing Hydra. The Hydra rolls a 10 for it's fleeing distance, which takes it off the table.

Does the Dragon pursue off of the table, or is it considered a failed charge?

Necromancy Black
25-08-2009, 01:31
Should be a failed charge as the unit is destroyed the moment it hits the table edge (it's impassible terrain to fleeing units).

Of course in this case the Dragon is still going to move 20" and fly off the table edge.

wolf40k
25-08-2009, 01:38
Now I'm wondering, can a failed charge take you off the table or do you just stop at the edge?

Lord Dan
25-08-2009, 03:19
Now I'm wondering, can a failed charge take you off the table or do you just stop at the edge?

This is really the question at hand. I can't find anything in the BRB. We diced it off in the game, and he took his dragon off the board (away from the prying eyes of my bolt throwers :cries:)

wolf40k
25-08-2009, 03:36
I guess that it would make sense if you go off the board edge considering that you can pursue a running unit that you broke in combat of the edge. So why not a failed charge.

Lord Dan
25-08-2009, 03:41
I guess that it would make sense if you go off the board edge considering that you can pursue a running unit that you broke in combat of the edge. So why not a failed charge.

My only argument would be that a non-fleeing unit stops when it hits impassible terrain in the event of any movement (failed charge, pursuit). As in this case the dragon would no longer be pursing anything and would be simply moving it's failed charge, would it treat the table edge as any other piece of impassible terrain?

Condottiere
25-08-2009, 04:16
It's not normally impassable, since you can re-enter the next turn. Unless you happen to place a lake at that edge.

Nurgling Chieftain
25-08-2009, 05:48
It's not normally impassable...The table edge is considered impassable terrain in WFB (BRB, pg 15, box on bottom right). The only exceptions are fleeing and pursuit, so otherwise you hit the table edge and stop facing the wrong way and still targetable. Beware!

Condottiere
25-08-2009, 06:17
When you're in pursuit, you're off the table, unless something blocks, in which case it also destroyed those you were pursuing, unless they happen to be, for example amphibious, and you aren't.

Necromancy Black
25-08-2009, 06:52
The table edge is considered impassable terrain in WFB (BRB, pg 15, box on bottom right). The only exceptions are fleeing and pursuit, so otherwise you hit the table edge and stop facing the wrong way and still targetable. Beware!

Ah, good point. Charging is not fleeing so chargers can not leave the table.

T10
25-08-2009, 07:03
This is correct. The fleeing unit leaves the table, but the charging unit ends its move at the table edge.

-T10

Nurgling Chieftain
25-08-2009, 07:09
When you're in pursuit, you're off the table, unless something blocks, in which case it also destroyed those you were pursuing, unless they happen to be, for example amphibious, and you aren't.Pursuit is an exception to the normal rule that the table edge is impassable. Citing it as a way of claiming the table edge isn't impassable for other purposes is nonsense. If that's not what you're trying to claim in this latest post, then frankly I have no idea what you're talking about. Regardless, I strongly suggest you look at the reference I provided before arguing further, as WFB is actually very specific that the table edge is outwardly impassable except where otherwise noted (fleeing and pursuit).

EvC
25-08-2009, 12:07
Indeed if you are charging a unit and your move would send you to the edge of the table, you stop. You don't charge off the table (Despite numerous people being absolutely sure you can- including Gav Thorpe when he wrote the rules for raids in White Dwarf a few months back!).

Here's a queerious situation though: what happens if you break an enemy in combat and roll high enough to go off the table, but run into an enemy and make it flee off the table as well? Does this count as pursuit (and so you go off the table) or does it count as a charge (so you stop at the table egde)?

T10
25-08-2009, 12:22
Obviously the game crashes and you will have to start over from the last successful armour save.

-T10

Necromancy Black
25-08-2009, 12:38
Does this count as pursuit (and so you go off the table) or does it count as a charge (so you stop at the table egde)?

Doesn't count as a charge unless you make base to base contact right? And if the unit flees you have to keep moving on the original pursuit move?

Either way I don't think that's covered, being a GW game.

EvC
25-08-2009, 12:54
Well what I refer to is if you would make contact and the enemy charges, so you chase after them. I guess what I'm writing means it doesn't really count as a pursuit any more.

Nurgling Chieftain
25-08-2009, 17:51
I think it's still a pursuit move at that point - specifically, "pursuit into fresh enemy", which is still a type of pursuit move.

EvC
25-08-2009, 17:59
Aha, genius! Works for me :D