PDA

View Full Version : Dragon in unit Vs new Anvil Of Doom.

Baindread
11-01-2006, 13:44
The title says it all.

What are the targeting options of the new Anvil Of Doom if the player wants to target a dragon in a unit of RnF with the Rune Of Wrath and Ruin? Who can you target, who suffers what effect?

Borthcollective
11-01-2006, 14:20
Fairly certain that the dragon can be targeted seperately or with the unit as his size makes him a viable target in most situations.

Baindread
12-01-2006, 01:38
I would think so too as he is a large target and the ROWAR follows the rules of shooting.

But what are the effects? Who suffers what?

NakedFisherman
12-01-2006, 01:46
Bigger model in a unit of smaller models -- he's targeted separately.

zKoTTe
12-01-2006, 08:44
but a dragon can't join a unit, it's a flying unit

Atrahasis
12-01-2006, 09:05
but a dragon can't join a unit, it's a flying unit

Flying Unit != Unit of Flyers

As long as there is a character on the dragon, the character and dragon can join any unit that is not specifically prohibited (Skirmishers, Chariots etc).

Baindread
12-01-2006, 12:27
I know the rules about targeting, I would just like some confirmation on some things.

The ROWAR is subject under the rules of shooting, right?

Both the unit and the dragon are affected by the slowing effect, right?

The dragon OR the unit suffers the hit(s), depending on who I target?

Latro
12-01-2006, 12:37
My guess would be:

- The Dragon can be targeted due to his size ... since it is the target, it will also suffer all effects by itself (half movement if I remember correctly).

- As long as the Dragon is with the unit, the combined unit moves at the speed of its slowest member ... which might be the Dragon in case of cavalry.

- As soon as the Dragon leaves the unit it will still move half-speed and the unit moves normally (as always).

It's a guess, but it does make sense if you ask me.

:cool:

Avian
12-01-2006, 12:39
Both the unit and the dragon are affected by the slowing effect, right?

The dragon OR the unit suffers the hit(s), depending on who I target?
Whichever you target will suffer the effects, though when it comes to slowness the dragon will be slower than the infantry (reduced to M3) and thus slow them down unless the dragon leaves the unit.

Baindread
12-01-2006, 12:39
Thanks for the replies.

One last thing. Is the "Rune Of Wrath And Ruin" subject under the rules of shooting? It says in the book that they are shooting hits but this got contested during our last game.

Baindread
12-01-2006, 12:42
Whichever you target will suffer the effects, though when it comes to slowness the dragon will be slower than the infantry (reduced to M3) and thus slow them down unless the dragon leaves the unit.

In this case it was a dragon in a unit of eternal guards so the dragon could only move as fast as the elves. Am I correct in that assumption? (I then assume that the rune affects the entire unit as the dragon is in fact a part of it, if I choose to target it).

Borthcollective
12-01-2006, 13:55
If you target the dragon only the dragon is affected, if you target the unit then the unit and all models in it are affected.

The effects on the dragon will affect the unit because of it's reduced speed, but if it leaves, they will be ok, if it was the target as opposed to targeting the unit.

Baindread
12-01-2006, 14:37
If you target the dragon only the dragon is affected, if you target the unit then the unit and all models in it are affected.

The effects on the dragon will affect the unit because of it's reduced speed, but if it leaves, they will be ok, if it was the target as opposed to targeting the unit.

This is what bothers me. Are ALL models in a unit affected by a spell if it has an effect which affects units?

Borthcollective
12-01-2006, 15:23
That's one of the negatives of joining up with a unit.

If you target the Dragon you are targeting it, no matter if it's in a unit or not. That's the negative of being large target. Effects that affect units don't go off on the unit unless you are attacking the unit. It's your option to affect the dragon and rider only so long as they are the original target.

Now if you were to do something that affected the unit, it would affect them both.

Baindread
12-01-2006, 17:15
That's one of the negatives of joining up with a unit.

If you target the Dragon you are targeting it, no matter if it's in a unit or not. That's the negative of being large target. Effects that affect units don't go off on the unit unless you are attacking the unit. It's your option to affect the dragon and rider only so long as they are the original target.

Now if you were to do something that affected the unit, it would affect them both.

Sounds logical enough to me. Do you know a page reference for these kind of things in BRB or any FAQ? It is damn hard to find any.

Festus
12-01-2006, 18:14
Hi

Ruleswise the dragon and its rider(s) are members of the unit *in all respects* (thanks MageIth :) ) as long as they are joined up, so anything that affects the unit affects the dragon as well. It's in the character's section.

The dragon can be picked out by the shooting rules only, as he is considerably larger than the surrounding troops.

Greetings
Festus

Jim Reaper
12-01-2006, 18:41

Not true - the Rune of Wrath & Ruin does not decrease the Dragon's Movement characteristic as it is a Flying creature, so the RoW&R instead stops it from flying in the next turn. It's an either/or thing, stops Flyers from flying and halves the Movement of non-Flyers.

As to the original question, I would imagine you can freely target the Dragon seperately (the rule mentions that the RoW&R can be targeted at ICs if they are (or are sitting on) a Large Target), but that the effects wouldn't carry on to the unit. Just like normal shooting in fact.

Festus
12-01-2006, 18:46
Hi

A unit always moves as slow as its slowest member.

If it was a carnosaur (who, if I understood correctly would halve his movement as he is not a flyer), the unit had to either slow down, or the carnosaur had to leave the unit.

Note that the unit cannot leave the Carnosaur/character, as it is always characters joining or leaving units.

Greetings
Festus

Baindread
12-01-2006, 20:42
So....to sum things up.

Whether or not I target the dragon, both the unit and the dragon are affected by the rune? The dragon loses his flying movement and the unit halve its ground movement? And whoever I targeted suffers the hits?

Another question about dragons. Can they fly into and out of a unit using its flying movement?

Festus
12-01-2006, 20:58
Hi

Another question about dragons. Can they fly into and out of a unit using its flying movement?
Yes, if able to fly (ie. not in a wood for example).

Remember that you may never combine flying and ground movement.

Greetings
Festus

Borthcollective
12-01-2006, 21:13
Also remember that if they are leaving the unit they must fly out before the units moves, if it's going somewhere else.