PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elves - slightly mental almost all plastic

Odin
11-01-2006, 12:52
I wanted to start a Wood Elves army, and the logical place to start seems the Batallion box (24 glade guard, 12 dryads, 8 glade riders)

Problem is, none of them are really at their optimum unit strength. Dryads don't need units much bigger than 8, as they can't have ranks, so the extra troops are pretty much wasted. So I decided to get an extra box, giving me a total of 24 Dryads - 3 units of 8.

8 Glade Riders in a unit also seems excessive to me (anyone disagree?), so I decided on an extra box of them, giving me 16 riders, to be slit into a unit of 6 and 2 units of 5.

Then there's the Glade Guard. I wanted 2 units, so the 24 models in the boxed batallion actually seems about right. Problem is, I wanted a small unit of 6-8 scouts as well. That means buying another box of 16 extra glade guards, giving me a total of 40. I reckon 1 unit of 12 GGs, 2 units of 10 GGs, and one unit of 8 Scouts.

This gives me the following troops...

12 Glade Guard, inc. Hawkeye & Musician 156

10 Glade Guard, inc. Hawkeye 126

10 Glade Guard, inc. Hawkeye 126

8 Scouts, inc. Hawkeye 142

6 Glade Riders, inc. Horse-Master & Musician 165

5 Glade Riders, inc. Musician 127

5 Glade Riders, inc. Musician 127

8 Dryads, inc. Branch Nymph 108

Grand total... 1293

The question is, am I bonkers? Or could this work?

Rikkjourd
12-01-2006, 00:31
I dont see any problems with the list, although I dont play WE. I got another tip for you though. Get two battalion sets instead, should save you some cash. It means an extra 8 archer models. Then get a pack of green stuff. All the better kinds of archers (for ex. waywatchers etc) and characters can be made from normal models by just using the fanciest bitz, a slightly different paint job and some GS. That is what I would do to save cash and make some unique units.

chumchu
12-01-2006, 13:34
It could work but i would drop a unit of glade riders and all hawkeyes and horsemasters as Bs champions are very,very bad.
You need some more CC units though

Odin
12-01-2006, 14:47
It could work but i would drop a unit of glade riders and all hawkeyes and horsemasters as Bs champions are very,very bad.
You need some more CC units though

Hmmm, I can understand dropping the horse-master (I only really put him in there for flavour), but the Hawkeyes are only 6 points each. The Bs is only moderately useful Iíll admit (though not worthless), but if they end up against a big, weak unit with a killy hero it can be very useful. Iíll give an exampleÖ

Unit of Glade Guard gets charged by a zombie unit with a Vampire Count. They stand and shoot, killing several zombies, but theyíre never going to win the combat. If the GG have no champion, the Vamp will cause carnage among the unit, and thatíll be pretty much game over for them. However, if the GG have a champion, he can challenge the Vamp (dying horribly no doubt). The zombies are unlikely to do very much damage. In any case, the GGs will flee. They have a half-decent chance of surviving, especially if you have sensibly placed counter-attacking units to discourage pursuit. You still have most of the Glade Guard left, so they can rally (with the assistance of the musician), and rejoin the battle.

Iím not saying it will always be useful, but it can help, and 6 points isnít much. I think Iíll keep the Hawkeyes and lose the Horse-Master.

I will probably cut out one unit of Glade Riders and just have 2 units of 6 or 7. Iím going to try to use the spare riders as replacement Warhawk riders (I donít like the models for these guys).

Odin
12-01-2006, 18:46
I dont see any problems with the list, although I dont play WE. I got another tip for you though. Get two battalion sets instead, should save you some cash. It means an extra 8 archer models. Then get a pack of green stuff. All the better kinds of archers (for ex. waywatchers etc) and characters can be made from normal models by just using the fanciest bitz, a slightly different paint job and some GS. That is what I would do to save cash and make some unique units.

Nice idea, I could make myself some Waywatchers.

Anyway, I think I'll cut back a bit on the plastics. I was taken with the idea of getting 2 battalions for a while, but I've decided to just have 1 unit of 6 glade riders and another unit of 6 Wild Riders. I'm probably going to get a single sprue of Dryads, as I only really want 2 units of 8. So the only other plastic box I will need is an extra box of 16 Glade Guard to turn into another unit of GG and a small unit of Waywatchers/Scouts.

So the army stands at....

Noble - either a Wild Rider, or mounted on a Great Eagle

Spellsinger (Level 2) with Deepwood Sphere & Dispel Scroll (175)

Branchwraith (Level 1) with Annoyance of Netlings & Cluster of Radiants (165)

12 Glade Guard with Hawkeye & Musician (156)

10 Glade Guard with Musician (126)

10 Glade Guard with Musician (126)

8 Dryads, inc. Branch Nymph (108)

8 Dryads, inc. Branch Nymph (108)

6 Glade Riders, inc. Musician (151)

6 Wild Riders, inc. Full Command & War Banner (217)

3 Warhawk Riders (120) - converted from glade riders

8 Waywatchers (192)

Nearing 1700 points.... not a bad start I think. Add some Wardancers and I'm nearly there.

Yak
13-01-2006, 14:48
There are enough swords on the plastic glade riders and glade guard sprues to make two-sword wielding wardancers. Simply paint the clothes morelike skin and put some GS in the hole where their cloaks attach and you've got yourself some cheap wardancers.

Also you can easily make treekin out of dryads. The only other bits you need are 40mm bases and some plastic kroot heads:

Here (http://woodelves.org/Asrai/viewtopic.php?t=1785&highlight=) is a thread from Asrai.org about someone with the same problem. Check the picture of the converted treekin.