PDA

View Full Version : Black orcs vs. Squig herds!

Deglosh
25-08-2009, 19:18
Squig herds vs. Black orcs?
What is really best? if using the herds as combat units

Caiphas Cain
25-08-2009, 19:22
Squig herd usually survive the march to combat... because they are goblins. Black orcs are usualy demolished before they get into combat because they are scary.

So, if you have a large amount of meatshields, go for Black orcs. If not, Squig herds.

Deglosh
25-08-2009, 19:39
yea thats what i was thinking. Take herds instead of Black orcs. Its not just that the Blorcs are expensive for what they achieve, they get smahsed aswell.

bork da basher
25-08-2009, 20:30
black orcs tend to be all or nothing. face a shooty army and they get ripped apart early on but if they survive the march in they can generally do something worthwhile. the minis are so awesome it would be a shame not to use them to. squigs on the other hand are hilarious and equally killy.

take both.

puppetmaster24
25-08-2009, 20:40
i would take a squig herd just because it eats everything when it explodes.

Guard of Itza
25-08-2009, 21:02
The squig heard provides two roles. Shock troop and suicide bomb. The black orcs are not only more expensive but also only are shock troops.

Malorian
25-08-2009, 22:09
Only reason I would take black orcs is if I was taking Grimgor.

Just make sure to keep that squig herd away from your lines so that is doesn't end up blowing you up!

Deglosh
27-08-2009, 09:45
Yea im not going to field Grimgor, so i was thinking like this "Why take very expensive black orcs that will most likely get nuked and cause panic in my ranks when they flee, wich they most likely will (i play against a dwarf friend, heeh), when i can take a big block of squigherds, they are verry hitty, they are gobbos, so my orcs dont mind if they flee, AND they are immune to psychology, wich is great in a O&G army.

Ofcourse i would have to "hide them" so they dont get nuked and then eat the rest of my army. Maybe taking both wouldnt be such a bad thing afterall, come to think about it, hehehe. They have to nuke one of them, but one will survive

plantagenet
27-08-2009, 11:51
Can you not take out his war machines before he takes out either unit?

I know Dwarfs will tend to have more war machines than most armies but due to the fact that they usually castle up rock lobbers and Doom Divers have a better chance of hitting more than one warmachine each shot.

Against Dwarfs for example I would be tempted to drop my usual bolt throwers and stick in a second rock Lobber. 2 Rock Lobbers and a Doom Diver could cause real concern for the dwarf player. I wouldnt do this in a tournament army as I feel Bolt throwers are more reliable and better against Knights and smaller elite units so like to field the mix.

Only problem with Squig herders are that they are expensive to buy compared to Black orcs.

Grupax
27-08-2009, 12:00
-black orcs can be given command, waagh banner/banner of butchery, and don't test for animosity + they move when the waagh is called.
-when they fail a break test, there's still a chance they aren't caught and can rally.
-they have better AS and toughness.

squig herds have on the other hand 2str5 attacks each with good ws, and hatred vs dwarves :p. BUT die miserably when charged
(small units are a waste of special slots if you just use them for their exploding effects.)

personally i prefer hoppers all the way if I want to go agressive; ItP, 3d6 move, no terrain penalties, and works like a charm in units of 7-10, basicly a cheaper, faster, and just as hitty unit.

Urgat
27-08-2009, 14:32
The black orcs are not only more expensive but also only are shock troops.

And not very good at that.
Well I take squig hoppers, so I'm kindda out of the debate :p

Malorian
27-08-2009, 15:14
With Grimgor black orcs win, but without (meaning you spent the cost of Grimgor on something else) the herd does.

Makaber
27-08-2009, 16:07
But Black Orcs are reliable troops in an unreliable army. Personally, I'd take both.

Urgat
27-08-2009, 17:09
They're too expensive for what they are or the role they play in said army. I never miss them when I don't play them, when I play them, I miss them after a couple turns of shooting :p

Malorian
27-08-2009, 17:54
But Black Orcs are reliable troops in an unreliable army. Personally, I'd take both.

When you can take twice as many regular orcs for the same cost AND free up a special slot at the same time that easily trumps 'reliable'.

selone
27-08-2009, 17:58
I'd take neither but if you absolutely have to have either, try squig herds versus fear causing enemies and Black orcs versus not.
Both suffer from missile fire, squig herds execptionally so.

PARTYCHICORITA
27-08-2009, 18:15
squig herds. no contest.

Currently they are one of the best units in the O&G book while the poor black orcs are one of the worsts units in the game.

BlackVomit
27-08-2009, 18:41
Since you are facing a dwarf army, I would take 2 large Squig Herd units over a unit of Black orcs. Large = 21 Squigs/14 Herders = 105 pts each. You will have 2 units that are immune to phys and have 2A WS4 S5 with HATRED against dwarfs. Make sure that you place the herders in the middle of the unit for combat.

Does your opponent tend to castle? And does he have a heavy magic defense?
If Yes and No, I recommend going magic heavy using the Little Waaagh. Remember that the Mork wants Ya spell can be used to target a warmachine directly (which auto fails the initiative tests)....

Deglosh
27-08-2009, 21:15
Well the herds are 30 points/ hunting team. Hes got the runesmith, cannon, organgun :P hehe. Ill prob buy both anyways, they are both units of great looking models. What ill play will be decided later i guess =)

i currently use 6 hoppers, BTW, against my chaos and dwarf friends. the hoppers are great to divert my friends chaos knights. He doesnt want them in his flank/rear on the knights when they have enterd combat, heheh. They ARE great for diverting and threatening a flank, especially if the opponent is not shooty.

Fobster
28-08-2009, 12:16
Squigherds and squighoppers are some of the best units in the book. If you think your herd might get shot up you need to screen them a little, or failing that put them out on a flank. If deployed smartly they can be really good. Really need to keep them moving forward away from you half so they blow up when they die.