PDA

View Full Version : The White Sword when mounted...HELP!

Quannum
25-08-2009, 21:20
Hey all,

Thinking about using a High Elf Noble with the White Sword mounted on a barded Elven steed. Even though he is mounted, my understanding is that the White Sword requires two hands but is not defined as a great weapon and therefore still grants the +2 Strength bonus. Usually, a mounted great weapon only gives a +1 Strength bonus, but seeing as the White Sword doesn't appear to be a great weapon, am I correct in my assumption?

Q

The_O
25-08-2009, 21:40
"Model on foot only."

Aranel
25-08-2009, 21:41
Sorry mate, white sword can only be used by a model on foot!

Quannum
25-08-2009, 21:44
Thanks! Can't believe I missed it.

Condottiere
26-08-2009, 03:18
Here's an interesting thought, buy the White Sword and a Lance, and use a Chariot.

Use the Lance while mounted and once the Chariot is destroyed, use the Sword.

Now, would that work?

ConfuciusCubed
26-08-2009, 04:56
Here's an interesting thought, buy the White Sword and a Lance, and use a Chariot.

Use the Lance while mounted and once the Chariot is destroyed, use the Sword.

Now, would that work?I can't recall where I read this (probably in the errata/FAQ section of GW) but I'm pretty sure you can't field a weapon as backup and wait to use it until they fit the qualifications. If someone has the White Sword they may not be on a chariot, even if they're not using it.

DaRKeSTBLaDe
26-08-2009, 07:47
Yes, it says "models on foot only" not "may only be used on foot". You can only take it for models on foot.

Slayerthane
26-08-2009, 15:41
Also if you take a magic weapon and a mundane weapon, you always need to use the magic weapon in combat...cannot switch between mundane and magic weapons. I know it's in the rulebook somewhere...

EndlessBug
26-08-2009, 16:06
I believe Condottiere was meanign you buy it for the model on foot and mount him on a chariot. Whether or not this has to be decided before the battle i do not know, if not then yes you may use this combo. However once you have selected a weapon to use in a combat you cannot switch to another weapon. So by charging and using the lance (because you cannot use the sword) you've selected the lance for all subsequent rounds of combat with the opposing unit.

Although of course I believe it's irrelevant because the chariot should be taken as a permanant mount.

Zensunni
26-08-2009, 17:08
No no no. You can only use the White Sword when your model is on foot. You cannot mount him in a chariot, drago, horse or anythign else and use the white sword.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
26-08-2009, 19:54
It sucks. One of the guys at GW said (before high elves had come out with the new army book) that it would be as it is but one handed. Essentially you are paying all those points for killing blow and amulet of light that works on one guy. I have never and will not likely ever use the white sword.