PDA

View Full Version : Lance bonus for Stegadon War-Spear

snowywlf
25-08-2009, 21:31
I did some searching but couldnt find anything related to this specific question.

The Warhammer Fantasy Rulebook page 121 says "Magic weapons always ignore any special rules that apply to an ordinary weapon of the same type unless otherwise specified in the description of the weapon."

The Stegadon War-Spear states that it is a Lance, and then continues to describe the extra benefits (+1d6 impact hits).

My question is, does the Lance confer +2 Strength on the charge for the Skink Chief?

Most places I have seen discussing the SWS assume it confers the +2 Strength. I am unsure because of the ambiguity of the "ignore any special rules that apply to an ordinary weapon of the same type" part. Does the fact that the SWS specifically states it is a Lance mean it gets the +2 Strength on charge?

puppetmaster24
25-08-2009, 21:36
if it states it is a lance then it is a lance.

nosferatu1001
25-08-2009, 21:53
Don't overread: by stating "lance" this means it follows all the rules for lances, incliuding the +2S

It is fairly nasty: average of 8 impact hits followed by 6 S6 attacks.

snowywlf
25-08-2009, 21:59
So the interpretation of "Magic weapons always ignore any special rules that apply to an ordinary weapon of the same type unless otherwise specified in the description of the weapon" that you two are using is this:

If a weapon specifies in its description that it is of a certain type (Lance in this instance) then it gains the benefits of the weapon type, regardless of the above rule.

Instead of:

Unless a magic weapon description specifically states the bonuses, ignore the benefits of the weapon type.

I'm not arguing one way or the other, but I think this rule is (surprise surprise) poorly written. Just trying to get input.

Sirroelivan
25-08-2009, 22:13
The thing with magic weapons is, they are a separate branch of weaponry actually (so for example, a sword of battle doesn't count as a handweapon).
That why that rule is in place, they just don't follow the common rules that might apply for a similar common weapon.

However, if they mention a common weapon rule, for example hand weapon, or lance in your example, the mentioned rule does apply of course.

nosferatu1001
25-08-2009, 22:46
So why wouldnt something stating, in it's rules, "lance" actually follow the rules for a lance?

It's also not our interpretation, but GW - for example see the BRB FAQ part 2 where, if you become unmounted with a magical lance you must drop it, as a lance can only be used when mounted.

"Lance" fully describes the bonuses you would expect to get. Really, truly, 100%.

Necromancy Black
26-08-2009, 00:04
It is fairly nasty: average of 8 impact hits followed by 6 S6 attacks.

Don't forget they're also magical! Charge through those spirit hosts!

nosferatu1001
26-08-2009, 00:31
Indeed, magical glowing horns would probably make the hosts go away.....

mr_vespa
26-08-2009, 15:23
So the Skink Chief could one of a new breed of exorcists? lol :p

The War-Spear itself grants the Skink Chief magical attacks (and the Lance bonus), but would it also grant the Steggy magical attacks?

Jetty Smurf
26-08-2009, 15:39
I think it only makes the stegadon's impact hits magical.

But someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :D

tarrasque
26-08-2009, 15:45
i feel free to say you are right

nosferatu1001
26-08-2009, 17:26
Impact hits - magical with spear

Normal attacks - no change.

All from the FAQ :)

mr_vespa
26-08-2009, 17:53
It's what I thought. Thankies :D

Necromancy Black
27-08-2009, 00:01
Impact hits - magical with spear

Normal attacks - no change.

All from the FAQ :)

Hang on, what?

Q. Page 99. Stegadon War-spear. Are the 2D6+1 impact hits magical hits ?
A. Yes.

Where does it say the cheifs attacks are normal? Both sets of attacks are in fact magical.

Nurgling Chieftain
27-08-2009, 00:35
Hang on, what?He didn't write what you seem to think he wrote.

Both sets of attacks are in fact magical.Huh? The impact hits are magical, per the FAQ. The rest of the attacks' magic status is unchanged by the FAQ, leaving the lance's attacks as magical and the stegadon's attacks as non-magical.

nosferatu1001
27-08-2009, 00:55
I meant the normal steg attacks are normal, as that was the question asked ;)

Necromancy Black
27-08-2009, 01:23
Ah ok, you meant the stegadons attacks were normal, I thought you meant the Chiefs.

nosferatu1001
27-08-2009, 01:29
I wasnt really specific enough - call it not enough sleep (had to get up early to get kittens to vets - neuter day!) so it made sense to me :)