PDA

View Full Version : Shadowblade Question

jax40kplyr1
26-08-2009, 01:29
Can Shadowblade infiltrate a Dwarf Runelord's anvil crew? It's technically a warmachine and has crew that is on 20mm bases, but since it comes with a character, I'm not really sure. He's really expensive, but think he could take on those annoying anvils .. . .

Jushak
26-08-2009, 01:37
Well, not having DE armybook at hand to check what Shadowblade's rule say, but I do have dwarf one:

In gaming terms, the Anvil is a war machine that cannot be moved and cannot be attacked at all, by any means

So not just technically a warmachine :)

Condottiere
26-08-2009, 01:46
I think I've seen it done - the Dwarf player, who suspected this, exchanged Thorek with a more survivable Runelord.

jax40kplyr1
26-08-2009, 01:51
He's expensive at 300 points, but if he can neutralize a runelord on anvil, could really disrupt an entire dwarven gunline army. Turn 2 pop out and replace an anvil guard, challenge the runelord, pop the potion of strength for Str 7, 5 attacks hitting on 3s with a reroll and killing blow - could be nasty.

gdsora
26-08-2009, 02:02
I believe there is no rule stating shadow blade can't pop out of a Anvil.
Same thing happens with a Tomb Kings Casket of Souls. A little broken in my mind, but oh well! I have asked this question many times in many locations, and it is yes he can pop out of the crew.

Jushak
26-08-2009, 02:34
Putting rules aside, it would be interesting to know how dark elf passes for a specifically chosen elite dwarf and manages to fake it until actual battle :p

Witchblade
26-08-2009, 02:44
Putting rules aside, it would be interesting to know how dark elf passes for a specifically chosen elite dwarf and manages to fake it until actual battle :p
He can also mimic daemonettes, chaos warriors and skeletons, so dwarves should be no problem.

Condottiere
26-08-2009, 02:51
Disguised as a skeleton without illusionary magic may be implausible.

Jushak
26-08-2009, 03:03

Elves just scream anorexia (or however you spell it :rolleyes: ) so that would propably be one of the easier ones :D

sulla
26-08-2009, 05:41
Disguised as a skeleton without illusionary magic may be implausible.If Bekham's wife can do it, I'm sure an elf could... Besides, who says assassins don't use magic to achieve the trick?

Tae
26-08-2009, 16:45
I'm not sure as to any official answer, but I know as far as the UK GT goes he cannot, as the Anvil is classed as one model and therefore he cannot infiltrate it.

xragg
26-08-2009, 17:51

He probally just wears one of those cheesey skeleton shirt/pants outfit that someone always wears to halloween parties and tops it off with a skull mask.

maze ironheart
26-08-2009, 17:54
Can Shadowblade infiltrate a Dwarf Runelord's anvil crew? It's technically a warmachine and has crew that is on 20mm bases, but since it comes with a character, I'm not really sure. He's really expensive, but think he could take on those annoying anvils .. . .

He hid in my orgam gun crew killed them BIG surprise but meet his end on the end of my lords axe along with hag grief.

Malorian
26-08-2009, 17:59
I hate Shadowblade and so does my runelord...

*sniff*

The anvil is treated as a warmachine so it is legal, and it isn't just one model as Tae suggests.

EvC
26-08-2009, 18:17
Do the Guards count as unit champions? If so that might affect the legality. I suppose Kraggi would be able to offer a challenge anyway to keep Thorek alive for a little bit.

stripsteak
26-08-2009, 18:59
There isnt anything in the anvil rules that would make the normal crew count as champions. but yes, kraggi is treated as a unit champion giving his life is just another way he can help thorek

jax40kplyr1
27-08-2009, 00:18
Heck that would be even better for Shadowblade to challenge Kraggi - easy combat res points and it keeps the runelord from using the anvil. Allows the rest of the hydras, cold one knights, etc. etc. to reach the gunline quicker. Stubborn LD 10 though is pretty reliable, especially considering he can drop the runelord to just 1 attack.

gdsora
27-08-2009, 00:21
Ugh, Hate Shadowblade
Never want to use my Casket of Souls if im playing DE. Its not worth it. Using catapults also suck cause he can/will rip through those. Ugh

Freaking shadowblade

eyescrossed
27-08-2009, 03:00
Yes, but he's three hundred points

gdsora
27-08-2009, 03:42
A plain old priest with no magic items on a casket is 280.

if the casket is gone, there goes 3 DD that your enemy was holding on to avoid the light , and most always a needed incantation, oh and the -1 to cast.

That's a huge part of a Tomb King army to be offed by one character.

Condottiere
27-08-2009, 08:06
The problem with Shadowblade is that he's so disruptive.

The only way out would be to minimize what he could effect, which would work out for the DE player anyway, as nothing expensive, powerful or worthwhile would be fielded to hold up the main Druchii force.

xragg
27-08-2009, 12:14
I like having him pop out of flamers. Its my friends most deadly/successful unit. He tends to play a nurgle tarpit with flamer support. Shadowblade completely nullifies them and flamers are enough points to justify shadowblades cost if that is all he does do.

EvC
27-08-2009, 12:55
Heck that would be even better for Shadowblade to challenge Kraggi - easy combat res points and it keeps the runelord from using the anvil. Allows the rest of the hydras, cold one knights, etc. etc. to reach the gunline quicker. Stubborn LD 10 though is pretty reliable, especially considering he can drop the runelord to just 1 attack.

How the heck would it be better? If he challenges Thorek, he probably kills Thorek. If he challenges Kraggi, he kills Kraggi but doesn't hurt Thorek. Then next turn when Shadowblade fights has will at least have lost his hatred, giving Thorek a greater chance of survival.

What's this talk of stubborn LD10 and combat res though? Anvils of Doom are unbreakable.

Condottiere
27-08-2009, 17:06
Can Kraggi challenge Shadowblade?

Tae
27-08-2009, 17:11
I hate Shadowblade and so does my runelord...

*sniff*

The anvil is treated as a warmachine so it is legal, and it isn't just one model as Tae suggests.

Just to clarify I' not suggesting it's one model (as I quite like using Shadowblade to **** all over Thorek gunline armies), but was merely reporting what my friend (who uses said gunline) was told by the ref at last year's UK GT.

Though obviously this ruling is from a GW staffer, so get that truck load of salt ready.

stripsteak
27-08-2009, 17:22
Can Kraggi challenge Shadowblade?

kraggi is a unit champion so he is able to issue challenges.

hmm looking over the rules again shadowblade can only infiltrate units/crew who are on 20/25mm bases. the anvil crew 'must remain for all the battle on the platform' and in close combat count as a unit with a 60mm frontage. it's kinda sketchy but i could see someone arguing that shadowblade can't infiltrate them since the crew is said to not be on bases but on the anvil platform.

Malorian
27-08-2009, 17:35
Though obviously this ruling is from a GW staffer, so get that truck load of salt ready.

They make big mistakes like that all the time.

Unfortunely although they know a lot they are just like us where they are going to know more about some systems over others and some armies more than others, so it really comes down to who you talk to as to what the answer will be (plus some are just plain nuts).

In a tournament I was in a while ago I had a ruling that when you overrun into a new combat you don't get charging bonus's from things like lances.

Obviously wrong but in the hopes of not totally throwing your sportsmenship score in the toilet you have to go with it...

eyescrossed
28-08-2009, 01:59
In a tournament I was in a while ago I had a ruling that when you overrun into a new combat you don't get charging bonus's from things like lances.

Obviously wrong but in the hopes of not totally throwing your sportsmenship score in the toilet you have to go with it...

Wait, you do get the lance bonus for overrunning? :eyebrows:

Malorian
28-08-2009, 03:51
Wait, you do get the lance bonus for overrunning? :eyebrows:

Of course, it's just like another charge.

eyescrossed
28-08-2009, 04:26
Of course, it's just like another charge.

Yes, but... I thought you only got the lance bonus in a turn you charged, and the next turn isn't the turn you charged....

nosferatu1001
28-08-2009, 11:44
Except overrun charges are essentially a charge in the following turn, and are treated as a new charge that turn. You get lance and all other bonuses if you overrun charge.

Malorian
28-08-2009, 13:54
Yes, but... I thought you only got the lance bonus in a turn you charged, and the next turn isn't the turn you charged....

Do you live in Edmonton? Are you actually the staffer I'm talking about?

eyescrossed
28-08-2009, 15:09
Do you live in Edmonton? Are you actually the staffer I'm talking about?

No, and I'm horribly sorry for questioning your greatness =_=