PDA

View Full Version : Shamans and fightin'

Deglosh
26-08-2009, 07:16
May be a stupid question but im confused. Can a wizard/shaman/whatever still cast all of his spells if he is in combat?

Nurgling Chieftain
26-08-2009, 07:28
He cannot cast magic missiles if he's in HtH. Also, spells cannot normally target units that are in HtH, so unless the spell he wants to cast grants an exception he can't target the unit he's fighting. Finally, LOS can be a big problem for those spells that require it. However, there's no general rule that prevents a wizard from casting spells while in close combat, and indeed there are spells designed for precisely that purpose (Flaming sword of Rhuin, most notably).

Necromancy Black
26-08-2009, 07:44
Basically the rules are that wizards can cast spells. Then there are a bunch of rules saying they can't for certain reasons.

No rule is given about whether or not they can cast spells in close combat so by default they can (as they already have a rule saying they can).

All other criteria of the spells still have to apply. So Magic Missiles can't be cast spells that don't say they can be cast into close combat still can't be cast at the unit your fighting, etc.

A little off the side but interesting to note that Wizards that under the effects of stupidity can not cast spells, but once your in combat the effects of stupidity stop. So if that stupidity move takes you into CC you can cast spells in the following magic phase.

Also as far as I can tell, failing said stupidity test only stops you casting spells, not generating power or dispel dice. It also doesn't stop movement from spells (as long as you don't run into another one of your own units).
Wolf Hunts or Unseen Lurker to charge a stupid wizard's unit into combat so he can then cast spells anyone?

Harwammer
26-08-2009, 08:07
Wizards can cast spells during their magic phase except in the situations given on page 78 (Stupidity, paragraph 3), page 79 (Mounts' Psychology, Stupidity), p107 (Casting Spells, paragraph 4, 6), page 109 (Miscast table) result 7 and page 110 (Magic Missiles, paragraph 3).

This means they are able to cast a spell while fighting as long as the spell isn't a magic missile and the spell isn't targeted at a unit in combat (unless the spell allows otherwise) or is targeted at the wizard himself.

I think this covers it. If I've missed anything please correct me.

Some spells will have exceptions to these situations.

Urgat
26-08-2009, 11:14
He cannot cast magic missiles if he's in HtH. Also, spells cannot normally target units that are in HtH, so unless the spell he wants to cast grants an exception he can't target the unit he's fighting. Finally, LOS can be a big problem for those spells that require it. However, there's no general rule that prevents a wizard from casting spells while in close combat, and indeed there are spells designed for precisely that purpose (Flaming sword of Rhuin, most notably).

They're usually hindered by line of sight. If, say, they're on a wyvern... well, not say, for shamans, there's no other way, so for your shaman on wyvern, who becomes large target, he can see above the enemy unit he is fitghing (unless it's another large target of course) and can cast non missile spells (never quite got why magic missiles had this exception, too) at other units in LoS.

Braad
26-08-2009, 16:48
Fists of Gork is ofcourse an excellent spell for these situations. And maybe even better when combined with the WAAAGH paint.

It's just a bit tricky, as you really need to get it of in one go, due to being in a dangerous situation.

Bac5665
26-08-2009, 17:35
I lost all sports points in one round for playing this one correctly. My opponent said my skink priest on EoTG couldn't cast while in combat. I said her could, judge ruled in my favor, and my opponent gave me the worst sport rating he could as a result. (and ex post facto told a judge I was cheating for a different rule that he also got wrong.) Sadly that was only the second worst sport I've played against!! First is a DoC player...

Tuch
27-08-2009, 00:49
Along these same lines, as I was asked the other day and couldn't really answer one way or the other. Is a spell that says it has "No Targeting Restrictions" allowed to be cast into combat?

I always took this statement to simply mean that characters could be picked out of a unit but when asked if targeting units in combat wasn't a restriction what was it, I was like umm der uh....

Nurgling Chieftain
27-08-2009, 03:35
Is a spell that says it has "No Targeting Restrictions" allowed to be cast into combat?Yes, that's fine. IIRC they even FAQ'd it for good measure.

Harwammer
27-08-2009, 06:25
Yes, that's fine. IIRC they even FAQ'd it for good measure.

if its a target restriction, not a casting restriction does that mean we can hit enemy units in combat with non target spells, such as AoE, even if the spell doesn't specifically allow it?

Nurgling Chieftain
27-08-2009, 06:32
The actual term is "at" rather than specifically targeting (a la MR) and people have debated at length whether that's synonymous with targeting. In practice, there's only a handful of spells for which it's even relevant, but for those spells (most notably Burning Head) it's a huge distinction which I really wish would get FAQ'd.