PDA

View Full Version : How is Wargods of AEgyptus?

Visitor
11-01-2006, 22:46
Has anyone out there played this game?

What did you think of it?

VanHel
13-01-2006, 08:18
I like the game. It plays decently and the minis are cool. Really my only complaint is Crocodile Games' slow response to update their site and the sporadic releases.

Heru Talon
11-02-2006, 05:38
I like the game. It plays decently and the minis are cool. Really my only complaint is Crocodile Games' slow response to update their site and the sporadic releases.

The difference is that the Crocodile Games people are always in their forum so you can actually get to know the developers without getting that pompus air you get from say GW designers that rarely ever speak to the peope or accept other people's ideas...

and seeing as how Crocodile Games has Wargods Of Olympus planned for late this year, early next I'm expecting big things.

Plus their stuff is CHEAP!!

boomgoose
11-02-2006, 20:21
I've seen the figures at my LGS and am impressed w/ them. Is the game a skirmish level-type game, with the figures spread out in loose bands? Or is it more along the line of WHFB, with the figures ranked up. How many figures do you need just to start off with?

jazzdude78
12-02-2006, 00:28
Its sort of a cross between skirmish and Ranked units most units are ranked up and there is an emphasis on the main hero (single combat with the opposing harbinger is a very special and desired affair)
For a starter game a harbinger 2 units of 10ish troops and an additional hero makes for a fun intro game this should run roughly $60 bucks without intertron discounts (25 for each 10 man regiment 7 for harbinger 4ish for a hero)

I highly reccommend getting the rulebook as it has to be one of the nicest rulebooks Ive ever seen
Personally I like to think of Croc games as the "blizzard" of mini gaming their stuff is slow in coming but of very high quality
hopefully the wendigo release will arrive close to their rules in harbinger (the magazine)

Heru Talon
12-02-2006, 04:50
Also not to mention that everything rulewise you need to play is in the rulebook (no codexes or army books required).

Kenshinzo 7
12-02-2006, 21:22
WarGods is a fine game and I think very underrated, I've been into it from the start and if they're future plans manifest it will only get better.

Taron
13-02-2006, 22:22
I've just ordered the rulebook and really look forward to finally holding it in my hands. I have been interested in War Gods for quite a while but shied away from the costs until now.
But as I have to buy new rulesets regularly, it only was a matter of time until War Gods passed into my possession. And if I like the rules (I'm quite sure I will), I'll probabaly buy two small warbands to try and get people into the game. If it only wasn't so hard to decide for one faction...

jazzdude78
14-02-2006, 08:27
Unless youre a diehard To-Tanem fan (I am) I would defintely suggest going for a starter pack gives you a bunch of heroes to toy around with and add in another regiment/squad/whatever the official name is
Though the typhon might not get theirs this year (maybe its always a tough call with croc, heres hoping for Gencon)

Taron
16-02-2006, 18:29
Just had a quick read through the rules and so far, they look very promising. Now I just have to find a victim to play a game with some proxies.

Persephone
17-02-2006, 20:02
Can't wait for Olympus. It's been delayed soooo long.

boomgoose
20-02-2006, 03:03
Well, I now have a better perspective of the game. I just chatted w/ an employee at the Strategicon convention in L.A. and got some more insights into the game. The mechanics are very similiar to WHFB, but everything you need unit-wise is contained in the one rulebook. The miniatures a great looking and there is a large and growing variety of Egyptian-themed armies. What really caught me eye were the examples of the new figs for "Olympus." The Greek-type warriors look cool and they had about 6 new Titans painted up. Very neat stuff. Sadly, Olympus won't be coming out 'til later in the year. I'm a little more into the Greek mythology and will probably hold out unitl then. Apparently, my books are in the works for Norse and Celtic mythology as well.

Heru Talon
22-02-2006, 00:41
Apparently, my books are in the works for Norse and Celtic mythology as well.

The listing (in order) is Olympus - Hyperborea* - Midgard (Norse) - Atlantis

If there was to be one following that list it'd be Babylon but that one isn't on their planned list (so no Celtic one).

*Can be confused with a Celtic one, though remember the Celts didn't have Yhetee's, and the name Hyperborea is from Greek Myth not Celtic.

Possiblities of a AEgyptus (their name for Egypt) supplment remain though (for after Olympus/Hyperborea).

jazzdude78
22-02-2006, 08:21
But remember hyperborea in theory will have a conan like barbarian(s) so it could be celtic at least partially

side note in theory wendigo(the yetis) will be arriving soon with the latest harbinger mag