PDA

View Full Version : salamander skin

herald of kairos
27-08-2009, 19:21
does any one know at which point in his training a salamander changes skin colour.
im doing a salamander list for the irish gt and want to know do their scouts have coal black skin as well or does this only come with full marine status.
any comments appreciated.

Tonberry
27-08-2009, 19:56
Salamanders recruit from the inhabitants of Nocturne, so their skin is black before they start training.

Dhazzakull
27-08-2009, 19:58
its a reaction of their altered genes to the sun of nocturne, but i don't know which organ is responsible.
But in one of the latest white dwarf there were a salamanders land speeder storm and the scouts had black skin.

BlackLegion
27-08-2009, 20:02
In a WD there is a Land Speeder Storm painted as belonging to the Salamanders. All the Scouts riding in it have black skin and red eyes.

Israfael
27-08-2009, 20:04
Their skin is always black - regardless of which fluff you put stock in.

They were of Caribbean "human stock" in the early fluff, so they were already essentially black men / woman racially - and the volcanic setting made their eyes turn red.

The newer fluff I have seen describes the planet as having said effect on the people.

In both, they're black long before becoming scouts.

AndrewGPaul
27-08-2009, 20:14
The red eyes thing is new. Originally, it was just that they could see further into the infra-red than most people.

Hurin
27-08-2009, 20:22
The newer fluff I have seen describes the planet as having said effect on the people.

Where does it say the Nocturne inhabitants are that colour in the newer fluff im an avid salamanders fan and dont remember reading that.

What i read and understand is that it is the implants as they go to marine and the effect from the planet that makes their skin jet black.

and i am unsure as to what the scouts should be painted but seen as there are pics of them as jet black i guess it is safe to assume they would be jet black by then.

and thats how i would paint them :)

FarseerMatt
27-08-2009, 21:18
One of the SM implants (forget the name) affects the initiate's skin, allowing them to rapidly change their skin pigmentation to protect against radiation. So if, for the sake of argument, the Salamanders recruited a white initiate, he would probably change colour upon receiving this implant.

Similarly, the red eyes might be due to a genetic quirk in the implant that lets marines see in the dark.

Israfael
27-08-2009, 22:52
Where does it say the Nocturne inhabitants are that colour in the newer fluff im an avid salamanders fan and dont remember reading that.

It doesn't say anything about their implants causing the effect, their "genetics" and the harsh radiation combined have the effect.

"Also, as a result of a reaction between their genetics and the high levels of radiation on Nocturne, Salamanders battle brothers have dark or jet black skin and bright, burning eyes. This appearance is entirely superficial, but has intimidated more than one rebellion into submission without firing a shot."

Lexicanum quoted cannon in regards to their updated lore. The home population is still apparently "black" in regards to race.

Askil the Undecided
28-08-2009, 10:46
It's a mutation of the Melanchrome, it's the organ that allows Astartes to adjust their skin tone to optimise their resistance to ambient solar radiation.

In response to the extreme radiation of Nocturne the Sallies Melanchromes went hyperactive and non-responsive. The eyes however are anyone's guess... and also totally retarded.