PDA

View Full Version : Empire 2250 Warrior Priest-themed

Once Bitten
28-08-2009, 15:16
Hey all,

I'm putting together an Empire army and am thinking about basing it around warrior priests. My goal - for all my armies - is to create a list that is very balanced and doesn't come across as beardy, but that is also very competitive. I've had good luck with HE and Brets, so now I'd like to do the same with Empire.

I like the idea of warrior priests because they provide a magic phase and magic defense, but work in concert with combat (rather than trying to win the game by blasting the other guy off the board). I love that they automatically give hatred to their unit, and that their magic phase is very consistent (can't miscast a prayer).

Anyway, here goes my initial list:

Arch Lector @ 232 pts
Enchanted shield, Shroud of Magnus, Van Horstman's speculum
with
14 Greatswords at 261
FC, GW, Full Plate
with
7 Free Company detachment @ 35
7 Handgunners detachment @ 56

[Arch Lector protects expensive unit with MR2 and by accepting challenges from tough opponents (by using VH), provides hatred to Greatswords, and casts 2 prayers each turn. I wanted as many Free Company as possible, but am limited to only 7 - and I don't want to spend too many points on buffing up Greatswords' ranks. So, I'm taking 7 handgunners instead of 5 to increase the odds that I'll have enough around in one of the detachments to negate ranks.]

Battle Wizard @ 160
Lvl 2, 2 dispel scrolls, warhorse
[I think I need some kind of casting ability in order to make my opponents make choices on how to use their dispel dice.]

Captain of the Empire @ 120
BSB, Biting Blade, Armor of Meteoric Iron, Sigil of Sigmar
with
24 Swordsmen @ 254
FC
with
9 Free Company @ 45
5 Handgunners @ 40
[My BSB's job is to stay alive and provide re-rolls to his unit and to nearby greatswords. I hope to have prayers go off to help hit and wound in combat, so gave him the cheap -1 to AS sword. He also protects unit w/ MR1.]

1 Steam Tank @ 300
uh, it's a steam tank

10 Hangunners @ 105
Marksman w/ Hochland

10 Hangunners @ 105
Marksman w/ Hochland

[B]1 Warrior Priest @ 110
barded warhorse
with
5 Knightly Ordres @ 155
FC
[About the only real hammer in my list. Hatred on knights seems nice, plus there's always the prayers to buff them up.]

5 Pistoliers @ 97
Musician
[redirect, hunt war machines, etc.]

15 Flagellants @ 150
[anvil unit]

2 great cannons
[Kill the big nasties or weaken enemy blocks]

My biggest concerns right now are the lack of mobility in this army. I've got a bunch of anvils with few hammers. Thoughts?

mr_vespa
28-08-2009, 16:47
Hey all,
Arch Lector @ 232 pts
Enchanted shield, Shroud of Magnus, Van Horstman's speculum
with
14 Greatswords at 261
FC, GW, Full Plate
with
7 Free Company detachment @ 35
7 Handgunners detachment @ 56
Good lineup with the detachments, though you might want to consider archers for the occasional moving and shooting and skirmishing capabilities. However, you could tweak you Lector (and without mounting him on a War Altar, which would be amazing). Mount him on a Barded Steed to buff his armour save and consider the Sword of Sigismund. That way, he swaps stats AND strikes first. Pretty nasty, no?

Battle Wizard @ 160
Lvl 2, 2 dispel scrolls, warhorse
Good, solid build. Bunker this guy in a unit somewhere.

Captain of the Empire @ 120
BSB, Biting Blade, Armor of Meteoric Iron, Sigil of Sigmar
with
24 Swordsmen @ 254
FC
with
9 Free Company @ 45
5 Handgunners @ 40
The BSB is well-thought of, but again, can be tweaked for more effectiveness. Drop Meteoric Iron and mount him on a Barded Steed, this with full plate (no shield because he's a BSB) will grant him a 2+ save on budget and an extra horse attack. Then consider using the Griffon Banner and beefing up your swordsmen unit to a size 31 (adding the BSB and a mounted Warrior-Priest, this would come to a grand total of US35, rank them 7*5). This way, you have an immensely powerful anvil unit (provided you can get the Unbreakable prayer going. Detachments are looking good.

1 Steam Tank @ 300
uh, it's a steam tank

10 Hangunners @ 105
Marksman w/ Hochland

10 Hangunners @ 105
Marksman w/ Hochland

[B]1 Warrior Priest @ 110
barded warhorse
with
5 Knightly Ordres @ 155
FC
Put the Warrior-Priest with foot soldiers. His prayers are better served there. Hatred on Knights is awesome mind you. Since he's not very fighty, use your Lector here instead (he'll get into combat faster, which is what you want). Also, consider giving the Priest a great weapon or a shield, and the Silver Horn or the Orb of Thunder(godly items for any Empire list).

5 Pistoliers @ 97
Musician
[redirect, hunt war machines, etc.]

15 Flagellants @ 150
[anvil unit]

2 great cannons
[Kill the big nasties or weaken enemy blocks]

Anything I didn't mark with a comment looked mighty fine! You're on the right track my friend, I hope my two cents can help:
- Have you considered a Captain mounted on Pegasus with Aldred's Casket of Sorcery? Very annoying little bugger, he's sure to rain on any magic army's parade.
- Drop the Greatswords. Great models, yes. Combat-wise, not so much. Stubborn 8 will only go so far (even with a BSB), and their general lack of survivability seriously hampers their effectiveness (because they wield GW). Their inability of magic banners Against anything ASF or with a movement advantage, they'll just die. You're better off with Warrior-Priests bunkered in big units of State Troops casting Unbreakable.
- Consider scraping points for a secondary unit of Pistoliers. 2 march blockers are better than one, also since they are an excellent, albeit short range, fast cavalry unit. Adding Outrider champions with Repeater Pistols in the units adds to their effectiveness.
- If not pistoliers, try another unit of Knights, or upgrade your existing unit to Inner Circle Knights. If accompanied by the Lector, add either Banner of the Daemonslayer, Steel Standard or a simple War Banner. Mix and match to see what you like best!
- Remember that your Flagellants count as core when you bring out a Lector/Warrior-Priest. This gives you a lot of troop flexibility.

Von Wibble
28-08-2009, 19:35
Only 1 unit of Flagellants counts as core.

Generally I agree with the points made already.