PDA

View Full Version : Blocking Units from Re-Entering the Table

HellRaid
28-08-2009, 18:16
Today I was playing with my Vampire Counts versus a Bretonnian player, and he slaughtered one of my Zombie units and overran off the table.

In my turn, I came up with a rather devious scheme which I proposed to both the opposing player and a GW staff member.

The scheme was this:
Since units that pursue off the table are required to re-enter the table at the exact spot that they had left, what would happen if they couldn't re-enter at this exact spot? More precisely, what if I summoned a line of zombies at that exact spot which completely blocked the unit's access to the table.

In the spirit of good gaming, it was suggested that they'd come back on the table at the nearest available point that wasn't blocked by zombies. I agreed since it was a friendly game (and then didn't try it, since there was no point), but the GW staffer added that he's pretty sure that the unit would be properly blocked in a tournament (RAW) environment and be unable to re-enter.

So what's the consensus here? Would the unit be unable to re-enter in a RAW environment? And if it is, what would happen in the (completely theoretical) instance that I managed to block the entire table edge off with a big line of zombies? :p

Ultimate Life Form
28-08-2009, 18:19
Awesome idea! This might become a staple tactic for my Vampires...:skull:

*rubs hands*

theunwantedbeing
28-08-2009, 18:21
Worth reading page 43, Persuit off the table

Does anyone actually read the rules when they have a rules question?

HellRaid
28-08-2009, 18:36
Aaaaw, that makes me sad :(

I don't have a rulebook to hand right now (or at all, it probably got stolen); could you perhaps quote to me the line that affects this?

Cheers :)

stripsteak
28-08-2009, 18:38
they don't come on exactly where they left off. they come on as close as possible (which in most cases would be exactly the same)

HellRaid
28-08-2009, 19:05
Curses! I guess that means that if I were to block off the whole table edge with zombies, they'd just come on another edge. That's so unfair! :p

Ah well, a vampire can dream...

pointyteeth
28-08-2009, 19:55
Still a very useful tactic. Wellplaced zombies could force him to come onto the table very far away then reform well away from them, taking them out of the fight likely for the rest of the battle.

*edit* or force him to come back on where he will be setting himself up to be charged.

Drachen_Jager
28-08-2009, 22:15
But he gets a move when he comes on, so it would likely take so much work to set-up a good opportunity for a charge that you'd be neglecting the rest of the battle and be utterly crushed because of your effort to destroy that one unit.

Other than that it's a pretty good plan Pointyteeth...

10 out of 10 for style, minus several thousand for practicality.

pointyteeth
28-08-2009, 22:28
thats true. I don't play vamps, I just find it an interesting tactic. I'm sure with some practice someone could make this work.

Witchblade
28-08-2009, 23:23
Summon them so that your zombies are exactly 1' away from his unit's bases when he enters the table and form a long line along the table edge. He'll have to turn, move 4' and turn again (if he doesn't turn again he gets flank charged). Next turn, charge him or keep blocking him and let him charge you. Either way, the unit will be doing nothing important for a fair few turns.

eyescrossed
29-08-2009, 05:22
Summon them so that your zombies are exactly 1' away from his unit's bases when he enters the table and form a long line along the table edge. He'll have to turn, move 4' and turn again (if he doesn't turn again he gets flank charged). Next turn, charge him or keep blocking him and let him charge you. Either way, the unit will be doing nothing important for a fair few turns.

Don't you mean 1" and 4"? It wouldn't do anything if you positioned Zombies 1 foot away from them, and I don't know of any unit that can move 4 feet.

Lord Dan
29-08-2009, 05:28
You'd be better off summoning a unit several inches away from the table edge. Keep them close enough that manouvering away would be difficult, but far enough that he would come back on the same table edge. Since he can't march or charge, you're in position to charge the following turn.

Witchblade
29-08-2009, 20:53
Don't you mean 1" and 4"? It wouldn't do anything if you positioned Zombies 1 foot away from them, and I don't know of any unit that can move 4 feet.
Yeah, sorry, I meant inches. I'm used to the metric system in Holland. What I tried to say was:

You'd be better off summoning a unit several inches away from the table edge. Keep them close enough that manouvering away would be difficult, but far enough that he would come back on the same table edge. Since he can't march or charge, you're in position to charge the following turn.

T10
30-08-2009, 17:00
Does anyone actually read the rules when they have a rules question?

Why bother answering if it hurts so much?