PDA

View Full Version : Wizards and Shamans in battle, and casting!

Deglosh
28-08-2009, 23:06
Ok, can come1 explain this to me.
If i have a shaman in a unit that is in combat, can he still cast spells? and if so, is the target restricted to the unit he is currently fighting? and are there spells he CANT use while in combat?

I really need to know this, and i cant find a good explanation in the rulebook.Maybe its the fact that english aint my motherlanguage thats the problem, heheh. But im going for a magic heavy 2k list so help is apreaciated from you veterans out tehre =)

peace...or, Waaagh!

Nurgling Chieftain
28-08-2009, 23:26
The only spells that are inherently impossible to cast while fighting in HtH are magic missiles.

However...

By default spells cannot be cast at units in HtH. So, unless the spell says otherwise, you can't cast it onto the unit you're fighting - which is often who you want to blast!

Also, models in HtH frequently have severely limited LOS. Now, spells (other than magic missiles) do not inherently require LOS, but many spells require LOS anyway.

Witchblade
28-08-2009, 23:29
I'm pretty sure there's an active thread on this subject at this very moment.

You can cast spells while in combat yourself.

Only spells that specifically mention you can, can be cast into an ongoing combat.

Magic missiles cannot be cast into a combat or while in combat yourself.

Line of sight is often limited while in combat. It's 90 from your base onwards.

edit: ninja'd.

Necromancy Black
28-08-2009, 23:39
Casting spells while in combat isn't directly addressed in the rulebook, so I'll explain why everyone says you can.

By default you have a rule say wizards can cast spells. This is your base rule and can be overridden.
For example, a fleeing wizard can not cast spells. This overrides the rule that wizards can cast spells in the magic phase.

Lets look at Frenzy. There is no rule saying frenzied wizards can cast spells, and there is no rule saying frenzied can not cast spells. Neither of these rules override the default rule, so therefore they may still cast spells.

The same thing applies with a wizard in close combat. There is no rule saying they can, or can not, cast spells in combat, so by default they can cast spells.

Magic Missiles have a rule that does say they can not be cast from close combat, and this obviosuly overrides the default behaviour.

Condottiere
29-08-2009, 03:14
As someone just pointed out somewhere, Lightning and Thunderbolt aren't Magic Missiles and only need LoS.

Deglosh
29-08-2009, 09:11
aha, i see. Thanx