PDA

View Full Version : Vampire counts question

darklord2005
12-01-2006, 03:49
whats is the difference with giving your skeleton regiment hand-weapons or spears for 1point extra????? i dont have the rulebook yet so im not sure.

thanx in advance

Seth the Dark
12-01-2006, 05:25
Get the rule book and you'll find out. We can't give out rules.

shadowprince
12-01-2006, 06:00
going to any way, sue me. the other rank attacks when useing spears, not a great option as skeletons are crap in combat go hand weopon shield.

Nell2ThaIzzay
12-01-2006, 07:54
whats is the difference with giving your skeleton regiment hand-weapons or spears for 1point extra????? i dont have the rulebook yet so im not sure.

thanx in advance

Hand weapon & shield allows the front rank to attack, and gives a 5+ armor save.

Spears allow the first and second ranks to attack (unless charging), but you won't get the hand weapon & shield armor bonus.

T10
12-01-2006, 08:34
The difference is one of efficiency.

-T10

speedygogo
13-01-2006, 07:59
Skeletons are really a unit used to protect a vampire from shooting and give a rank bonus and standard in HtH. I would not waste points on upgrading them because against most troops the will lose combat if they are on their own.

Festus
13-01-2006, 08:18
Hi

I think Light Armour is well worth it: A 4+ save in h-t-h for Skellies? Yes please!

Greetings
Festus

megastar242
14-01-2006, 22:30
For having a hw and shield, you get an additional +1 save in close combat ONLY. If you are going to get spears buy the minimal 10 skellies, get light armour, (giving you a 5+ sv) and raise more to that unit. They will be raised, exactly equipped as the rest of the unit. Join the unit with some sort of char. With VC, you want combat resolution (CR) which you get from wounds, RANKS, and flanks. IF you are using spears, you will get a minimum of 4 more attacks, thus maybe getting 4 more wounds.

Really buying more than 10 is a waste of points. If you know your opponent is very low magic, it could pay off in huge dividends though.

Festus
15-01-2006, 08:10
Hi

For having a hw and shield, you get an additional +1 save in close combat ONLY. If you are going to get spears buy the minimal 10 skellies, get light armour, (giving you a 5+ sv) and raise more to that unit. They will be raised, exactly equipped as the rest of the unit. Join the unit with some sort of char. With VC, you want combat resolution (CR) which you get from wounds, RANKS, and flanks. IF you are using spears, you will get a minimum of 4 more attacks, thus maybe getting 4 more wounds.
Have you done the Maths?

5 more attacks from skellies will do nothing: 2,5 hits, vs T3 1.25 Wounds and of those, usually most of those will be saved - if the enemy has got a decent AS (even with Gobbo's 4+ it will be much less than a single Wound to CR).

Let's not even talk about T4 oponents or Knights in 1+/2+ Armour.

If your oponent OTOH attacks your Skellies, every save you can make is a direct contribution to Combat Resolution. Even if the enemy attacks with S3 and GW (S5) or is a Chaos Knight, you will still be able to save - every sixth Skelly *lives*.
If he attacks with S4, every 3rd will *survive* and at S3, fully half will still stay.

If you use your spears, you won't have a save even against S4 anymore and against S3 your save will be as bad as LA/Shield against S5!

Festus

TAU AIR CASTE
15-01-2006, 08:27
hand weapon and shield all the way! very rarely use the spears!