PDA

View Full Version : Eltharion the swordmaster - legal for friendly games?

WhiteKnight
29-08-2009, 06:28
Okay, say like I wanted to play a guy and wanted to run Eltharion the swordmaster. Its all friendly and not like a big deal, would you say it'd be okay if I used him?

Scallat
29-08-2009, 09:06
In situations like this I write two lists and then ask my opponent before the game.

I should also point out that as Eltharion the Swordmaster predates the current rules he doesn't have ASF so it's not even like he's that good (if he gets charged he'll likely die before he can fight). His ability to make sword masters stubborn is good but more easily achived with Korhil.

isidril93
29-08-2009, 11:41
you can:
either field him as eltharion but on foot, you dont have to take the griffon
or use a prince with white sword, armour of protection and talisman of loec

The Clairvoyant
29-08-2009, 12:47
its a friendly game. Why wouldn't they be ok with it?

Gazak Blacktoof
29-08-2009, 13:11
its a friendly game. Why wouldn't they be ok with it?

Maybe they don't consider it very friendly.

Ask your opponent.

If you don't know who you'll be playing before hand, do as Scallat sugested and take two lists.

Condottiere
29-08-2009, 17:06
Is it possible to turn a Prince into something resembling Eltharion, Have Sword, Will Travel?

29-08-2009, 17:28
I always use him as a prince :D

friendly games you need to ask. (and if ts a frienly game ask if he can have ASF :D)

silashand
29-08-2009, 20:57
I wouldn't have a problem with it if someone wished to try him out in a friendly, though I would expect my opponent to ask me before we started the game if it's okay. Mainly this is just courtesy in case I've never seen his rules before and it gives me a chance to see what he can do. That's all I ask. Same with any old character such as Crom the Conqueror, Garagrim Ironfist, etc.

sroblin
30-08-2009, 19:09
Yeah, the protocol when using such characters is simply to ask the opponent's permission before using them (and let them see the rules.) They haven't been balanced, designed, or teste with the new addition in mind, so many are underpowered and a few are overpowered, so the opponent should have a hance to approve or not. In the off chance the opponent refuses, just field the model as some similarly equipped prince or noble.

In this particular case, I would also request if you could play him with the ASF rule, because the rule clearly affects the entire HE army, and surely the most skilled swordsman in all of Ulthuan is not going to be an exception. You could volunteer to pay an extra-25-35 points if necessary.

silashand
30-08-2009, 19:18
In this particular case, I would also request if you could play him with the ASF rule, because the rule clearly affects the entire HE army, and surely the most skilled swordsman in all of Ulthuan is not going to be an exception. You could volunteer to pay an extra-25-35 points if necessary.

Agreed. That would seem the most appropriate.