PDA

View Full Version : Can a Full on World Eaters Khrone Army be Good?

Hattori Hanzo
29-08-2009, 08:31
I was just wondering if there was a way to make a fully dedicated khrone amry competitive?

onnotangu
29-08-2009, 08:33
No but A Khorne army could do some serious damage.

player21
29-08-2009, 09:58
I think it can. Every army can be competitive.

Clausewitz
29-08-2009, 10:04
Second what onnotangu said. An actual World Eaters army would be extremely restricted, given that it's basically only Berzerkers, but a Khorne army more generally could be very effective. Normal marines with MoK, a couple of flamers and a Rhino come in at considerably cheaper than Berzerkers, and only less effective against dedicated assault troops (which you'd use the Berzerkers against anyhow).

nothingatall544
29-08-2009, 10:23
Sure it can be, you've got to remember that the "power lists" are not played all that often, while list that contain parts of these lists are far more prevalent.

As an example, I know someone who plays Orks, he has nib bikers, but it is not the end all be all nob biker list.

Depending on your interpretation on what is acceptable in a World Eaters army (IE..marines with IoK, or a Warptime prince that "Prays to Khorne" at the beginning of every turn...) I think you could have a really good competitive list.

Cpt_Baughan
29-08-2009, 10:27
Indeed its more about theming an army rather than just fully having berzerkers.

Add some World Eaters Defilers, bikes with melta gun or daemonicly possessed vechiles.

A greater Daemon always give your force some punch.

MIGHTYPanhead
29-08-2009, 13:16
I ran a 1500 point army with three 8 man 'zerker squads (leaders with power weapon/melta bombs) in rhinos (each with two bolters), two dreads (with dual CCWs), and kharn.

It wasn't exactly competitive, but it wasn't a push over list either! It was also tons of fun to play!

Essentially, every game ended with only a couple models on either side left, or one army entirely wiped out

Neilza
29-08-2009, 13:20
yeah my m8 uses a full khorne army with rhinos and kharn and its always a close game when he uses them

EVIL INC
29-08-2009, 13:49
Dont forget to use the world eater assault troops (use raptors with icon to represent them), havoks, bikes, vets and so forth (again, use icons) and you should have no problems being competative as well as very fluffy.

Dexter099
29-08-2009, 15:19
It's ok. The beauty of the recent Chaos codex is that any mono-god army works.

TheOneWithNoName
29-08-2009, 16:46
Dont forget to use the world eater assault troops (use raptors with icon to represent them), havoks, bikes, vets and so forth (again, use icons) and you should have no problems being competative as well as very fluffy.

If you want to use a competitive list, you will forget about most of those units. The competitive WE/Khorne list is Berserkers in rhinos or Landraiders, Oblits, etc, etc.

It's ok. The beauty of the recent Chaos codex is that any mono-god army works.

Well, Tzeentch lists still suck a big one (especially if you're taking Tzeentch HAVOCS). :p

BladeWalker
29-08-2009, 17:01
LandRaider(s) for delivery of your units is a must. Their TL-LasCannons can help with vehicles that are fast enough to stay away from you. CSM with MoK and Meltas can also help with vehicles while staying in the theme. Khorne can handle most infantry if you can catch them or get them out of their transports

BrotherMoses
29-08-2009, 17:13
Heck yeah, AND it would be fun to play. Don't listen to any of this restricted nonsense that a Khorne army of CSM would just be berserkers. Get a lord, atleast 2 troops of some berserkers, some vindicators and maybe a close combat defiler, and don't forget to mechanize with rhinos. A landraider transport might also be fantastic for your lord. You could make a competitive list if you like, and you will have a ton of fun.

Minion
29-08-2009, 17:25
Of course its worth it!as everybody pointed though its also worth including other units with the Mark of Khorne + vehicles.The old CSM dex might inspire you on how the World Eaters where organized

Hashshashin
29-08-2009, 17:31
I run a WorldEaters list and if it gets across the board it is likely to win.

I run Kharn and a Khorne DP for Hq (Sometime I run FW Zhufor model as Abbaddon)
LR with Termies
3-4 Sqauds Berserks in Rhino with Havoc launchers
Defiler, Vindicator, Havoks/Oblits for heavies

It does very well often and I've taken first in some smaller tourneys, and its way fun to play because you just have to Banzai charge across the board basically

Now my DW army is not very competitive, restrictive, but also super fun to play.

Vepr
29-08-2009, 18:12
If I get into Chaos this is what I am going to do. I have always loved the berserkers and associated look and imagery of Khorne armies in general. Now I just need to finish up a few Nids (before the upcoming dex) Finish about 2000 points of marines that are collecting dust on some shelves and I will be good to go... in other words the next Chaos dex will probably be out before I even get started. :p

Grimtuff
29-08-2009, 19:55
No but A Khorne army could do some serious damage.

Such is the beauty of the Internets that nobody has got this yet. :p

DuskRaider
29-08-2009, 20:05
Listen... I love the 3.5 fluff and all, but even I'll admit the crap about World Eaters having just Berserkers is that... Crap. That a look at a Pre-Heresy World Eaters formation, very little has changed, except they don't really have the leash that the Emperor was holding (even then I don't think they did). Terminators, Chosen, Tactical Squads, Havocs, Assault Marines (Raptors), CCW Dreadnoughts and Defilers. And really? You don't need Obliterators. They're alright, but they're so overused it's sickening.

Lord Damocles
29-08-2009, 20:43
Hell, you could even throw in a unit of Plague Marines as counts-as Androids.

Corpse
30-08-2009, 01:21
World eaters are one of the few basic CSM troops I would throw in a land raider. And have that land raider followed by more zerks inside rhinos or on foot+running.

Seeing that spear lists are getting more popular, I would bet my bottom penny that zerks make good use of that style. You should check it out.

Spear lists include good melee with a raider or two as centerpiece with maybe some termies involved but having 2x the zerkers inside a raider is almost as good if not just as good.

TheSanityAssassin
30-08-2009, 04:05
One of my friends runs a pure World Eater list, and has won several tourneys with it. 4 'Zerk Squads in Rhinos, plus a Land Raider, Khorne Termies, Daemon Prince and I think a Vindicator. It certainly suffers against a few builds, but generally does quite well.

He finished 3rd in our 'Ard Boyz prelims out of 30, though admittedly he broke tradition a bit and took 2 Lash Princes, but other than that it was 50 Berzerkers in Rhinos, a Land Raider with 5 termies, and 3 Vinidcators.

AmasNagol
30-08-2009, 04:09
lol@taking 2 Lash Princes in a World Eater list. Despicable!

A Berzerker army can be horrific against certain lists, and decidedly average against others. It's great fun though!

EVIL INC
30-08-2009, 04:39
One of my friends runs a pure World Eater list, and has won several tourneys with it. 4 'Zerk Squads in Rhinos, plus a Land Raider, Khorne Termies, Daemon Prince and I think a Vindicator. It certainly suffers against a few builds, but generally does quite well.

He finished 3rd in our 'Ard Boyz prelims out of 30, though admittedly he broke tradition a bit and took 2 Lash Princes, but other than that it was 50 Berzerkers in Rhinos, a Land Raider with 5 termies, and 3 Vinidcators.
Pssstt... That isnt a pure world eaters list. Psychers are the one unit that they cant take no matter WHAT version of the fluff you prefer.

Lord Damocles
30-08-2009, 11:38
*Epic Facepalm*

So basicly it was less of a World Eaters list, and more of a generic Lash Prince + Oblits/Vindicators list with the Plague Marines swapped out for Zerkers.

Not that people would try to hide blatant powergaming behind the thin veil of fluff... oh no... :rolleyes::p

Zeroth
30-08-2009, 11:50
He only did it for 'Ard Boyz, cut him some slack :p

LordAzaroth
30-08-2009, 17:22
A Khornate World Eater Army is a viable option. World Eaters aren't all bloodthirsty killers trying to get to you as close as possible. Some are more trigger happy. Defilers and Vindicators are both very good World Eateresque tanks. I say, if people think World Eaters are only 'Zerkers and a Lord with Mark of Khorne, they've gone into the deep end of stereotypical. I would love to see a more thoughtful take on the followers of Khorne, instead of 'Zerker, Rhinos, Land Raiders, and Lord

AmasNagol
31-08-2009, 01:07
I think you can build a decent army which would stand up against most players basing it around 2/3 units of Berzerkers in transport with support units. Taking unmarked or MoK units in Rhinos with special weapons and Vindicators helps kind of fill in the mid range firepower void.

It's just very difficult to come up with a plan B if CHAAAAAARGE doesn't work. lol

grissom2006
31-08-2009, 02:24
They can be a lethal list if you know what your doing and commit yourself to aggressive tactics, used to play a person and he'd win most of his matches with them.

D-9
31-08-2009, 03:54
My main army is a World Eater force, and I've built it around a lot of what everyone is saying.

At 1750 points:
HQ: Kharn
TROOPS: 3 squads of 8 Zerks in rhinos w/ champion w/ p-fist and icons, 2 of the rhinos have havoc launchers for horde mitigation. 1 squad of 8 lesser daemons.

ELITES: 5 terminators in a land raider w/ Mark of Khorne, 2 power fists, a champ w/ lightening claws, and a heavy flamer. A dreadnought w/ 2 CC weapons.

HEAVY: Defiler w/ extra CC wep.

I think this holds true to the fluff around the world eaters, while still remaining very competitive. (tied for first at the last local tourney I went to)

My collection for the army holds a ton of other units: A Winged daemon prince, a squad of raptors, more lesser daemons, regular marines w/ icon of khorne, possessed, and a chosen squad w/ flamers are some that see rotation occasionally.

AmasNagol
31-08-2009, 04:02
Always always always take 1 chain fist in a Terminator squad geared for assault. That's the equivalent of 4 Melta Bombs on the charge.

Arbiter7
31-08-2009, 06:14
I don't think that a World Eaters army can ever be good.

They are deeply evil.

Ok mods feel free to erase this now :P

Finn
31-08-2009, 08:25
My main army is a World Eater force, and I've built it around a lot of what everyone is saying.

At 1750 points:
HQ: Kharn
TROOPS: 3 squads of 8 Zerks in rhinos w/ champion w/ p-fist and icons, 2 of the rhinos have havoc launchers for horde mitigation. 1 squad of 8 lesser daemons.

ELITES: 5 terminators in a land raider w/ Mark of Khorne, 2 power fists, a champ w/ lightening claws, and a heavy flamer. A dreadnought w/ 2 CC weapons.

HEAVY: Defiler w/ extra CC wep.

I think this holds true to the fluff around the world eaters, while still remaining very competitive. (tied for first at the last local tourney I went to)

My collection for the army holds a ton of other units: A Winged daemon prince, a squad of raptors, more lesser daemons, regular marines w/ icon of khorne, possessed, and a chosen squad w/ flamers are some that see rotation occasionally.

Ditch the PFists in the terminator squad if you can and give them claws. Add a combi-melta or two if you feel you need the anti-tank (dropping the heavy flamer if you have to for one...). I mean they still have a good attacks value with that mark, but it's even better with the claws. Depends on the role you want them for I suppose. Or as a previous poster said, make one of them a chain fist instead of the combi-meltas...

I'd also drop one of the fists from a berzerker squad, possibly an icon or two as well (you only have one unit of lessers and the termies aren't DSing, and Kharn has a personal icon). Ideally, I'd drop all the fists and add melta bombs to the champion (saving you some more points), if at all. Against vehicles you'll be charging, so you'll be S5 on rear armor or 6 if you're silly enough to use kraks instead. The fist would only be more worthwhile against targets with AV12+ on the rear. I just feel the fist is "wasting" a good attacks value and the I5 from Furious Charge, but on the other hand so many attacks makes the fist that much better...

AmasNagol
31-08-2009, 08:57
If you are going anti-infantry with claws, you may as well just take Berzerkers. They do the job much more effectively.

And that's the problem with using Terminators for anything other than one shot meltagun DS. If they had specific Legion Termies, they would be much more usefull. WS5 3 attack WEater Termies. I5 power weapons with Sonic weaponry for EC, etc etc.

Finn
31-08-2009, 09:03
If you are going anti-infantry with claws, you may as well just take Berzerkers. They do the job much more effectively.

And that's the problem with using Terminators for anything other than one shot meltagun DS. If they had specific Legion Termies, they would be much more usefull. WS5 3 attack WEater Termies. I5 power weapons with Sonic weaponry for EC, etc etc.

Because there's just something about charging out of a land raider with 6 re-rollable attacks per model that says "****** you"? :p Rule of Cool, man! But yes - lack of legion specific choices outside of Troops is moderately boring/annoying.

AmasNagol
31-08-2009, 09:20
lol All champions with claws and MoK? I think I could buy 20 Berzerkers for that!

Finn
31-08-2009, 18:13
Nah, it's only about 13 zerkers - 50 points per guy plus 30 for the icon.