PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Warmaster

Geep
29-08-2009, 09:23
I've never played the game before (or even seen it played) but I was recently reading the book and it raised a few questions. I can only remember two at the moment, but I'll bump this thread as I remember/ read more.

In combat it states that you add the attack values for each Stand in the Unit, and roll these together. I didn't notice it saying only Stands touching an opponent are counted. Does this mean a column works as a good fighting formation? (It doesn't seem like this should work, I'm just trying to clarify)

When providing support, what counts as 'immediately behind' or 'immediately beside'? For example, If I had a formation three or four stands deep, lined up as one solid block (the way people usually photograph them), do all stands directly behind the stands in combat count as supporting, or is it only the second rank of stands that can count as supporting?
I'm used to Warhammer with Rank bonuses...

fracas
29-08-2009, 15:51
iirc only stands in base contact with enemy stands add their full attack values
those in base to base contact with the stand doing the actual fighting add supports. my take has always been immediately behind or beside means just that, and that the supporting stand must also be corner to corner position with the stand it is supporting.
so a column of 4 stands facing an enemy in base to base would have one stand with full attacks and one other in support.

Shrapnelsmile
12-09-2009, 16:48
iirc only stands in base contact with enemy stands add their full attack values
those in base to base contact with the stand doing the actual fighting add supports. my take has always been immediately behind or beside means just that, and that the supporting stand must also be corner to corner position with the stand it is supporting.
so a column of 4 stands facing an enemy in base to base would have one stand with full attacks and one other in support.

I'm not sure -- can you show a diagram of this please, using simply dashes or such? What columns have 4 stands instead of 3, unless one unit is badly damaged?

fracas
12-09-2009, 22:16
y
x
x
x
x
has one stand in base to base to fight and one stand supporting

yy
xx
xx
has 2 stands in base to base to fight and both stands are supported

yyy
xxx
x
has 3 stands in base to base to fight with one stand supporting

Geep
13-09-2009, 09:55
How do normal Warhammer armies do in Warmaster when scaled down?

Are there any official/ unofficial but playtested rules for units not in the usual Warmaster rules? For example, Doom Divers, Orc Arrer Boyz, Orc Boar Chariots, etc.?

azraelezekiel
14-09-2009, 18:37
Try here
http://sites.google.com/site/wmplaytest/work-in-progress-1/publications/Warmaster_Trial_Armies_2009.pdf?attredirects=0

Geep
15-09-2009, 02:21
Thanks for the link azraelezekiel.

How important is unit balance usually considered within lists? From what I can tell of the game the most important thing is character usage, but I've never actually played.
I'd like to re-create my Orc and Wood Elf armies in Warmaster scale, although both of these require units to be taken from 2-3 variant lists. Is this likely to create broken armies?

azraelezekiel
15-09-2009, 22:37
Yes, you need to use the prescribed lists at least initially until you get your head around the game.
Of course for friendly games anything goes.

Geep
18-09-2009, 06:18
So... can I get any feedback on this Wood Elf List list:

Glade guard- 3 units (9 stands)
Eternal guard- 2 Units (6 stands)
Glade riders- 2 units (6 stands)
Dryads- 1 Unit (3 Stands)
Wild Riders- 2 Units (6 Stands)
Warhawk Riders- 1 unit (3 stands)
General
Noble,
Spellweaver

The points for this list are 1240 using M. B. Hildreth's list, or 1280 pts using the Trial Armies rules (by M. B. Hildreth and Rob Atkins). The list fulfills all min/ maxs for 1000pts using either system (or will this need double the minimum troops, as it's over 1000pts?).

I've estimated costs for this army to be about $240AU from Eureka Miniatures. Is this about normal for a Warmaster army of this size?

Suggestions on how to improve the list would also be appreciated- I have no idea with this game...

azraelezekiel
18-09-2009, 07:51
This list now counts a 2k list so you need to apply the min/max for a 2k list.
As for the list it looks ok but wardancers with an attached treeman hero is where it is at :)

Geep
18-09-2009, 09:05
On the subject of wardancers- what's best to make them out of?
Eureka's line covers most of the options, but not-
Wardancers
Treekin (not in the Trial Army list anyway)
Waywatchers

Most of a 1000pt army is taken byt the minimum troops... I guess a 1000pt elf army can have fewer characters.

azraelezekiel
18-09-2009, 10:11
Well treekin don't exist in the list I use.
SO I cannot comment on those, it was thought that there were already enough troop choices and these were the ones to go.
As for wardancers and waywatchers I used eurekas models with trees to differentiate between them and the standard troops.
Have a look at my sig for images.