PDA

View Full Version : Can a Skaven Master Assassin take Fell Blade and avoid wounds until he's revealed?

Angelust
29-08-2009, 19:21
I thought I heard that he'd still roll to see if the Fell Blade did a wound to him, just secretly until he's revealed. However, in the rules section on what it means to be hidden, it says that he cannot be harmed until he is revealed, unless his unit is killed, flees off the board, etc.

Does "cannot be harmed" mean that he cannot be harmed by his own weapon as well, or should I test for wounding in secret?

Kalandros
29-08-2009, 20:56
He is not in play.
Thus his magic items are not in play and have no effect on anything until put in play.

That's how I see it.

Sirroelivan
29-08-2009, 21:48
This has been faqed I believe. You just have to roll for the damage, without revealing the master.

Edit: The faq apparently doesn't mention it. Must have read it in the Skavenblight Gazette.

I'd still roll for the wound though, it seems a sensible choice, since I believe the hidden rules mention you can actively do anything, but the wound is a passive effect.

xragg
30-08-2009, 02:01
Kalandros has it right. He isnt considered in play. Just like you cant benefit from his magic items while hidden (like if you gave him ring of darkness), you also dont get harmed by them. On a side note, you would still roll for the warpstone amulet at the end of the game, even if the assassin never became unhidden.

decker_cky
31-08-2009, 22:04
There used to be a Q&A on the GW website where he talked about that. He said to test each turn.

Angelust
31-08-2009, 22:09
Hm...

I'd normally just discuss it with an opponent before hand, but telling him my lord choice and equipment kind of spoils the fun...

Sarah S
31-08-2009, 22:26
If you gave him the Ring of Darkness, would his unit benefit from the Magic Resistance?
I think not.

No positive effects from magic items, no negative effects from magic items.

theunwantedbeing
31-08-2009, 22:44
It's more fun to roll for it.

Then your opponent knows that there's a rat out there with a weapon capable of slaying damned near anything who could pop out from almost any unit on the field.
Keeps him on edge :D

Plus it is an opponents permission only list that isnt exactly balanced so its not really an overly serious list to be using.

You don't actually have to declare that you have the fellblade on any particular character untill he takes a wound from it anyway. Although its obvious who it is in a 2k game.....

decker_cky
31-08-2009, 22:50
The SoC list isn't opponent's permission any more than any book since the new skaven book hasn't been replaced yet.

Gekiganger
31-08-2009, 22:57
I think this was covered in an FAQ once where it said to take the rolls in secret or something to that effect.

Angelust
31-08-2009, 23:03
I'll let my opponent know I'm using an Eshin list, but not necessarily that my ninja lord has a fellblade! Although I could see the fun of having him nervously stay out of 14" of ALL of my units...haha.

"Are you sure you want to charge those slaves with your dragon? Alright, they try and hold...muwhaha."

Sarah S
31-08-2009, 23:03
It's more fun to roll for it.

Then your opponent knows that there's a rat out there with a weapon capable of slaying damned near anything who could pop out from almost any unit on the field.
Keeps him on edge

It's less fun when he dies from his own sword before popping up.

I say no rolls.

decker_cky
31-08-2009, 23:21
I think this was covered in an FAQ once where it said to take the rolls in secret or something to that effect.

I'm 100% positive it was in a Q&A.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050801233726/uk.games-workshop.com/skaven/alessio-interview/2/

"LostTourist
Hi, kudos on the Skaven! My question: If a hidden Assassin carries the Fellblade, does he take wounds from it before being revealed? If so, how does that work? Thanks a lot!

Alessio
An Assassin cannot carry the Fellblade, because it's too expensive. A Master Assassin, though, could do it, and he should test every turn. Just tell your opponent you're testing, but not where the Assassin is..."

RaI is 100% that you test.

Sarah S
31-08-2009, 23:52
Says some document that is no longer in print - if indeed it ever was.

Ganymede
01-09-2009, 01:23
I'll go ahead and reiterate the answer here.

This question has been absolutely answered with GW's official Storm of Chaos FAQ. A master assassin with the Fellblade must indeed test every turn, even if he has yet to be revealed.

Dartzstrong
01-09-2009, 02:12
The SoC list isn't opponent's permission any more than any book since the new skaven book hasn't been replaced yet.

Storm of Chaos IS illegal now. So is Kislev and Dogs of War. Only actual army books are allowed regardless. No outside lists unless specifically mentioned are allowed.

Angelust
01-09-2009, 02:36
It's in the (current) Skaven army book, though the "permission required" lists will almost surely disappear.

However, I don't see them removing the Fellblade, nor them failing to include a Lord level Eshin Assassin...though it might just nuke the problem altogether.

Sarah S
01-09-2009, 05:28
Storm of Chaos IS illegal now. So is Kislev and Dogs of War. Only actual army books are allowed regardless. No outside lists unless specifically mentioned are allowed.

According to whom? :confused:

Tournaments can ban whatever they like, but I don't think GW has pulled the official plug on SoC or Lustria outside of their own tournaments.

decker_cky
01-09-2009, 19:03
Says some document that is no longer in print - if indeed it ever was.

:rolleyes:

Storms of chaos is no longer in print either. Doesn't affect whether or not the lists are officially allowed.

And it was in print. The internet archive caches websites over time, and this one was cached from the old GW site. You can still find any documents from the old site that weren't in PDF format.

Ganymede
01-09-2009, 21:59
:rolleyes:

Storms of chaos is no longer in print either. Doesn't affect whether or not the lists are officially allowed.

As far as I am concerned, that bolded term is nothing more than a phantom, imaginary, and arbitrary term that has virtually no concrete meaning or purpose.