PDA

View Full Version : Rules for Valten, Champion of Sigmar?

Crymson
30-08-2009, 06:15
Does anyone know where the rules for this model are to be found?

Arkanthaes
30-08-2009, 10:08
The Storm of Chaos book, iirc.

Griefbringer
30-08-2009, 12:16
Actually, there are two or three different models with different rules - one was in WD, another in the Storm of Chaos book.

Kalec
30-08-2009, 17:58
The rules for both, along with a bunch of elector counts, were on the GW website. They might still be up on the less often updated ones.

Arkanthaes
31-08-2009, 08:54
Either way, none of them are "official".
WD rules arn't official, and I was told by GW staff the Storm of Chaos book was also unofficialed due to horrible balance issues

Griefbringer
31-08-2009, 12:56
Never trust GW store staff.

The original Valten rules (foot version) were also reprinted on Chronicles 2004, with a rather noticeable "Official rules" stamp in the beginning.

The Red Scourge
31-08-2009, 13:29
Either way, none of them are "official".
WD rules arn't official, and I was told by GW staff the Storm of Chaos book was also unofficialed due to horrible balance issues

Balance issues?? That doesn't sound like GW :rolleyes:

Dokushin
31-08-2009, 14:22
A pox on Valten.

It's been a couple of years, but I played a game against a GW Staff guy at one of their stores where he fielded Valten with an Ulric list.

(I was still a little inexperienced with Empire/Ulric, and he basically fleeced me -- it was a 2,000 point game, and he took Valten, three rare choices, warrior priests with scrolls, and so forth.)

I was running a pretty standard LM list with 2nd gen Slann, skinks, krox, and some Cold One Cavalry (short on models, lol). I wiped out his army -- the Giant, the many blocks of cavalry, all these S4 skirmishing guys, all of it -- and all that was left was Valten.

Valten then proceeded to destroy all of my Temple Guard, all of my Kroxigor, all of my Cavlary, and annihilate my Slann. Ballgame.

So personally I hope you never find the rules for him. </rant>

Bac5665
31-08-2009, 14:29
Sure, Valten was official...in 6E. Were in 7E now. Nothing in the annuals is official, period. Same with SoC.

Griefbringer
31-08-2009, 17:03
Were in 7E now. Nothing in the annuals is official, period. Same with SoC.

And this is stated where?

decker_cky
31-08-2009, 17:59
There's been an updated empire book. Older supplements for the 6th edition book aren't made for it. That's how it's always worked (or I'm going to take some official white dwarfs from 4th and 5th edition and use them).

Griefbringer
31-08-2009, 18:10
Interestingly enough, the current dwarf army book FAQ tells how the SoC slayer list works with the revised army book...

OTOH I made the mistake of actually reading through the Valten rules, and was reminded why had a bit questionable reputation - he really has some rather powerful special rules.

Bac5665
31-08-2009, 21:08
When America declared independence, and wrote a new constitution, did they still have to pay taxes to George III? The New edition is a new game, a new set of rules. 7E replaced 6E. The 6E BRB no longer applied, and therefore, neither do documents that modified the 6E BRB. This is a basic tenant of contracts, which is what game rules really are, an agreement to follow a the rules as we agree upon them.

Agoz
01-09-2009, 05:35
When America declared independence, and wrote a new constitution, did they still have to pay taxes to George III? The New edition is a new game, a new set of rules. 7E replaced 6E. The 6E BRB no longer applied, and therefore, neither do documents that modified the 6E BRB. This is a basic tenant of contracts, which is what game rules really are, an agreement to follow a the rules as we agree upon them.

thats not really fair to say, after all, there are still quite a few 6th edition army books that are still valid, and as has been previously stated, the dwarf faq describes how to use the slayer list with their new book.

However, generally when a new army book comes out, it invalidates all the rules for that army that existed under the old army book, with the slayer list being an exception.

WLBjork
01-09-2009, 07:00
That means the Skaven and Tomb Kings army lists are no longer valid then? :rolleyes:

All Army books from 6th are valid with 7th (including campaign books such as SoC).

The differences between the 2 core rulesets are very small, and there hasn't been a significant change in statline as was experienced between 5th and 6th.

Current Q&As/Errata (in the case of S/TK, these are slightly updated 6th documents anyway) are available from the GW website, and old rules from Annuals/Chronicles can be used.

Heck stuff from 4th/5th can be dug out and used, but it will be harder to integrate due to a much bigger change in rules and stats. I've used the "Grudge of Drong" campaign against a firends High Elves for example.

Arkanthaes
01-09-2009, 09:43
Never trust GW store staff.

That's why I said they wern't "official" as opposed to official (i.e unless someone could bring something stated as official in the text then I wouldn't believe them) and "a GW staff member told me..." not "the SoC book is unofficial..." :p

I know that, more often than not, GW staff mebers pull answers out of their unmentionables.