PDA

View Full Version : Morathi in competative games

eyescrossed
30-08-2009, 06:33
In, say, a 3000 point competative game, is Morathi worth it?

Also, what Enchanted and/or Arcane item would you give her, if any?

pyroman08
30-08-2009, 06:58
Sacrificial dagger in a big block of warriors, up to 7 additional power dice per turn, sure that's 42 points of warriors per turn dead, but so worth it. Black dragon egg if you're worried about her dying, t6 with up to 6 wounds yes please.

If you're going the in your face style you could do Malekith on Coldone, Morathi with focus familiar and black dragon egg, with the killing blow lance.

Either way in 3k points you want other sorcs to back her up cause she can't handle a magic phase on her own.

Good luck

Mullitron
30-08-2009, 07:26
Id say shes a good caster but your also paying for the points for her enchanting beauty and weapon which are designed to make her better in combat which personaly i would try to keep her away from. I would give her focus familiar and keep her out of combat.

eyescrossed
30-08-2009, 07:30
Sacrificial dagger in a big block of warriors, up to 7 additional power dice per turn, sure that's 42 points of warriors per turn dead, but so worth it.
How? You can only sacrifice 1 model per turn.

Black dragon egg if you're worried about her dying, t6 with up to 6 wounds yes please.
How 6 Wounds? If you're thinking of using Soul Stealer, it can't take her above her starting Wounds.

Either way in 3k points you want other sorcs to back her up cause she can't handle a magic phase on her own.
Yeah, I'll have 1 or 2 other Sorceresses.

Good luck
Thanks.

Mullitron
30-08-2009, 07:41
How 6 Wounds? If you're thinking of using Soul Stealer, it can't take her above her starting Wounds

Thanks.

Soul stealer can take the caster up to double their starting wounds.

pyroman08
30-08-2009, 07:51
Well i'm not sure if you can use the dagger on the power of darkness spell lol (for those times you roll a 2 or 1 on it). If so my point is valid.

Things must be different in your area, but magic and magic defense are pretty strong here. If I go magic I typically go all at it, ala as many casters with as many upgrades, and as many arcane items etc to boost their effectiveness. It's not necessarily the most prudent path, but it greatly increases your chances to dominate that phase of the game. Whereas if you half@ss it you have a much greater chance to do zip with all the points you spent on magic.

Honestly with dark elves having some of the cheapest and most effective magic, and magical items I'd bring Morathi, a level 4 or Malekith, and 4 level 2s, but I enjoy armies all batsh!t crazy like that lol.

eyescrossed
30-08-2009, 08:46
Soul stealer can take the caster up to double their starting wounds.
Oops, misread it. My bad.

Well i'm not sure if you can use the dagger on the power of darkness spell lol (for those times you roll a 2 or 1 on it). If so my point is valid.
Uhh... What? :eyebrows:

Things must be different in your area, but magic and magic defense are pretty strong here. If I go magic I typically go all at it, ala as many casters with as many upgrades, and as many arcane items etc to boost their effectiveness. It's not necessarily the most prudent path, but it greatly increases your chances to dominate that phase of the game. Whereas if you half@ss it you have a much greater chance to do zip with all the points you spent on magic.
I came to a consensus with the person I'm playing that if I don't do certain things, he won't. I don't want to face 2 Slann and 4 EotG.

Honestly with dark elves having some of the cheapest and most effective magic, and magical items I'd bring Morathi, a level 4 or Malekith, and 4 level 2s, but I enjoy armies all batsh!t crazy like that lol.
Nah, I reckon I'll need a BSB, plus I'm going to probably take a Dragon. Not a Sorceress on one though.

Copella
30-08-2009, 12:35
Sacrificial Dagger - Once per spell casting attempt. So that could be up to 5 times with a lvl 4 caster who has a Tome of Furion. Although if your bringing the Ring of Hotek, you may not want to spend a lot of points on the magic phase. Bring enough to defend it without the ring, but don't depend on it.

eyescrossed
30-08-2009, 12:42
Sacrificial Dagger - Once per spell casting attempt. So that could be up to 5 times with a lvl 4 caster who has a Tome of Furion. Although if your bringing the Ring of Hotek, you may not want to spend a lot of points on the magic phase. Bring enough to defend it without the ring, but don't depend on it.

Pah, I knew I was missing something!

But would the Ring really be a good idea when I might be facing a Slann with Cupped Hands (pass Miscast onto enemy)?

PARTYCHICORITA
30-08-2009, 15:50
Sacrificial dagger in a big block of warriors, up to 7 additional power dice per turn, sure that's 42 points of warriors per turn dead, but so worth it.

Morathi must mount Sulaphet so she can't join units.

Lord Dan
30-08-2009, 22:27
Morathi is an overcosted supreme sorceress who is half decent in CC, which is something supreme sorceresses shouldn't be trying to do.

willowdark
31-08-2009, 00:11
And don't forget that Morathi only knows spells from the Lore of Dark Magic. DM is good, really good, but against armies like Lizards and Warriors you'll really suffer for want of Lore of Metal.

eyescrossed
31-08-2009, 00:14
Morathi is an overcosted supreme sorceress who is half decent in CC, which is something supreme sorceresses shouldn't be trying to do.

Ah, but she has a 4+ Ward save, MR and +1 to all casting.

Oh, and she knows the whole Dark Magic Lore.

willowdark
31-08-2009, 00:29
Which is good, but against LM and WoC I'd rather roll for LoM.

eyescrossed
31-08-2009, 00:46
Really? LoM doesn't seem that good against Lizzies.

willowdark
31-08-2009, 01:23
EotG Skink Priest has a 2+ AS, and is probably the most dangerous model in the army next to the Slann. Saurus Scar Vets and Oldbloods can obtain huge AS. You've got a decent MM and Law of Gold could at least give you a threat against Banehead, cupped hands or the Jaguar Charm. CoR have big AS, as do Saurus Warriors and Temple Guard.

it's easy to think you'd want MMs and the like against LM. And Black Horror and Blade Wind are great spells against skinks and Terradons. But you don't want to spend the game chasing skinks around. Leave them and Terradons to your shooters and Harpies and use your magic against the big targets like Temple Guard and high AS characters, which is what LoM is all about.

You won't get wounds on TG with MM, or shooting for that matter, but at Stubborn Ld9 with cold blooded and a re-roll they're as tough to kill as anything VC or Daemons can produce. SotF on TG will give you a big advantage going into combat against them, especially if you mix in some single shot Bolt Throwers in there too.

SotF will devastate CoRs as well, leaving you free to shoot Salamanders.

eyescrossed
31-08-2009, 01:40
Hmm... Then how about I give both/one/my only Lvl2(s) LoM and my Lvl4 Dark Magic?

willowdark
31-08-2009, 01:49
Well, that is a big advantage of multiple Casters, mixing and matching Lores. But I like to max out on one Lore to make sure I get the best chance of landing the spells I want.

The good thing about DE magic is that Druchii Sorcery means even low level casters can reliably get the big spells off, so there's no pressure to always drop spell 6 for spell 1.

I run a Lvl4 and a Lvl2 in my 2250 list. The Lvl2 takes the Tome of Furion so gets 3 spells. If both take the same Lore I've got the best chance possible to get the spells I want and an equal chance to cast the big spells regardless of which one gets it. Splitting Lores drastically increases the chances of suffering to bad spell selection.

eyescrossed
31-08-2009, 01:59
2 Lvl2s choosing Metal and a Lvl4 choosing Dark, I've got a high chance to get Spirit of the Forge, and I can have 2 snipers if I want.

EDIT: Also, using the first spell against a Skink on a Steg will be very difficult to hit the Skink.

willowdark
31-08-2009, 02:09
That's true. But I'd still say it's likely to draw out dispels. Sometimes magic is about threat more than effect. One dispelled spell is a drain on his resources, making that SotF more likely to get through. RoBI _is_ a threat to that SP. I'd hate to gamble on letting it go through.

These are all just thoughts. Nothing will teach you more than game play itself. Try it out. I do think that a Lvl4 Dark Mage and 2 Lvl2 Metal Mages would certainly be a good build.

eyescrossed
31-08-2009, 02:13
That's true. But I'd still say it's likely to draw out dispels. Sometimes magic is about threat more than effect. One dispelled spell is a drain on his resources, making that SotF more likely to get through. RoBI _is_ a threat to that SP. I'd hate to gamble on letting it go through.

These are all just thoughts. Nothing will teach you more than game play itself. Try it out. I do think that a Lvl4 Dark Mage and 2 Lvl2 Metal Mages would certainly be a good build.

Thanks.

Although, if you want to go into great detail about what I should do, PM it to me please, since my opponent graces the halls of Warseer.