PDA

View Full Version : Carnosaurs, "LOLWUT?"

eyescrossed
30-08-2009, 12:11
Hi everyone, newbie here.

I thought that a Carnosaur was a Large Target, until I saw someone on here say that it wasn't. I then remembered that it says in the LM army book that Kroq-gar will be Frenzied if Grymloq dies, but I didn't think mounts that weren't Large Targets could be killed seperately.

So, basically, what does a mount need to be for it to be killed seperately, and are Carnosaurs Large Targets?

Thanks in advance (by the way, I've lost my rulebook).

Lijacote
30-08-2009, 12:14
Multiple wounds on a mount = you can kill it, pretty surely.

eyescrossed
30-08-2009, 12:18
Ah, that's reasonable.

Milgram
30-08-2009, 12:32
and US 5+ you can target it separately out of units, even though it is not a large target.

eyescrossed
30-08-2009, 12:34
Wait, you can target it seperate from a unit or the character riding it?

Kalandros
30-08-2009, 12:41
No, if a model's total US is 5 or more, then you can pick it out of a unit. For exemple: Orion.
Most US5+ models are also flyers or cannot join units so only a few cases can be used, including the Carnosaur.

The fact that they removed his Large Target is pretty ridiculous but its the rulef or the next 5+ years

eyescrossed
30-08-2009, 12:47
Yeah, a 30' long lizard ain't big :rolleyes:

Necromancy Black
30-08-2009, 12:58
Yeah, a 30' long lizard ain't big :rolleyes:

I think they've done it to put in rules to show the stalking nature of the creature. Despite being a giant lizard that eats anything else it comes across, it pays to not draw as much attention to yourself if only to get closer to something you want to eat before it sees you.

Rules wise it only affects the +1 to hit and LOS. It can still be picked out individually from a unit, because anything US 5 higher can be picked out.

eyescrossed
30-08-2009, 13:05
Yeah, but now it can hide behind Skink Skirmishers -_-

Lijacote
30-08-2009, 13:10
Sneaky lizard that.

nosferatu1001
30-08-2009, 13:13
1 wound mount == can't be killed, for example a royal peg isnt large but can be killed out frmo under you (i think it has 2 wounds...probably wrong but the idea stands!) as it has more than 1 wound. You do not need "large target" status for this to occur.

The Carnosaur was large, but that meant that a T5 4+ save creature died to the first bit of shooting that could see it, so to make it more of a viable mount it got dropped. There is fluff for it as well, but game balance was more important.

US5 or greater means that, as long as you be seen, you can be picked out of a unit when being shot at - so a carnosaur in Cold ONes can be shot if the model can be seen.

Urgat
30-08-2009, 13:27
The Carnosaur was large, but that meant that a T5 4+ save creature died to the first bit of shooting that could see it

Like every single monstruous mount apart from dragons, no?

eyescrossed
30-08-2009, 13:53
But you do randomize hits, don't you? It isn't just targetable, is it?

Well it wouldn't be - it'd make Pegasii quite crap.

Necromancy Black
30-08-2009, 14:01
But you do randomize hits, don't you? It isn't just targetable, is it?

Well it wouldn't be - it'd make Pegasii quite crap.

Your failing to understand.

There is one, count it, on rule that lets you normally pick a unit out in combat, and that is the target is US 5 or greater.

Large Target, Monstrous mount....neither of these have anything to do with the rule that normally let you pick out a target from a unit.

There is no randomisation, you directly target the unit with US5 or higher.

eyescrossed
30-08-2009, 14:05
Your failing to understand.

There is one, count it, on rule that lets you normally pick a unit out in combat, and that is the target is US 5 or greater.

Large Target, Monstrous mount....neither of these have anything to do with the rule that normally let you pick out a target from a unit.

There is no randomisation, you directly target the unit with US5 or higher.

Oops, I meant "are hits randomized between the character and the mount?"

Oh, and I found that Slann thread about the Guardian rule. Man, was killfreedom nonsensicle.

Necromancy Black
30-08-2009, 14:07
Oops, I meant "are hits randomized between the character and the mount?"

Oh, and I found that Slann thread about the Guardian rule. Man, was killfreedom nonsensicle.

Annoying part for me was that GW didn't even give a decent reason as to why my view was wrong.

And yes, hits are randomised between rider and mount as shooting can not normally pick them apart as they are a single model.*

*This also means things like Rule of Burning Iron can't pick out the rider or mount and must randomise between them.

eyescrossed
30-08-2009, 14:15
Phew, just making sure.

Milgram
30-08-2009, 15:56
Most US5+ models are also flyers or cannot join units so only a few cases can be used, including the Carnosaur.

flying characters can join units. characters on flying mounts cannot. e.g. a bloodthirster can join an unit.

nosferatu1001
30-08-2009, 16:16
Except it cannot join units as the box out specifically forbids them from doing so as they are monsters = even if they then FAQ that this only means some parts of monster....

jaxom
30-08-2009, 16:35
Except it cannot join units as the box out specifically forbids them from doing so as they are monsters = even if they then FAQ that this only means some parts of monster....

Pardon? Who are you saying cannot join a unit?

nosferatu1001
30-08-2009, 16:44
Bloodthirsters cannot join units. P30.

Lijacote
30-08-2009, 16:46
Pardon? Who are you saying cannot join a unit?

The bloodthirster, she can not join units.

Oops, lost to Nosferatu by a margin of two minutes.

Kalandros
30-08-2009, 16:52
flying characters can join units. characters on flying mounts cannot. e.g. a bloodthirster can join an unit.

Greater Demons are ALL unable to join units per their own rules.

Milgram
30-08-2009, 18:35
ok, don't have the new demons book. the old greater demons were able to join units. :) however, nothing prevents flying characters from joining units.

xragg
30-08-2009, 19:43
... but if your ride can fly, you'll get ostracized from almost every unit in the world.

lucky git
30-08-2009, 19:57
the should re-write the book and call it a sneakosaur now instead of the Carnosaur:D

cheers

Killboss
30-08-2009, 21:01
I thought that a Carnosaur was a Large Target, until I saw someone on here say that it wasn't.

Not to mention i said it....

EDIT: Oh, my bad, mentioned it ;)

PARTYCHICORITA
30-08-2009, 22:01
Quick question. Carnosaurs can be targeted if they join a unit because they are US5+, ok; but, what if they are on their own standing behind said unit?
Then you wouldn't be able to target them anymore, correct?

Nurgling Chieftain
30-08-2009, 22:46
Correct, unless you have some way to see over the unit in between (such as the firer being a large target or on a hill).