PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Guard Command Squads

Dirty Fingers
10-05-2005, 05:07
What's the best way to equip these guys? Usually i think fists for junior officers (lower initiative) and power weapons for senior officers and comissars (higher initiative)

I'm also wondering whether it's worth it to equip any of the squad with special weapons. In 3rd Edition, equipping them all with special weapons seemed like a decent idea...especially if you loaded them up with plasma guns. Now with 4th editions lack of screening, this doesn't seem so good. Without screening, i'm also thinking that special weapons and heavy weapons in command squads are no good whatsoever, and at best, command squads can only hide behind some terrain, help out with leadership, and maybe leap forward for a CC counterattack.

ExoCowboy
10-05-2005, 06:01
I would not equip junior officers with fists, as they are treated as independent characters and have only one wound. Thus they can be targetted, and because of their power fist they would become the target number one. On the other hand , a commissar with a fist is not an independent character and cannot be targetted.

I have a heroic senior officer with power weapon, a medic, a fist-wielding commissar, sanct. psyker (because its so cool), a banner and the rest of guys are just basic troopers. It might not be the best unit, but it suits me well :)

lord_blackfang
10-05-2005, 07:38
Command Squads = 1 missile launcher

As if you need anything else.

Nazguire
10-05-2005, 07:44
Command Squads = 1 missile launcher

As if you need anything else.

Unfortunately that 1 missile launcher won't do much if you are BS 3...it'll hit usually 50% of the time.

So maybe more than that is good...like master vox caster or a medic or whatever? :confused: ;)

sigur
10-05-2005, 10:10
This should be in 40k Tactics...and there's an IG tactica iirc.

HQ squad:
My command squad normally includes "the medium officer" (Hauptmann = junior senior officer? :p no idea what's he called in englisch.), since the HSO seems to be a bit "much" for 1500pts games where you normally field only about 2 platoons. He gets nothing very fancy, a power weapon and a Bolt pistol, the soldiers get Laspistols and swords.
The standard bearer is a must, apart from that, I'm keeping them cheap to make them less of a juicy target for the enemy.

Platoon command squads:
Power weapon and Bolt Pistol OR a Stormbolter for the Officer, 2-3 Grenade Launchers and 1-2 CCW&Laspistol. I'd take the power weapon rather than the Stormbolter, but if I'm feeling stormboltery that day, It'll be a Stormbolter. ;)

You can also always put up a "plasma squad from hell" with 3 Plasmaguns, a Plasma Pistol on the Officer and a Medic with a Bolter and good dice.

milmot
11-05-2005, 02:21
yeah, plasma squad from hell is bad.

my bro used that on me all the time. its a space marine killer squad. also very effective at taking down tanks. charge them in with a chimera, then rapid fire shots. difficult to pull off, but worth their weight in gold when it works - which is most of the time :(
but this was back in 3rd ed rules. havent keep up with the new rules so dont know how effective it is.

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
11-05-2005, 02:46
Its even more effective when you have three backed up by two special weapons squads with a demo charge and 2 flamers each. Ouch.

Adept
11-05-2005, 02:47
A power fist is 20 points for one S6 attack from a T3 model with a 5+ save and crappy initiative.

Why would you bother?

A 5 point power weapon is a much better buy.

Lord Blackfang is right. A commmand squad is just another excuse to field a missile launcher.

mostholycerebus
11-05-2005, 03:40
You can either use them for Leadership with one heavy weapon, or a few special weapons. Since I use vet sgts and COD (giving each squad an independent LD9) I use them as a 4xspecial weapon suicide squad. A PW+BP or bolter officer adds some cheap kick.

Unfortunately that 1 missile launcher won't do much if you are BS 3...it'll hit usually 50% of the time.

So maybe more than that is good...like master vox caster or a medic or whatever? :confused: ;)

Nope. Single missle launcher = cheap, non-threatening squad. If you load them up they will become a HUGE priority for your opponent and get killed in turn1. With just a cheap HW they might get something done, and losing them is no big deal.

Vox are a waste of points in games under 2500 points. Medics are always more expensive than just another gun.

sulla
11-05-2005, 05:13
I'd give all comm-squads mortars and give the big boss aq master vox and company standard.

Hide them and use them like real command squads, i.e. as commanders, not cc troops.

If you want cc, take ogryns or independant commissars (or both)...

sigur
11-05-2005, 09:13
I have to agree with sulla. It's also the more fluffy way. Maybe give them some CC stuff and use them as semi-mobile thread-reaction squads backed up by a bunch infantrymen in CC.

Anvils Hammer
11-05-2005, 13:12
my command squad is a very fluffy jack of all trades and master of none

it has a kitted out HSO with PW and plasma pistol, 3 veterans and a plama gunner, one of the veterans is a medic, i find medics really useful for ignoring plamsa overheats.
i also attach a comisar with power fist for CC goodness.

Captain Brown
11-05-2005, 17:35
This should be in 40k Tactics...and there's an IG tactica iirc.

HQ squad:
My command squad normally includes "the medium officer" (Hauptmann = junior senior officer? :p no idea what's he called in englisch.), since the HSO seems to be a bit "much" for 1500pts games where you normally field only about 2 platoons.

Sigur, the translation of Hauptmann would be Captain (Army types not the Naval Captain) as opposed to the Colonel who leads the Regiment (your senior officer who is equivalent to a Naval Captain).

I also use a bit of a mixed bag:

Officer with a power weapon (because Officers of the Imperial Guard should have sword), a standard for the HQ, a Melta gun, a couple of regular Guardsmen for casualties, and finally the one Commissar with a Powerfist for the punch.

For platoon commands I usually replace the standard with a medic and the Melta Gun with a Plasma Gun with a couple of Guardsmen for casualties.

Cheers.

sigur
11-05-2005, 17:45
@Cpt.Brown: Thanks for the clarification, but I knew the poper translation. The latest IG codex (english version) just uses those abstract names for officers like "junior officer", "senior officer" and "heroic senior officer" and I wasn't sure how my poor lil Hauptmann was to be translated to those categories at the moment. ;)

Frodo34x
16-05-2005, 19:34
Usually my main command uses JO w/ honorifica and a standard.

My platoon HQs will either have 4 special weapons or nothing at all.

Hespithe
16-05-2005, 20:54
I prefer counter assault command squads.

JO w/ power weapon, pistol
Priest w/ power weapon, ccw
Psyker w/ ccw, pistol
4 Guardsmen w/ Flamers

Even MEq players fear these small units.

milmot
17-05-2005, 01:59
Following the fluff...

I love the cadian officer model. He looks like an aristocratic obnoxious bastard who has a fancy sword that has probably never been used.

At least he looks like a proper officers, standing at the back giving orders while waving his sword, but never actually using his priceless heirlom in battle.

predatorsown
17-05-2005, 12:36
My theory on the cowardly hiding at the back kind of officer is that the guard army you see on the table is only a small fraction of a much larger force. Any of those type of officers are going to be hiding in the thickest bunker at the back of the lines well away from the actual fighting. This also leads me to only use junior officers in my forces as their senior officers are else where taknig care of more important things, like holding bunkers down.

My command squads are all built to drop well away from my own lines and carry four special weapons. The reason is simple enough if you're going to give special weapons to anyone wouldn't the guys under the direct command of the local officer make sense, that way he can point them in the correct direction when they get there.

The officer is not equipped with cc weapons, if he lives that long its a miracle. Theres no medic for my plasma gunners they're already dead when they drop in so why waste 11 points on delaying it one phase when 10 will get you another spare. This makes the squad between 64 and 80 points depending on the weapon of choice.

If you want counter assault use rough riders they work better and are cheaper, well pointswise at least.

@Sigur - I think I killed the guard tactica a while back when I posted my army list. Err sorry didn't mean to.

Sojourner
17-05-2005, 12:51
I wouldn't equip mine heavily. How many points could you sink into tooling up a command squad that could otherwise be spent on squad heavy weapons and such? I know which I'd prefer.

plasmadaemon
17-05-2005, 16:30
I usually equip my command squads with junior officers. These have a plasmapistol and a powerweapon and carapace armour; the squad then is equiped with 4 plasmaguns, sure, the squad is costly, but you have the abillity to wipe out a squad of termies in one round of shooting.

btw this combo goes for all of my command squads and every squad has a plasmagun in them :evilgrinwhereareyou:

McGonigle
17-05-2005, 17:11
I don't bother with Vox's ecspiecally if you are not going for a Heroic Senoir officer by the time you spend the points for him to have a Vox and for any squad you want to benefit it is not much more expensive (In many cases cheaper) to just buy the squads Veteran sergeants (1 point more for an extra attack)

I generally give Platoon Command Squads the same Weapon options as the Platoon they command.

As for the Big command squad it has one of every special weapon (For the brillant tactical reason of having 4 special weapons men lying around)

Darius Rhiannon
18-05-2005, 07:04
Voxes are inferior to Veteran Sargeants as you can only use a Vox once per turn. Veteran sargeants can use their leadership always. Eventhough it is one of those interesting omissions in the rule book.

Scythe
18-05-2005, 09:08
I also don't really bother with voxes. Command radius is free and just as effective if used currectly. I tend to minimalise equipment for my command squads since 4th edition came out. Since they can't be screened, they just hide away most of the time. Add a simple and cheap powerweapon or maybe meltagun or 2 just in case, and maybe a medic for the overall command HQ (and of course a standard for the command HQ, priceless upgrade), and I'm done. I'm concidering giving them mortars tough. Since they hide away anyway, an indirect fire weapon would make them a little more usefull in the killing department. And it's not a huge investment of points.

Melchor
18-05-2005, 11:45
My command squad:
HSO with Power Weapon and Laspistol
Commissar with Power Weapon and Boltpistol (You can't properly execute someone with a laspistol can you?)
Banner
Troopers with Laspistol and CCW

I have a commissar model with a power fist ready to be painted by the way. PF Commissars rule! :P
Used as a counter attack unit. They have proven very effective, they just won't break! :D