PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Dark Elves.

Phoenix Blaze
31-08-2009, 21:26
I'm currently reading the Malus Darkblade novels, and well, I've remembered (not realised) how wickedly cruel and awesome Dark Elves can be! I've always wanted to run a Druchii army and with the relatively new codex and some new models, I might just do that.

So, I imagine they play like all Elves, strike hard, strike fast or die..........but are they more protected than Wood Elves (who I've played in the past), I'd imagine so, but not as fast maybe?

Is it possible to make up an effective army that does not include the plastic warriors. They're butt ugly, whereas the Corsairs and the Cold one Knights are fantastic! I really love the idea of the corsairs, so I'd like to take a fair amount of them (maybe splicing the sprues would result in okay looking warriors).

I know there's a druchii.net (just like asrai.org and I'm sure there's an asur.net or something too), but I thought I'd post here and not be swamped by druchii players.

artyboy
31-08-2009, 22:29
Corsairs are generally considered to be pretty crappy. They're overpriced warriors. I think that a lot of people overblow how bad they are. Give them the frenzy banner and you've got a pretty cheap unit with 3 attacks per model. I agree with you that they look cool enough to field. That's why I finally broke down and picked some up. The rest of the core choices are all rock solid choices that you can't go wrong with.

Cold one knights are good when they pass their stupidity tests. There's nothing more frustrating than setting yourself up perfectly for a devastating charge just to fail a stupidity test that ruins your carefully laid plans.

Dark14
31-08-2009, 22:40
corsairs are fine 1 unit with frenzy is a core choice for basicly elite stats 3attacks with hatred is gross. Also Black guard are invaluble they are one of the best units in the game.

they have no protection from being hit like all elves but with movement 5 you should be fine hitting them and winning in 1 turn.

gorenut
31-08-2009, 22:57
Definitely go for Corsairs. Don't go with the mass and just stock up on Warriors. Not only do Corsairs look better.. but I think they're the properly priced models out of the two (warriors are really undercosted, IMO). Corsairs work even better (as mentioned already) with the frenzy banner along with the Cauldron of Blood.

Cold One Knights ofcourse, are pretty awesome too.

willowdark
31-08-2009, 22:59
I converted all of my Warriors and RxBs from corsairs. Basically used their bodies and cloaks but gave them shields and either spears or crossbows from the Warrior box, respectively. Corsairs don't have an option for any of those things, so in spite of the cloaks, no one has ever complained about being confused. They look amazing but function the way DE core is supposed to.

Of course, you end up stuck with 40 Warriors bodies and nothing to do with them, but it's a small price to pay. I certainly feel like I got my money's worth.

O&G'sRule
31-08-2009, 23:28
My dark elf army is a block of 20 black guard, 10 corsairs, 18 executioners,a hydra, a couple of crossbow units, a spear elf unit a unit of cold ones a bolt thrower and a couple of assassins with a (supreme) sorceress. I usually take kouran. I've just converted a vargulf into a manticore to take crone hellebron, so that should be some fun. I have some shades, but they never do anything. Probably not the best DE army but it looks good on the table and is surpisingly hard hitting. If you can paint even the plastic basic troops are nice models when you see them up close, theyre alot nicer than pics make them look. Get a couple of units of cold ones and use the spare heads and crossbows (handbows really)from those and the corsairs if you really have to

theunwantedbeing
31-08-2009, 23:33
The best advice is to simply get hold of all the stuff you think is cool looking.
But obviousloy make sure it's a legal army.

Works for prettymuch any army really.
But dark elves have the bonus of every choice being worth it and able to be made to work with prettymuch anything else you bother to take.

You can swap sprues around to make nicer looking troops if you really want to, DE's do have some really fantastic plastic kits available.

nzdarkelf
31-08-2009, 23:47
By splicing the sprues together I guess you mean putting torso's with legs as well as weapon swaps. I put Warrior bodies on corsair legs (with 40k Dark Eldar helms) to make up my Black Guard, and that worked well. Corsair torso's on the warriors legs is harder. They dont fit together unless you hack off plasticon the back of the warriors mail 'skirt.' I have done that for a couple of character conversions and it looks good. Just a bit more work. Wouldn't want to do a whole unit of it.

Corsairs are a 'core' unit, so there is no need to take any Warriors units if you do not wish.

LKHERO
01-09-2009, 02:27
Corsairs can be used for Shades btw. They look really similar with their RxBs and cloaks.

Use Glade Guard heads and you're good to go!

WusteGeist
01-09-2009, 02:28
For shame if you dont take Dark Riders as your core. They are some of the coolest core choice types out there. Of course you want to convert and not use the stock dark rider as that model blows chunks.

nzdarkelf
01-09-2009, 12:19
I actually quite like the current Dark Riders, I just don't like the price being a metal figure. The steed leaves a lot to be desired too. I once thought they looked cute, but I've gone away from the cartoon look. I'm doing the wood elf conversion thing, but with the rumours of plastic figs on the horizon, I may limit the amount I do.

I too have thought of using corsairs to build shades, however having purchased Dark Eldar boxes to use their helms on my black guard, I will be using corsair torso's on D.Eldar legs. It will make them slightly shorter, but I hope will give them a woodsman feel.

Vermin-thing
01-09-2009, 12:32
Perhaps Marauder Horsemen (legs, and horse) + corsair body + warriors spear + small amount of green stuff for arms (cloaked arms) + glade guard heads + ????? = profit? It's a shame that GW doesn't offer a 5 pack (with command) for a bit less, but there still not great models.

What about harpies? Not that I'd use them.

The SkaerKrow
01-09-2009, 13:08
The Warrior Spear makes for an awful cavalry spear. You're better off ordering standard bearer bits offline and using the standard pole as a Dark Rider spear, as it looks much better.

Neither Corsairs nor Warriors can fight their way out of a paper sack, so basing your force around large blocks of Corsairs is really just an exercise in using a more expensive alternative to an already inferior unit. That said, Corsairs can be effective when run in small units, harrassing flanks, misdirecting opponents and assisting in combined charges. When armed with Handbows, they also have the ability to see off your opponents light cavalry and fliers, not to mention pesky High Elf infantry.

Cold One Knights on the other hand are effective and fairly potent shock cavalry. Just be aware of Stupidity, as it can (and will) see you snatching defeat from the jaws of victory from time to time.

deggaroth
01-09-2009, 19:18
Corsairs are awesome, but are rarely seen, because it is hard to use them effectively, especially when people have the option to save points for a mindless unit like ASF BG. I generally field a unit of 10 corsairs with additional hand weapons and a musician, and have found them to be a surprisingly effective support unit.

If you must use a large block, give them the sea serpent standard; having a cauldron in the list will further increase their nastiness. Frenzied Corsairs with a frontage of 7 and KB blessing = 22 KB attacks = Ouch! ;)

I agree with everyone that the current dark rider model looks like crap. What I did was to buy glade riders, and chop off their bows to replace them with the handbows from the corsair box. Furthermore the glade rider box comes with 8 models, and since you only need five for a given unit, you essentially have three extra models to convert to characters.

artyboy
02-09-2009, 00:06
I really like the old dark riders models. They're a bit static but I still think that they look good. The horses are kind of cartoony but the glade rider horses just look so lame that I'd rather go with the dark rider horses.