PDA

View Full Version : Warseer IRC?

noTrace
01-09-2009, 04:44
Is there a mIRC channel for Warseer members? Sorry if im posting in wrong thingie.

Pooky
01-09-2009, 07:47
*shrug* don't know...

EVIL INC
01-09-2009, 14:58
Would be a good idea.

HsojVvad
01-09-2009, 19:03
What is IRC? Or mIRC?

Lord Malorne
01-09-2009, 19:05
What is IRC? Or mIRC?

Likewise explain. Kids these days :mad:.

Dictator
01-09-2009, 19:08
IRC is a channel based chat program. It can also be used for sending files.

mIRC is a derivative (basically the same thing).

I wish there was a #warseer

Imperius
01-09-2009, 19:37
IRC is a popular private chatroom specific to a group or game. Instead of forums discussion where you wait the day or two to get a response from people, you have instant feedback from other players seeing as it is much quicker to type in a line or a phrase, WITHOUT, the 30 second wait timer between posts.

Now for questions to a moderator or some other, this is ideal as it happens live, with more flexibilty in the conversation and it is simply easier to communicate between two people.

HsojVvad
01-09-2009, 19:45
Ah I see now. This use to be a huge thing, but has died down quite a bit. I am surprised that there isn't one, but I guess if it dosn't make anyone money why put resources in it?

My god, I just sound like a Tyranid now lol.

Tonberry
01-09-2009, 19:59
There definitely used to be one.

*ponders*

philbrad2
01-09-2009, 20:27
Not 40K related to Other GW Discussions for you ...

PhilB
:chrome:
+ WarSeer Mod Team +

FAQ
http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php
POSTING GUIDLINES
http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php?faq=rules#faq_posting_guidelines

Irisado
01-09-2009, 20:33
As someone who isn't a fan of fads, this just sounds like another fad to me. If you want instant replies, then you get to know a few people on the forum very well, and communicate with them via MSN in my opinion.

On that basis, I just don't see the need for it, and besides, wouldn't it make the forums redundant to a certain extent?

It seems to me that there is just a general lack of patience being expressed on issues of this sort, as most posts get replied to, you just have to wait. Not everything can be available at just the touch of the button.

When all fails, always fall back on the Garfield the cat, who defined patience as 'waiting for the pizza to thaw' ;).

Charax
01-09-2009, 20:39
As someone who isn't a fan of fads, this just sounds like another fad to me. If you want instant replies, then you get to know a few people on the forum very well, and communicate with them via MSN in my opinion.
IRC predates MSN by over a decade. If anything's the "fad" here, it's MSN

On that basis, I just don't see the need for it, and besides, wouldn't it make the forums redundant to a certain extent?
Not at all. IRC functions like a chatroom, which means holding multiple discussions in a single channel is problematic and topics don't linger like they do on a forum.

Irisado
01-09-2009, 20:53
IRC predates MSN by over a decade. If anything's the "fad" here, it's MSN

I had never heard of it, which is why I thought it was some new fad, so I apologise if this isn't the case.

Not at all. IRC functions like a chatroom, which means holding multiple discussions in a single channel is problematic and topics don't linger like they do on a forum.

Okay, but I still can't really see what the benefits would be.

Hena
01-09-2009, 21:20
What is IRC? Or mIRC?
IRC means Internet Relay Chat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irc). It's little like chatrooms in www, but uses a completely different protocol and it's not related to www or web browsers (it's actually about year older than www protocol). Read more on the link.

mIRC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIRC) is a very common IRC client used in windows (it's analogy to www would be a web browser).

Edit: And IRC was invented by a finn. :)

Condottiere
02-09-2009, 00:31
From my rather limited experience, it's as if everyone is talking at once and you have to sift through all the replies to see if one is a response to yours, or if you want to further discuss a particular point.

If the discussion moves fast, catching up is a little problematic.

McMullet
02-09-2009, 15:21
Depends on the structure of the channel. I've used IRC for work where there was a fairly strict system of who was "chairing" the discussion, who could talk and when.

The old unofficial #warseer IRC channel was quite the opposite. There were rarely more than half a dozen people there, so it was veeerrrry quiet.

Sgt John Keel
03-09-2009, 05:41
Depends on the structure of the channel. I've used IRC for work where there was a fairly strict system of who was "chairing" the discussion, who could talk and when.

The old unofficial #warseer IRC channel was quite the opposite. There were rarely more than half a dozen people there, so it was veeerrrry quiet.

Correction, present tense. It still is very quiet, and still unofficial, but can be found on Freenode.

McMullet
03-09-2009, 15:06
It no longer exists, because I'm not there anymore. :p

Bouncl
03-09-2009, 18:11
I'd be all for it. The nice thing about IRC is that you don't even need MSN or the like, since you can PM people.

Wyatt
04-09-2009, 14:57
It would be very easy to set one up, all you do is go to any IRC network and type "join #warseer".

I'm currently on a nice network, quite small channels-wise but quite large tech wise (two servers). They'd be happy to add another channel and there are folks at hand with extensive IRC knowledge to help out. (Wouldn't like to seem like I'm trying to advertise though - sorry if I am).

IRC is not a fad. Or, if it is, it's as much a fad as online forums are. It's just a protocol.

The question is, would any warseer officials need to op the channel? They'd need experience. If not then might as well just make a generic warhammer channel. If it's going to be warseer official then it kinda needs warseer officials. :)

Anyway. As I was saying you could go to one of the stereotypical IRC networks like undernet or efnet. Good sides: low load times, high security, more channels to make friends with. Bad sides: don't even try and contact a network administrator.

Or, you could go with a smaller IRC network. Good sides: good contact with the opers if you need help or have any problems; more likely to want to keep you (so might offer incentives such as vhosts which otherwise might have to pay for). Example is the one I was talking about, Slacked (irc.slacked.org #warseer).

Condottiere
04-09-2009, 19:37
If I'm not mistaken, various other Warhammer websites have some form of IRC, where they discuss GW related stuff, among other things.