PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Empire Artillery

Earlandir
10-05-2005, 05:21
What's the best way to counter a heavy artillery empire army using skaven and/or high elves? We usually play 2000 points and he has 5+ artillery. My skaven seem to do decent against them, but my high elves get destroyed

taer
10-05-2005, 05:36
For the High elves I'd go for flying units. And scouts, such as the shadow warriors. These are ideal war-machine hunters, and can fulfill other signifigant roles (such as mmarch blocking). In fact, Gutter runners work just like the shadow warriors, so there's your answer on that.

Dirty Fingers
10-05-2005, 06:27
You have several options for skaven. you can use scouting gutter runners and assassins. Better still, you can use a tunneling team. Also, if you have a Grey Seer, you can skitterleap a hero or two. maybe an assassin, or an engineer.

Oguleth
10-05-2005, 10:04
Depends somewhat on what kind of machines he brings aswell. If he only has 1-2 cannons, you could bring 4 RBTs and maim crew, just place the rbts somewhere you can target the machines, but out of sight of the cannons or just go for shootind down the cannon crew first. You might lose an rbt if you don`t get to fire first, but no matter. You can then gun down the shorter ranged Helblasters and the mortars (which is less effective when it comes to taking out enemy artillery). If you combine this with some revised Life lore magic like Master of Stone chosen by the Seer Honour if he is on a hill, and things can be taken out quite fast. Add in som flyers, shadow warriors and suchlike and you can take out those machines quite fast, plus you can marchblock him a lot so he won`t get to your machines in a hurry.

Earlandir
11-05-2005, 03:56
thats a good idea. i need some shadow warriors and another eagle. he uses 2 cannons, 2 mortars, and a hellblaster cannon, with 2-3 engineers.

Sariel
11-05-2005, 17:26
he uses 2 cannons, 2 mortars, and a hellblaster cannon, with 2-3 engineers.

Eh? What else does he have in that list? And where are the rest of his characters?

With 2-3 engineers and that much artillery, he's got to be light somewhere..

That being said, Shadow Warriors and Eagles are pretty good. Depending on how many handgunners/crossbowmen/archers he has, you might also want to consider investing in several (3 is a nice number) units of Silver Helms with NO UPGRADES except for a musician. A bargain at 105 points a unit, and if even 2 Silver Helms make it into charge range, they should be more than capable of seeing off a war machine crew. If nothing else, it will give him something else to shoot at besides the Eagles.

And, imho, Eagles are much better at diverting charges, march-blocking and tying up artillery crews, not killing them. Not when they only have 2 attacks.Especially not Empire 3-man crews with a character (albeit a rather crappy character) for support.