PDA

View Full Version : Dreadnought daemon prince?

Giganthrax
01-09-2009, 13:22
In CSM codex it says powerful chaos lords and sorcerers sometimes get upgraded to DP by their patron deities. So I've been reading Dead Sky, Black Sun, which features a rather sane (for a CSM) chaos lord Berossus, who is also a dreadnought.

So my question is, can a dreadnought be promoted to a daemon prince, and if not, why not?

(basically, I want to convert a dreadnought daemon prince for my nurgle army, so I'm looking for an excuse ;))

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
01-09-2009, 13:27
Yes.

Yes they can.

Giganthrax
01-09-2009, 13:43
Anyone converted a model like this? I'd love to see some pictures, too, if available. :)

will564752
01-09-2009, 14:53
Its kind of counter-productive thought don't ya think?!

If the inhabitant of a Dreadnought became favoured by the Chaos Gods and was elevated to Daemon Prince status, why would he need a Dreadnought anymore? He would have been reborn in Body and Soul as a Daemon in the Warp, he would no longer be a weak and mauled corpse that he was when in the Dreadnought!

Stucorb
01-09-2009, 14:53
Anything can pretty much become a daemon fluff wise so i suppose that anything can also become a daemon prince. In a grey knight novel a STC AI becomes a daemon after getting lonely.

Stucorb
01-09-2009, 14:55

If the inhabitant of a Dreadnought became favoured by the Chaos Gods and was elevated to Daemon Prince status, why would he need a Dreadnought anymore? He would have been reborn in Body and Soul as a Daemon in the Warp, he would no longer be a weak and mauled corpse that he was when in the Dreadnought!

because he likes the feel of the hull against his skin :)

Or maybe like soul grinders it could help him exist in normal space:chrome:

will564752
01-09-2009, 14:57

I like that Idea :D The Soul Grinder Fluff is really good in my opinion :)

Giganthrax
01-09-2009, 20:11

Well, daemon princes are extremely varied, depending on the whim of their patron god at the moment of their ascension.

The way I imagine it, by the time he became a daemon prince, the chaos lord inside the dreadnought has been sealed in for so long the dreadnought has pretty much become his real body. Hence, when he would mutate into a daemon prince, his body and the dreadnought would meld, even with parts of the dreadnought itself mutating and coming to life, creating a half-machine daemon like a soul grinder.

EDIT: that even goes well with the entire daemon-prince leading chaos marines theme, as the half-dreadnought body would help it remain in the physical world.

Dhazzakull
01-09-2009, 20:56
could be, but i think its more likely the fresh generated demonprince would rip his mechanical body into little pieces to come out.
Just imagine, A dreadnought sarcaphagus, gets torn up and the fresh born demon prince spreads his wings over the smouldering remains of his demolitioned dreadnought armour, would look uber cool.

will564752
01-09-2009, 21:32
Well, daemon princes are extremely varied, depending on the whim of their patron god at the moment of their ascension.

The way I imagine it, by the time he became a daemon prince, the chaos lord inside the dreadnought has been sealed in for so long the dreadnought has pretty much become his real body. Hence, when he would mutate into a daemon prince, his body and the dreadnought would meld, even with parts of the dreadnought itself mutating and coming to life, creating a half-machine daemon like a soul grinder.

EDIT: that even goes well with the entire daemon-prince leading chaos marines theme, as the half-dreadnought body would help it remain in the physical world.

Makes sense :) when you put it like that it sounds pretty good!

trolly
01-09-2009, 22:49
hi,

what i have in mind is that he will have a head jolted from the upper hull like defiler and having longer leg.
making a 4 legs dreadnought maybe can be count as DP.
and dreadnought chassis is like wearing armor IMHO.

Anything can pretty much become a daemon fluff wise so i suppose that anything can also become a daemon prince. In a grey knight novel a STC AI becomes a daemon after getting lonely.

is it a titan STC ?
well if lots of titan legion turned to chaos, its no wonder. even titan STC is easily corrupted.
the imperium shouldn't make titan i supposed

because he likes the feel of the hull against his skin :)

well DP is supposed to be so great that they don't need a medium to stay on normal space.

cheers,
:D

El_Machinae
02-09-2009, 01:11
I think it's a great idea

Coltaine
02-09-2009, 06:54
The STC AI that became a Daemon wasnt just a titan, it was essentially the father of titans. That story *Deamon Hammer*, was really captivating =)

trolly
02-09-2009, 08:19
hi,

The STC AI that became a Daemon wasnt just a titan, it was essentially the father of titans. That story *Deamon Hammer*, was really captivating =)

dark adeptus you mean?

cheers,

sharkaithegreat
02-09-2009, 08:28
Sounds cool, you should definatly make it (and post pics).

I think it would sort of mutate out of the hull, like the dreads armour has been forced out of place. Someone once did a similar thing if IIRC, exept it was an ork dread that had been mutated.

Coltaine
02-09-2009, 08:47
hi,

dark adeptus you mean?

cheers,

Opps, yes, thanks for the correction :)

Bassik
02-09-2009, 09:12
Hmm, sounds cool :)
I was looking for some time to make an interesting DP, and this is exactly what I wanted!

The_Warsmith
02-09-2009, 10:33
damn you Giganthrax you stole my idea! :p only joking, i had a similar idea of using a dreadnaught as a DP but that's because i want to re-create lord berossus' army and have a dread lead the army, then fill all elite slots with dreads as his retinue. :D

Giganthrax
02-09-2009, 12:19
Ah yes, lord Berossus actually gave me the idea. :D

The way I saw it, if a chaos lord can be a dreadnought, then surely a dreadnought can become a daemon prince.

Prolly gonna buy myself an aobr dread, and start converting. :)

ashc
02-09-2009, 12:59
It's Chaos, anything is pretty much possible.

I am all for it :)

Makiaveli
02-09-2009, 13:17
It's Chaos, anything is pretty much possible.

I am all for it :)

This was my thought. It's really up to the patron deity how you turn out isn't it? So why couldn't the metal parts just simply become parts of his new body?

ashc
02-09-2009, 13:28
Exactly, it could absorb the metal parts and become one with it just as likely as it will reject the parts and just grow new ones when it becomes a Daemon Prince. As always, the Chaos gods are fickle at best, so anything is possible :)

Bassik
02-09-2009, 20:28
Working on the model here,
body and legs of a Chaos dread, head of a Beast of Nurgle, left arm of the metal daemon prince+greenstuff+sculpted shoulder pad, right arm converted metal claw from the dread, and the banner rack of Epidemius on the back. Waiting for the greenstuff to harden so I can start painting and post pics :)

Israfael
02-09-2009, 20:36
There's a log on here where a guy used guardsmen conversions for his demon force. His demon princes were made from sentinels, it was a really impressive project.

I'll see if I can find it.

fantomex
03-09-2009, 10:59
I would safely assume that a Daemon Prince Dreadnought would be much like an even larger, even better Obliterator. After all, an amalgamation of flesh, mechanics, and daemon-stuff?

Look at all the Forgeworld bits for chaos tanks and titans where the operator melds with the machine.

Most cases in print we've seen of a character becoming a Daemon are where the character in question literally radiates power, all around them are humbled and a good bit scared, it's like drip-feeding the power into them.

Chaos Dreadnoughts are either of unsound mind or scarily sound mind. I'd figure the Daemon-Naut to be the latter.
Just make them exceedingly big.. :D

Giganthrax
03-09-2009, 12:58
@ fantomex

You just gave me an idea. I was worried how to make the dread DP's arms, and realized I could make one of his arms to look like an obliterator arm (ie. tons of different weapons sticking out of a fleshy mutated hand-thing). It wouldn't have an in-game purpose, as DPs can't carry ranged weapons at all, but it sure would look awesome. :)

Brother Valtarius
03-09-2009, 17:39
Sounds like a good idea, if converted correctly I'd put money on it looking immensely cool.

Would love to see some pictures of the finished article, good luck.

Googleness
03-09-2009, 17:52
sounds good (Wicked) to me.

Russell's teapot
04-09-2009, 09:08
@ fantomex

You just gave me an idea. I was worried how to make the dread DP's arms, and realized I could make one of his arms to look like an obliterator arm (ie. tons of different weapons sticking out of a fleshy mutated hand-thing). It wouldn't have an in-game purpose, as DPs can't carry ranged weapons at all, but it sure would look awesome. :)

But a DP can fire a psychic weapon which would count as the gun. A Tzeench GD can fire 2 weapons!

If you are moulding on weapons, that the approach I'd take. The psychic test can be fluffed away as the daemon not being fully in control yet, or maybe the dread suit being possesed by a different Daemon to the 'driver' meaning the 'driver' Daemon has to exert control over the suit...

ashc
04-09-2009, 09:36
Or the gun is controlled psychically.

Giganthrax
04-09-2009, 13:11
The problem with that is that I'm planning to have my DP be nurgle, and have warptime. I'm not really hot into the shooty stuff DPs have. They've always struck me more as close combat monsters + it's a lot more entertaining to have a massive dreadnought-DP who goes around smashing face in close combat. :D

randian
06-09-2009, 19:46
So my question is, can a dreadnought be promoted to a daemon prince, and if not, why not?
I'm sure that they can, but they won't. Why? Getting yourself interred in a dreadnought is evidence of failure, and the Chaos gods don't tolerate failure.

DeathTyrant
06-09-2009, 22:58
Khorne himself may have revived Kharn from death, so I suspect that it depends on the individual, and their worth to that God.

ashc
07-09-2009, 00:09
Khorne himself may have revived Kharn from death, so I suspect that it depends on the individual, and their worth to that God.

Yep, this would be my reasoning too as a counterpoint to the previous poster. Also, just look at Lucius the Eternal... ;)

Being dead is not a drawback when you are talking about the realms and possibilities of Chaos.

Condottiere
07-09-2009, 05:15
Resurrection is unlikely to be either painless or something that one gets used to.

randian
07-09-2009, 05:27
Resurrection is unlikely to be either painless or something that one gets used to.
In the case of Lucius, that's probably a feature.

Giganthrax
07-09-2009, 13:44
I'm sure that they can, but they won't. Why? Getting yourself interred in a dreadnought is evidence of failure, and the Chaos gods don't tolerate failure.
It doesn't work like that.

There isn't a fixed progression from worshipper > warrior > lord > daemon prince. The Chaos Gods bestow the blessing of daemonhood based on their own uncomprehendable and capricious whims.

A chaos champion who had fought for Chaos Gods his whole life might never receive so much as the smallest mutation, while someone who had never done anything of real consequence might appeal to the Chaos Gods and be given blessings and even daemonhood. Chaos Gods aren't really consistent when it comes to rewarding their servants.