PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get into a new army...

Aratus
01-09-2009, 21:19
Well Ive been playing Warhammer for over a year now and so far I have 2 complete armies for the most part. Dwarfs and Wood Elfs. Ive been looking into getting a new army because for the most part Dwarfs are starting to bore me because its been hard to get into enjoying them. Basically because I didnt really enjoy having to make a list one dimensional to win (Gunline). And Wood Elfs never seemed to fit into my play style.

So I was wondering what army to go into next. I enjoyed the toughness of the Dwarfs in combat and their ability to take a hit. But i never liked how they could never really hit back. Id rather have a small elite force over a horde army like O&G or Skaven.

The closest thing I could think of for a good play style example would be Space Marines, just an elite force that can go in kick some butt and come out the other side ready to do it agian. But im having a hard time pinning a Fantasy equivalent.

Unuhexium
01-09-2009, 22:09
Toughness of dwarves, but with hittingpower and a fair bit of versatility sounds a lot like WoC. It's almost funny you haven't mentioned them yet. They're pretty much the WHF version of space marines. You won't really find space marines in WHF in any way, but WoC are the closest. Strongest core troops in the game and a mean magic phase.

Charistoph
01-09-2009, 23:00
Add Bretonnians and Lizardmen to that list. Or a monster army from Beasts or Warriors.

Condottiere
02-09-2009, 01:19
Have you checked out this thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3912186#post3912186) on a combat heavy Dwarf army?

Dranthar
02-09-2009, 02:59
Yes, Warriors of Chaos seem like the obvious choice. Unless you go for heaps of Maraulder Infantry they tend to make for a very elite, compact army that can dish out a huge amount of pain. The negative is that they're pretty popular now (at least in my area).

The alternatives that come to mind are Lizardmen (those Saurus are very solid now) and Daemons. I wouldn't suggest the latter though, not unless you want everyone to assume that any game you win is because you took daemons rather than any skill on your behalf.

Off-the-wall ideas; A Black Orc Horde led by Grimgor? High Elves with heaps of White LionSword Guard Masters?

guillaume
02-09-2009, 08:09
Well one of the problem you have with dwarves and wood elves is that both armies are very easily 1-dimensional. Dwarves being stand and shoot, WE being move and shoot.

What you might be looking for is variety in each phase.

I would recommend lizardmen, they have very fast moving skirmishing units which can shoot (skinks, salamanders, razordons), and have very strong and steady combat units that can dish out on the charge, and off the charge (sauruses, kroxigors, cold one riders). Finally, a stegadon with the engine of the gods is a mighty magical machine on top of a terror causing combat monster...not bad.

isidril93
02-09-2009, 08:52
go woc or lizardmen...but woc would be more spot on

The Red Scourge
02-09-2009, 09:34
WoC is just the thing.

You know, you've got true power, when you can send a single hero against a fully ranked regiment and rely on him to win combat on his own :)

Tyranno1
02-09-2009, 10:15
WoC is just the thing.

You know, you've got true power, when you can send a single hero against a fully ranked regiment and rely on him to win combat on his own :)

Incorrect. As WoC have to challenge they will get stuck agianst a champ and cannot break the unit, in addition they lack any good magic items which help with unit murdering, they are all built for challenges you are not winning.

Also WoC are even more 1-dimensional than Wood Elves or Dwarves. They can only field one stratagy, charge forward and pray to your relevant god.

Lizards are extremely versatile and can field many different types of army. E.g Dino riders, Magic heavy, Infantry heavy, Skirmish heavy.

Both Lizardmen and Chaos warriors are very like space marines (lizardmen are even the same colour lol), extremely tough and powerful basic troops. The main difference is that lizardmen can field a larger variety.

orkz222
02-09-2009, 19:52
Can consider DE. Very offensive army with the 7th ed book + cool models.

Sparda
02-09-2009, 19:57
I think Ogre Kingdoms seem pretty good for a change, mobile and hard hitting in close combat. Their also Elite and very tough, with 3 wounds and T4.

The Red Scourge
02-09-2009, 22:12
Incorrect. As WoC have to challenge they will get stuck agianst a champ and cannot break the unit, in addition they lack any good magic items which help with unit murdering, they are all built for challenges you are not winning.

Also WoC are even more 1-dimensional than Wood Elves or Dwarves. They can only field one stratagy, charge forward and pray to your relevant god.

Sure not all heroes can kill a unit on their own. But take a jugger BSB with a simple warbanner, and you can rely on him generating 7-8 CR by himself whether its puny infantry or heavy cavalry. Have a nurgle sorceror somewhere behind him, and suddenly there aren't any champions to take the challenge.

Also to say that wood elves are 1-dimensional is stretching it a bit. In fact the best wood elf armies combine all phases of the game (and units in the army) in order to win. WoC are definitely more focused than most armies, but if you only rely on beating your opponent by rushing towards his line, you're quite likely to take a beating. Instead its an exercise in shielding expensive troops and sacrificing the rabble - and praying rarely works ;)

Tyranno1
02-09-2009, 23:19
Sure not all heroes can kill a unit on their own. But take a jugger BSB with a simple warbanner, and you can rely on him generating 7-8 CR by himself whether its puny infantry or heavy cavalry. Have a nurgle sorceror somewhere behind him, and suddenly there aren't any champions to take the challenge.

Also to say that wood elves are 1-dimensional is stretching it a bit. In fact the best wood elf armies combine all phases of the game (and units in the army) in order to win. WoC are definitely more focused than most armies, but if you only rely on beating your opponent by rushing towards his line, you're quite likely to take a beating. Instead its an exercise in shielding expensive troops and sacrificing the rabble - and praying rarely works ;)

Well I wasnt saying wood elves were 1-dimensional, just that WoC were alot more than they are.

I know about protecting chaos units with warhounds, it is an exercise in protecting a unit I understand that. But it is still just rushing at your opponent, I tried useing other styles with my army, but none of them seemed to work.

Also I did not know that a nurgle sorcerer could pick out a champion. I thought it was just indevidual characters they could pick out.

Zarroc
05-09-2009, 07:23
Can consider DE. Very offensive army with the 7th ed book + cool models.

Agreed, Dark Elves are an absolutely awesome army, very flexible and down right nasty :D

orcs of fire
05-09-2009, 08:28
I second ogres.