PDA

View Full Version : Alien Hunters and Death Watch

primarch16
02-09-2009, 02:16
My daemon army is close to completion and I'm considering doing a Death Watch army after them. They dont seem to have a list though, so I'll probably be using codex marines to represent them. I dont know too much about the fluff of the Death watch though, what kind of units would they use and such, could anyone point me in the right direction with a few tips and pointers etc. This army will mostly be about fluff and painting, gaming comes as a second nature to me, I do enjoy it but I'm not too fussed about winning and losing to be honest.

Anyone got any ideas?

Damage,Inc.
02-09-2009, 02:28
I'd imagine they'd load up on Sternguard Veterans as those can take the special bolter rounds like Deathwatch used to have. It would also represent their extra training. Maybe Vanguard Veterans to represent assault Marines that are pulled into the Deathwatch. I think dreads would be a no-go as I can't see any chapter loaning out their ancient technology and grumpy old heroes to the Deathwatch. Terminators... maybe, but again I can't see a lot of chapters letting their Termy armor go that easily.

So, probably just lots on infantry, Rhinos, Preds, LAnd Raiders, and more basic things like that?

primarch16
02-09-2009, 02:34
Yeah I was thinking about Sternguard, they would fit quite well, isnt there a special character that allows me to take them as Troops too? I could keep it to an all infantry force, using devastators for some heavy weapon fire support. Could also throw an inquisitor in there from the Daemon Hunter codex and model him up as an Alien Hunter. Yeah I think Dreads and Terminators are a no go.

Maybe a Librarian would be good too? Can Sternguard Deep strike at all? That could fit teleporting quite well, or am I stuck with Drop Pods?

jeffersonian000
02-09-2009, 02:36
A good model for Deathwatch is a Space Marine army with scouts for troops (counts as IST), Sternguard (counts as Kill Team), and Captain/Librarian for an HQ. Redeemers, Land Speeders, and Dreadnoughts are good fits for the rest.

SJ

primarch16
02-09-2009, 02:40
Hmm I didnt think of scouts as Inquisitorial Storm troopers, thats not a bad idea. They'd be pretty beefy Storm troopers mind :P

Damage,Inc.
02-09-2009, 02:42
Maybe you could paint your Sternguard models in "Deathwatch" colors, or give them the shoulder pads or whatever, then paint regular tactical squads up as the chapters they came from, representing Marines nearing the end of their Deathwatch tour and those just starting their "training". Also, maybe some scouts with sniper rifles? I could see a chapter loaning out some of their young-ens that have proven worthy to get some good anti-alien recon training and to help them along when they become fully fledged battle brothers.

Landspeeders, Rhinos, etc can be painted in a set "Deathwatch" theme as though the Marines show up and use the equipment then go back to their chapters again, rather than bringing everything with them.

Just some ideas.

starlight
02-09-2009, 02:47
I believe there used to be rules/background for Deathwatch Dreads, representing Marines who were interred while serving the Deathwatch as opposed to Dreads sent there.

Terminators - no problem, especially those with centuries of experience fighting Xenos. However I'd keep the numbers down (one unit) because they'd be very rare...

As mentioned Sternguard are basically Deathwatch in all but name.

You could even bring in someone like Brother-Captain Stern or Inquisitor K as Allied HQs.

Damage,Inc.
02-09-2009, 02:51
Ah, hadn't thought of that for Dreads, but there is sense to it.

primarch16
02-09-2009, 02:56
Maybe there is hope for a Dreadnaught or two then :D

I'm still a little confused as to how the Death Watch work though. I know its made up of all the different chapters in the imperium, but does the Death Watch chapter itself have a home world? And the same access to everything the other chapters get?

starlight
02-09-2009, 03:16
Basically they are sort of like other Chapters, but instead of a Tenth Company, they recruit from volunteer Marines from other Chapters. There would be no reason they *wouldn't* have all the normal gear, plus the cool Deathwatch stuff, however they are usually deployed in specific small unit actions, either in support of other Imperial forces (ie IG fight the war, Deathwatch attempt to kill the Xenos HQ) or on missions similar to Space Hulk (exterminate Xenos from a fixed area).

I believe they are usually assumed to be fleet based, but that information is unknown...

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Deathwatch

Although it's never stated anywhere, I would assume the Mentors would have links to the Deathwatch.

jeffersonian000
02-09-2009, 04:02
Deathwatch is not a chapter, but a team of Marines taking from many different chapters and trained to fight aliens in alien environments. Normally a Deathwatch team is a single squad of Marines with upgraded bolters, special ammunition, and are led by a Marine Captain or Librarian which forms a kill team. Each Marine in the kill team will come from a different chapter.

When following the pattern set by the two Ordo codecii (Daemonhunters and Witch Hunters), Ordo Xenos (Alien Hunters) should have access to an Inquisitor as well as IST units; however, Kill Teams have always been played as an HQ upgrade to a regular Space Marine force. In the current edition of the game, Sternguard have functionally the same rules as the old DW Kill Teams, Scouts are built like some really veteran Inquisitorial Storm Troops with access to dedicated transports, and any of the new Marine special characters could easily count as a hard charging Inquisitor Lord. Everything else ust falls into place.

SJ

primarch16
02-09-2009, 14:02
Ok think I get it now, cheers for the replies guys!

Dr. Hellbeast
02-09-2009, 14:09
How about including Inquisitor Solomon Lok and some D-99 Elysians?

You could even use the army list in FW's Anphelion book with some Deathwatch Sternguard in place of the Red Scorps.

Someone, please correct me on anything I've got wrong.

jams86
02-09-2009, 14:49
IIRC SM scouts can take a HB with hellfire rounds, which i believe are nid killers

primarch16
02-09-2009, 15:35
I'm on the line with the modelling at the moment... should I leave robes and purity seals at home in favour of more equipment packs and grenades? That would make them look more of an elite strike team, covert kind of. Or do you think this would leave them looking a little plain and boring? I'm planning on getting the DW kill team set from the GW website (its a little pricy but you get some nice bits with it, and the shoulder pads and bolters will come in handy).

Just wondering which special character lets me take Sterngaurd as Troops? I think this would really help me in objective missions (would also be more fluffy in a way, the Death watch taking the objectives)

Dr. Hellbeast
02-09-2009, 15:40
Just wondering which special character lets me take Sterngaurd as Troops? I think this would really help me in objective missions (would also be more fluffy in a way, the Death watch taking the objectives)

Pedro Kantor.

HsojVvad
02-09-2009, 15:43
Here try this link hope it works. Just do a google search and see if you get more.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Deathwatch

Also all DW SM are painted Black with the shoulder pad (forget wich one) is of the home chapter. I beleive someone mentioned paint the troops chapter colours is wrong. Please correct me if I am wrong, but they all should be painted black except shoulder pad. That would be all units of DW.

jams86
02-09-2009, 15:47
DW marines have an =][= pad on the left and their home chapter on the right. their left arm is also metal

Dr.Clock
02-09-2009, 16:26
There are two different ways you could go about this, methinks.

1: Just use the SM list and paint your sternguard and one HQ up as Deathwatch

2: Use the Allies rules to use WH or DH rules alongside the SM codex. This would allow the inclusion of ISTs etc.

If you are going for a whole SM list, I think a scout-themed list would be interesting. I run a scout-heavy list myself and it is a pleasure to play with. I have chosen not to take any vehicles, although I am considering a couple Lanspeeder Storms.

I think it is important to focus on a theme other than simply 'deathwatch' to make this list stand out. Otherwise, it is going to turn out as space marines with black sternguard.

I would also check out the Badab war book from Bell of Lost Souls. I've been considering making use of their Star Phantoms rules to get my Tacticals infiltrating with my scouts - but the Mantis Warriors have some great rules as well for infantry-focussed marine lists.

Scouts as ISTs isn't a bad idea either.

I always thought of the Ordo Xenos as the more progressive, pragmatic and techy Ordo. For modelling, I would definitely aim for a sort of covert-ops look, with tonnes of scanners, extra kit etc. A few xeno trophies wouldn't be out of place either. My DIY chapter have a penchant for pillaging ork blades and shoulder-pads - they look a little feral as a result.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Kurisu313
02-09-2009, 16:35

There isn't one. Sternguard are made scoring by Pedro Kantor, but not troops.

primarch16
02-09-2009, 17:36
Ah I see, could still be quite handy. Hmm so maybe for a list I'd be looking at:

Pedro Cantor (counts as captain) or Librarian for HQ (Maybe both :cool:)
x2 Squads of Sterngaurd (Death Watch)
x3 Scout squads (Storm Troopers)
x1\2 Squads of Devastators (Death Watch with heavy weapons)

The other option would be to go with an inquisition codex with SM allies

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor as HQ
I'm not sure if I can take Sterngaurd as allies in any of the inquisition codexes, can anyone clarify this?
Then Storm troopers for my troops. Few chimeras and rhinos maybe.

Which do you think would work best on the field?

starlight
02-09-2009, 17:54
The Marines (including Sternguard/Deathwatch) would have to be the parent list, then Ally the Ordo units in...

Dr.Clock
02-09-2009, 18:00
The inquisitor codecies allow the use of a limited number of SM elite units. I believe it is two, but it may also be linked to the number of allied troop selections you take.

The allies rule goes both ways as well. There is no reason why you couldn't simply take a couple IST units and an inquisitor in a SM army.

The list you have is pretty decent. Devs are very useful - full squads combat squadding to split fire is great.

I will simply note that tacticals help you hold the line together. I think 2 tacs, 2 scouts, 2 sternguard and 1 devs would be better than the 3 scout option. Tacs are a good place to get lascannons on the cheap. I pair 2 las combat squads with a dev las combat squad to get 4 las that can fire at three targets.

I think just using them as scouts instead of ISTs would be totally fine... as long as the majority of the units are from their chapter. I just don't see scouts operating alone with a Deathwatch deployment.

I'd probably start with a SM army and work up to an allied Inq and IST retinue: that would allow you to add in an armoured element - ISTs and inq. in Chimeras perhaps?

Infantry SM lists suffer from a lack of mobility. Siezing objectives gets quite hard without pods, jump-troops or rhinos. You might consider mounting up one tac and one sternguard unit...

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

starlight
02-09-2009, 18:22
Sorry, not so much on the rules going both ways. The Marine units that can join Inquisitor armies are specifically named...and none of the new units existed when the WH/DH books were written... No Sternguard Allied Marines. :(

The only way to get both is for the Marines to be the parent list.

Temprus
02-09-2009, 22:22
Vanguard also do a good job of representing Deathwatch that are more assault orientated.