PDA

View Full Version : Skaven, OH NO.

Tokugawa100
02-09-2009, 02:58
Hi all I just bought this months White Dwarf and in a tiny square they show 3 new clan rats. Yes they are well made, they are new and shiny but I dont like the new look.
Their noses are stubs, not very rat like.
I cant put my finger on it but im not liking them so far, cant wait to see what the other models look like.
Seriously, Skaven are one of my favorites.
Anyone else seen them and felt the same.
I know tonnes of people will probably disagree with me:D

nosferatu1001
02-09-2009, 03:34
I'm one of them :D

The new clan rats are amazing - gone are the monkey (ill defined) hands and feet and back are the disturbing part rat part human things they should have always been. The new models really capture the disturbing feel of skaven!

The champion especially is a great mini, full of character...

Agoz
02-09-2009, 04:37
I'm not blown away by them, but they are certainly an improvement over the old clanrats. I'll reserve my judgement until I see them first hand.

Alathir
02-09-2009, 05:45
From the three models we have seen of the new Clanrats, I have to say I freaking love them. I play High Elves and Bretonnians and I've always considered Skaven to be my least favourite race in the warhammer world... but from everything thing I've heard and seen so far, I am really excited for the new book! I'll buy it and if I can do the things I want to then I'll probably end up collecting them. So yes, I disagree with you wholeheartedly.

I don't know how you can honestly say the current Clanrat models are better than what we've seen of the new ones. The old ones are just goblins with different heads and tails - and are damn muscly for some reason. The new ones epitomize Skaven with their weediness.

My advice is to wait it out and see the release in its entirety before you start threads called 'Skaven, OH NO.'

loveless
02-09-2009, 05:48
I love the few pics we've seen of the new Skaven. My advice to you, if you don't like the new ones, is to go out and buy up boxes of the current ones while they're available.

Plus, the faster the monkey rats get off the shelves, the faster my eyes stop burning when I'm browsing the shop :p

Bregalad
02-09-2009, 09:20
I like the look and it is not new, it is just close to the original sculpts and the current concepts. As I hated the monkey faced, ugly and impractical current clan rats, this is a major improvement that makes me finish my Skaven army.

Rubicon
02-09-2009, 09:27
The old clanrats were one of the oldest regiment boxes and thankfully their time is now passed. I like the new models, but not enough to start a skaven army.

The Red Scourge
02-09-2009, 09:29
Yup they look great, and I just might end up doing that skaven army I've dreamed about for years.. :D

-Grimgorironhide-
02-09-2009, 09:31
I am really loving the new ones. I just bought one last box of the old ones really out of symphey for the poor buggers and really to get as many of the extra bits (I.e standards and things)as I can before they are discontinued.

I can't wait to see pics of the new ones fully ranked up.

cheers.

bork da basher
02-09-2009, 09:53
i suffered the old clan rats but i just dont like the new ones at all. not very ratlike and unless they do the whole range in this style they just stand out too much for my tastes. i was considering a new skaven army but this has put me off. not that i need another army.

mrtn
02-09-2009, 09:58
I'm cautiously optimistic about them. They're better than the smeg we have now, at least.

Ultimate Life Form
02-09-2009, 10:03
I find it curious how people base their decision of doing an army or no solely on a single box of models. I've never heard of something like that before.

Chances are, the mainstay rule is gone anyway and you'll get along without having to field even a single Clanrat.

Dungeon_Lawyer
02-09-2009, 10:55
i like them and find them an improvment over the old ones-which lack "pop"

Tokugawa100
02-09-2009, 12:57
I don't know how you can honestly say the current Clanrat models are better than what we've seen of the new ones. The old ones are just goblins with different heads and tails - and are damn muscly for some reason. The new ones epitomize Skaven with their weediness.

My advice is to wait it out and see the release in its entirety before you start threads called 'Skaven, OH NO.'

Yeah, I know.
But I just want to say, I never said I thought the old models were better, I just was a little dissapointed in how the new ones look.
They are an improvement but they dont fit how I saw the Skaven.
Thats all:cool:

Tokugawa100
02-09-2009, 12:58
I find it curious how people base their decision of doing an army or no solely on a single box of models. I've never heard of something like that before.

Chances are, the mainstay rule is gone anyway and you'll get along without having to field even a single Clanrat.

Heh,
I never said I wouldnt collect them:D
I LOOOVE SKAVEN.
Cant wait to see what the other models look like.

Bregalad
02-09-2009, 17:09

A Skaven army just needs at least 2-3 regiments of 25 clan rats, that is 75+ clan rats. So I won't buy, assemble and paint 75+ models I utterly hate and that dominate the look of the whole army in their uglyness.

BTW I also bought 2 Gamezone Dark Elf metal warrior regiments just to avoid the ugly DE plastic warriors.

loveless
02-09-2009, 17:19

Well, the single box in question made up a large portion of the army you want to field, it gets a bit daunting to have to go through so many undesirable miniatures as you paint.

I would have started Skaven up a few years ago - like I had planned - had it not been for the monkey-rats. I tested a few lists out and had great fun, but I knew I wouldn't be able to stand fielding those abominations.

See, I like my armies to look aesthetically pleasing. This has the side-effect of making them...not always the most effective, but still fun. You can dodge this with a lot of armies, as they have multiple core boxes based on different sculpts. Skaven don't (or didn't, as the case may be). You had to take Clanrats, which means you had to field monkey-rats. Ultimately, it wasn't worth the trouble of building an army where I'd hate how half of my miniatures looked, regardless of the paintjob.

GW's slowly phasing out their "crappy" model kits, which opens up more and more avenues. Luckily, the monkey-rats are going far away, meaning that I should be able to finally pick up a Skaven army I could be proud to field :p

Phoenix Blaze
02-09-2009, 18:17
!!!!!!!

Ooooooh! These look amazing! Good enough for me to dig out my old (and beloved) Skaven horde and start all over again! These are what clanrats should be!

Dammit! I was just thinking that I'd like to start up a Druchii force and now these roll along......

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
02-09-2009, 18:46
I love them! Ten years ago, I wandered in the Games Workshop store at Carousel Mall in Syracuse, NY, and fell in love with the Skaven. I bought a box of Clanrats, assembled and painted 2, and then went off to college and forgot about them.

Fast forward to 2003, a young US Marine with some time on his hands finds out that a friend was a big 40K player in high school, so he buys The Battle for Macragge starter set and begins his true fanatical relationship with Games Workshop...

2006, I get back from California after leaving the Marines and still want to play Warhammer, but my friend only likes fantasy. I have a bunch of Orcs and Goblins stuff and buy The Battle for Skull Pass to start him off with Dwarfs. I keep an eye on the Skaven, but their ugly Clanrats keep me away. I still buy the armybook, some of the new plaguemonks, and awesome Rat Ogres...

And now, today, I finally feel that I will be able to start the Skaven army I have always wanted. I am selling off a bunch of my Warhammer stock just so I'll be able to splurge come November.

WOOHOO!

Also, here are the pictures.

Sarah S
02-09-2009, 19:01
Hi all I just bought this months White Dwarf and in a tiny square they show 3 new clan rats. Yes they are well made, they are new and shiny but I dont like the new look.
Their noses are stubs, not very rat like.
I cant put my finger on it but im not liking them so far, cant wait to see what the other models look like.
Seriously, Skaven are one of my favorites.
Anyone else seen them and felt the same.

Too bad I guess?

You can't argue preference.

orkz222
02-09-2009, 19:41

I'm one of them :) thank the OLD ONES for the new clan rats. Buying at least 5 boxes of them, plastic SW, new wep teams, doomwheel thing, tunneling mutant rats... so much to buy :cries:

N810
02-09-2009, 19:47
I think the main problem is the awkward camera angle,
and a kinda funky paint job on the middle Skaven.

Alderhan
03-09-2009, 08:52
I like them. More grimdark, less of the cartoony look of the current ones.

Freman Bloodglaive
03-09-2009, 10:41
One of the guys at the local GW was discussing Skaven with me and he observed that it really makes no sense that Empire don't believe in them, after all just look at what they do believe in.

Elves: near immortal masters of magic
Dwarves: stunted delvers of the deep
Orcs: mean and green
Goblins: green but more vicious than mean
Lizardmen: walking alligators
Vampires: bloodsucking leeches
Undead: animated corpses
Daemons: horrors from the north
Beastmen: goat's heads on men's bodies

...a Rat that walks like a Man? No way, couldn't happen, completely imaginary.

JoV
03-09-2009, 10:46
My first response on seeing those piccies was to ponder starting a skaven army, so...guess thats what GW is aiming for :p

Think thet look great, far more upright and man-like. A vast improvement imo

Darth Alec
03-09-2009, 14:04
One of the guys at the local GW was discussing Skaven with me and he observed that it really makes no sense that Empire don't believe in them, after all just look at what they do believe in.

Most humans doubt everything from Goblins and down, if only because they must ;)

Condottiere
04-09-2009, 12:26
Since they didn't have cameras in those days, any demand for pix or it didn't happen, can only end one way.

gorenut
04-09-2009, 16:58
The new models have definitely gotten me contemplating a small force of Skaven. I want to paint them up to look like lab mice.

Baggers
04-09-2009, 17:03
They've grown on me. I think its more the colour scheme than the models themselves.

Ertle
04-09-2009, 17:34
Oh sweet jesus....I'm gonna need a new pair of pants. Finally awesome clanrat models.

O&G'sRule
04-09-2009, 20:47
They certainly don't inspire me to want to do the army, but the new models look good enough. They are more "ratmen" now that just large rats which is probably right, fluff wise

Urgat
04-09-2009, 20:58

It's explained pretty well in one of the Gotrek books: it's not that they don't believe in them, it's because the higher ups deny their existence, even though they know fairly well Skavens exist. And they do so because people would freak out a lot more if they new there was an evil civilisation plotting their destruction right under their feet, in their own sewers, than they would because they heard there were some greenkins in the field a few days walk away. In manslayer, Felix is quite surprised to hear that the skaven invasion of Nuln has become, after a dozen years, a beastmen invasion.

HereticLosMorte
04-09-2009, 21:00
I love them! Ten years ago, I wandered in the Games Workshop store at Carousel Mall in Syracuse, NY, and fell in love with the Skaven. I bought a box of Clanrats, assembled and painted 2, and then went off to college and forgot about them.

Fast forward to 2003, a young US Marine with some time on his hands finds out that a friend was a big 40K player in high school, so he buys The Battle for Macragge starter set and begins his true fanatical relationship with Games Workshop...

2006, I get back from California after leaving the Marines and still want to play Warhammer, but my friend only likes fantasy. I have a bunch of Orcs and Goblins stuff and buy The Battle for Skull Pass to start him off with Dwarfs. I keep an eye on the Skaven, but their ugly Clanrats keep me away. I still buy the armybook, some of the new plaguemonks, and awesome Rat Ogres...

And now, today, I finally feel that I will be able to start the Skaven army I have always wanted. I am selling off a bunch of my Warhammer stock just so I'll be able to splurge come November.

WOOHOO!

Also, here are the pictures.

i actually kinda like them. not what i was fully expecting. damn gw, making me now debate a skaven army.

and thank you S U V for the pic link! my white dwarf has not arrived yet, so i've been curious as to what everyone was seeing!

Freman Bloodglaive
04-09-2009, 22:43
It's explained pretty well in one of the Gotrek books: it's not that they don't believe in them, it's because the higher ups deny their existence, even though they know fairly well Skavens exist. And they do so because people would freak out a lot more if they new there was an evil civilisation plotting their destruction right under their feet, in their own sewers, than they would because they heard there were some greenkins in the field a few days walk away. In manslayer, Felix is quite surprised to hear that the skaven invasion of Nuln has become, after a dozen years, a beastmen invasion.

It was also interesting that after twenty years of adventuring with Gotrek people were commenting that Felix hadn't seemed to have aged in that time. Perhaps the dwarf gods are preserving Felix to witness Gotrek's great doom. (the way he's going that's going to be something like slaying a Chaos god) Godslayer. What a great title for a book.

NecroMaster
05-09-2009, 02:52
Honestly, I was a little disappointed when I saw the new clanrats. I'm still going to buy some however just because I love my little ratmen.:D

I cant wait until the StormVermin come out. Plastic stormvermin...(dreamy sigh) That's a dream come true. I dont care what GW does to the Skaven. They will always be at the top of my list. Next to VC's of course.

Zarroc
05-09-2009, 07:34
I think the new clan rats look sweet, i have already packed my monkey rats away as i plan on buying 5 boxes of the new ones as soon as i can

New skaven are going to be great

Brother J
05-09-2009, 07:56
The new models have definitely gotten me contemplating a small force of Skaven. I want to paint them up to look like lab mice.

HA! Sorry, the thought hadn't crossed my mind to do that and it seemed a great idea..

I like the new skaven clanrats. The older ones were the main reason I never got into them. That and being a WoC(HoC) player in my early teens I couldn't get over the initial shock of going from heavily armoured troops that just seem like walking tanks, to little guys with really no staying power aside from mass numbers. Anyways, the new models and some maturing has really got me wanting to start a Skaven force, or even a small Vampire Counts army, but probably Skaven.

destroyerlord
05-09-2009, 11:26
They are far from perfect, but such an incredible improvement on the current models I would never complain. I was never a fan of the single piece torso/legs models, mostly because they all have the same pose and tend to look a bit 'stiff'. The actual sculpting is fantastic though, it looks like there will be a lot of variety in the models.

sulla
05-09-2009, 21:18

Ratmen, the empire would have no problem believing in. Just another chaos mutation. But a powerful, secret underempire beneath each city and with technology that rival that of the empire? Preposterous!!!:evilgrin:

Dai-Mongar
06-09-2009, 10:08
I think I'll end up getting at least a single box of the new clanrats, for dungeon crawling if nothing else.
At first I was surprised by them, they look quite different to any other Skaven that have been done before. But I think I'll get used to them once I get a close-up look, the same thing happened when the new Orks came out (for 3rd edition 40k).

Freman Bloodglaive
06-09-2009, 11:34
I hope we'll still be able to get the reboxed Mordheim models (Night Runners) I like those models. It's the same as the Empire militia box. So many options.

TheSil
06-09-2009, 16:05
my major complaint about these three new ones is that they have too much clothes on for my tastes
the left one looks too much like clan pestilens, the right one a bit like a roman foot soldier and the middle one is also pretty dressed up
I miss the feral look, they seem too civilised for me... I'd prefer savage undressed beasts to a parody of empire townsfolk with noses
also their body posture seems a bit odd

despite not being like I imagined them I would say they still seem like a definite improvement over the old ones and I will happily buy a few regiments to bolster my skaven ranks (even though they are not one of my favourite armies)

mbh1127
06-09-2009, 19:07

This idea has always bothered me. I am reading the WHFRP skaven book and it drives me nuts that they spend so much time on the concept that people in the Empire don't think Skaven exist. I find that hard to understand in a fantasy world that contains creatures like orks, trolls, giants, dragons, and so man other stranger things.

never seemed right to me.

my major complaint about these three new ones is that they have too much clothes on for my tastes
the left one looks too much like clan pestilens, the right one a bit like a roman foot soldier and the middle one is also pretty dressed up
I miss the feral look, they seem to civilised for me... I'd prefer savage undressed beasts to a parody of empire townsfolk with noses
also their body posture seems a bit odd

despite not being like I imagined them I would say they still seem like a definite improvement over the old ones and I will happily buy a few regiments to bolster my skaven ranks (even though they are not one of my favourite armies)

The older 3rd and 4th edition rats had as much clothing as these new guys. They do look a little more civilised though. The posture seems to reflect the current fluff that says skaven are as tall as humans but ver hunched over when they walk.

I can't bash these new rats just for the fact that they are so much better than any of the older plastics that skaven have had in the past.

ryszard
06-09-2009, 21:11
I have to agree withe TheSil. I will however await final judgement until I have seen some more. Unfortunately I am a GW beatch and will end up re-doing my Skaven as they are new and shiny.

Vishok
06-09-2009, 21:41
Just from seeing those, I can say I prefer the new box to the old.

It usually goes like that.

Oh well, now there are good looking clanrats to go with some of the other really cool skaven models, like the warlords.

I guess I'll have to shell out 300 bux or so for a 1000 pt list...but oh well. At least I will have cool lookin' skaven!