PDA

View Full Version : Stupidity and Riders

Darchangel
02-09-2009, 05:17
Okay, so I've been using my Cold One Knights a little screwy. I've been under the impression that if a stupid unit becomes immune to psychology, they are no longer stupid. The opposite is actually true: in the main rulebook, it states that stupid units are immune to psychology ('cause they're dim and unaware), and the immunity does not affect the stupidity at all.

So my question is this: if a provision for stupid mounts on not-so-stupid riders states that they must still test, but on the leadership of the rider, and furthermore because psychology is shared between mounts and riders now, are Cold One Knights naturally immune to psychology?

Necromancy Black
02-09-2009, 05:25
Characteristic tests
___________|_________
| |
| |
Leadership* others
______|_______
| | |
| | |
Break* Rally* Psychology*
__________|____________
| | | |
| | | |
Fear* Terror* Stupidity* ~Panic*

* indicates Cold Blooded may be used.

~ is for Will of Chaos.

Immune to Psychology affects only the parts above that are highlighted in red. So as you can see, Immune to Psychology ahs no affect what so ever on Stupidity.

Secondly, Stupidity does not grant the unit Immune to Psychology. They are only Immune to Psychology if they fail a stupidity test.

If they pass the stupidity test, or are in close combat, they are not immune to psychology.

So, to answer your question, neither the saurus or the cold ones are immune to psychology. If they fail a stupidity test they are both affected, meaning they would gain immune to psychology until the next stupidity test or they enter close combat.

eyescrossed
02-09-2009, 05:35
He said Cold One Knights, not Cavalry. So Dark Elves, not Saurus.

Necromancy Black
02-09-2009, 05:38
meh, swap saurus for elves and it's exactly the same.

chaospantz
02-09-2009, 06:03
My understanding of Cold one knight stupidity is that at the start of the turn(that they are not in combat) you make your stupidity roll. If you fail they become stupid, so they move forward at half speed and become immune to psycology. There stupidity last untill the start of the next turn when they roll to see if they become stupid again. So immune to psycology only takes effect after you have failed your stupid roll. If you pass your test then your not stupid and not immune to psycology.

Part of being immune to psycology is that you can't choose to flee as a charge reaction. In the cold one knights case its supposed to represent that the riders lost controll, the Cold Ones went stupid and wandered forward and are to dumb to listen to there masters commands to flee when they get charged.

As far as the riders go I imagin that if the unit goes stupid and wanders forward then the hole unit will become immune to psycology till the start of your next turn. The main point is that I dont think that the unit is immune to psycology unless you fail your stupidity roll.

Necromancy Black
02-09-2009, 06:14
Also remember that the affects of being stupid stop the moment you become engaged in close combat.

So if you fail your psychology test and move forward enough to charge a unit, or that unit gets charged in the opponents turn, they'll stop being stupid and also stop be immune to psychology.

Remember that a unit isn't place into base to base contact until after charge reactions and tests made when charging. So a unit that failed it's stupidity test still can't flee if they are charged as they are still Immune to Psychology until the chargers are actually moved.

Likewise, if they fail and move forward into contact with a terror causing unit, they won't have to make a fear/terror test as they are still Immune to Psychology until they come into base to base contact which is after said tests are made.

Darchangel
02-09-2009, 16:53
I see.. that makes sense. So they are subject to psychology, and being immune to psychology does not nullify stupidity, and if they fail their test, they *become* immune to psychology, with everything that comes with that.

One follow up question: They can use the general's leadership for those tests, right..? It should be obvious, but the rule as written states that the mounts use the rider's leadership. Does the rider borrowing the general's leadership before the mount borrows the rider's leadership make sense?

nosferatu1001
02-09-2009, 17:00
Yes they can use the generals leadership, as you can do so for any leadership test the unit is requried to take.

Sarah S
02-09-2009, 17:28
Necromancy Black, that's a great diagram. I love it.

Necromancy Black
02-09-2009, 22:38
Necromancy Black, that's a great diagram. I love it.

I posted it in the Frequently Ask Questions sticky at the top of this forum if you ever need to find.