PDA

View Full Version : Which army is more contrasting from Lizardmen?

gorenut
02-09-2009, 06:19
Vampire Counts or Skaven?

I need to minimize. Which of the two you folks would consider more contrasting (fluff and rules) of Lizardmen?

Condottiere
02-09-2009, 09:11
All three have similarities.

Powerful magic, mobile warmachines (Bell, steg, Cart), hordes and hard infantry and elite cavalry. Well, Skaven don't have cavalry, at this moment, but have WLC, Ratling gun and Jezzails.

Lord Khabal
02-09-2009, 09:14
Vampire counts because they are dead. :)

The Red Scourge
02-09-2009, 09:26
Both VC and lizzards got heavy cavalry and horribly expensive characters, and their magic is primarily supportive in nature, and their tactics are pretty straightforward without too many surprises and their armies are reliable.

While skaven are cheap, cowardly and filled with nasty surprises :)

Gaargod
02-09-2009, 13:22
Skaven definitely contrast more with Lizardmen. Lizardmen shooting is close ranged and reliable, whereas Skaven is more reliant on long range stuff. Lizardmen have rock solid combat troops with high reliability, whereas skaven... don't.

Plus, they're very much rivals in the fluff. Scheming, plotting and politicing for the rats opposed to the whole Plan of the Old Ones and serving their masters for the lizards.

Edit: 500th Post :)

Bac5665
02-09-2009, 16:41
Both are magic + Infantry block armies. Brets or Wood elves would be a much bigger change of pace away from lizards.

gorenut
02-09-2009, 17:41
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I had a feeling VC might be more similar.. seeing how it has dependable blocks of infantry.. and a lot of magic. Both also seem to deal well in the psychology department (one causing it).

Truth be told.. I've never had any experience with Skaven, never even seen anyone with a Skaven army in my area.. which is why I brought up this topic. After seeing the sneak peak of new clan rats.. I'm very tempted to get a 1k force of them - which leads me to my next question.. I know a lot can change in the new book, but how well do they operate in games of 1k. I already kind of know how VC fare.. and people seem to have mixed feelings about them - 1 party saying they're finally balanced at games less than 2k, others thinking they're totally crippled without a lord lvl vampire.

Tokamak
02-09-2009, 19:19
Skaven definitely contrast more with Lizardmen. Lizardmen shooting is close ranged and reliable, whereas Skaven is more reliant on long range stuff. Lizardmen have rock solid combat troops with high reliability, whereas skaven... don't.

Plus, they're very much rivals in the fluff. Scheming, plotting and politicing for the rats opposed to the whole Plan of the Old Ones and serving their masters for the lizards.

Edit: 500th Post :)

They're still rat-men and lizard-men though.

N810
02-09-2009, 19:25
Skaven are their traditional enemies...
they are similar... in an oposite sort of way. ;)

Desert Rain
02-09-2009, 19:32
I would sat the Skave, lizardmen are a compact elite list with expensive and powerful characters. Skaven on the other hand is a horde list with lots of cheap troops that are only dangerous in large amounts. Most of their characters are pretty weak and inexpensive.

orkz222
02-09-2009, 19:48
skaven
Game play:
LM more of tough elite troops, good LD, good ar sv, small-med size army.

rats mass horde of poor LD and weak h2h atks, paper ar sv.

skaven also getting their 7th ed book on nov including tons of new models :D

Witchblade
03-09-2009, 04:05
skaven
Game play:
LM more of tough elite troops, good LD, good ar sv, small-med size army.

rats mass horde of poor LD and weak h2h atks, paper ar sv.

skaven also getting their 7th ed book on nov including tons of new models :D
After deciphering this post I concluded I agree with it.

gorenut
04-09-2009, 04:56
Both are magic + Infantry block armies. Brets or Wood elves would be a much bigger change of pace away from lizards.

Unfortunately already got a WE player. Brets, I've already tried em out 6th ed (I know their book is still in 6th ed) and got bored of em quick.

I think I'm leaning more towards Skaven right now.. something about Vampires have just lost their appeal to me.. maybe its just overexposure (both amongst the players and in pop culture).

Another option I've been tinkering with are Ogre Kingdoms.

So between Vamps, Skaven, and OK.. which you think would be most fun in games of 1k?