PDA

View Full Version : where you live, is Warhammer considered geeky?

MontytheMighty
02-09-2009, 06:28
I really like the Warhammer fluff (both 40k and fantasy). I'm less familiar with the table top game but I have watched a couple of battle reports on youtube and flipped through a codex or two...and the table top game looks really fun, I would definitely give it a shot if time and money allows in the future.

I am curious though, I'd like to ask the forum members here, what is the status of the Warhammer game where you live? Is it considered a really nerdy/geeky past time (or is this more of an American attitude that any activity that involves a bit of thinking is for geeks, and if it involves gluing models and painting them, my god only a huge nerd would do such a thing)?
Do a lot of the people you meet who play Warhammer actually fit the nerd/weirdo stereotype, and about how old are most of them?

Hicks
02-09-2009, 06:31
It is a geeky hobby here too. I would say that people who go to the FLGS regularly really fit the stereothypical nerd/gamer archetype from what I've experienced, while people who host games at home really don't.

Ironmonger
02-09-2009, 06:33
From most of my experiance in the UK, it's considered SOMEWHAT less 'geeky' there, mainly due to the population of older, committed gamers. At know at Cardiff when I was there, there were a number of us that you'd never really think of as 'geeky' (until we talked), or even 'into' WH.:p

darker4308
02-09-2009, 06:33
It makes you a complete loser. In all seriousness, some guys in my group have girlfriends - the majority do not. That is really the best metric.

Troah
02-09-2009, 06:37
If the people in my crappy small town of 20 people found out I played Warhammer, I would be strung up and beaten to death.

MontytheMighty
02-09-2009, 06:46
From most of my experiance in the UK, it's considered SOMEWHAT less 'geeky' there, mainly due to the population of older, committed gamers. At know at Cardiff when I was there, there were a number of us that you'd never really think of as 'geeky' (until we talked), or even 'into' WH.:p

I used to live in South Africa and I remember there it wasn't really considered geeky, I think in the U.S. people seem to equate Warhammer players with those people who wait outside cinemas dressed up as starwars characters, I realize that every hobby is going to have its super nerds (I was just kinda wondering what the rough proportion in the Warhammer fanbase is)

Sir_Lunchalot
02-09-2009, 07:09
Honestly, I don't see how it could not be considered geeky - it's grown men (at least in my group) playing with toy soldiers.

hellhammer6
02-09-2009, 07:15
Geeky isn't what it used to be...
Look at the movie successes lately> comic books, lord of the rings, etc...
Also look at the money that Blizzard is making off of WOW.

And women are starting to "trade in" their a##hole football boyfriends for someone more stable with a good job.

"Geeks" are starting to rule the world. I wouldn't worry about it.

Damage,Inc.
02-09-2009, 07:15
Well, it is sort of geeky but as everything else in life, it is how what you make of it.

I've been playing off and on for over 15 years now in the US and Canada, including RT tourneys, GTs, and other events. For me, this is a fun hobby. Playing is fun, but the downtime where I convert models, write lists, and enjoy the fluff are some of the best aspects.

There is a large portion of the wargaming crowd that is considered 'geeky'. Most things involving fantasy attract that sort of person, be it Star Trek, Star Wars, or Chess.

As people grow older they tend not to care as much what others think. I'm 29 and this is a hobby I enjoy- I don't really care what other people might see it as. As well as 40K I've been in the military, gone to college, and enjoy hiking, weightlifting, drinking, and football. To me, this is just another aspect of what I do for recreation, with the added benefit of being more cerebral at times than TV.

So forget about what others think or say- do what makes you happy. If you love the fluff, enjoy the models, and find the tactical game interesting, then go do it. If you don't like being around the more 'geeky' crowd then invite your friends to play more personal games at houses or whereever. I personally don't enjoy playing against children anymore so I make sure to arrange more adult games with other friends. To make sure there is a lot of interesting and good terrain where we play, I bring pieces I've made myself. This is definately a hobby where a little bit of personal investment can go a long way.

Jackmojo
02-09-2009, 07:19
Yes, but unless you're a teenager that really doesn't matter to anyone.

Damage said it more fully, but I'll second his most of his points.

Plus once you get older girls love geeks (hell my wife is great and gorgeous and she even knows how to answer the question asked of Conan "what's best in life?" without any prompting).

Jack

Revlid
02-09-2009, 07:23
Geeky isn't what it used to be...
Look at the movie successes lately> comic books, lord of the rings, etc...
Also look at the money that Blizzard is making off of WOW.

And women are starting to "trade in" their a##hole football boyfriends for someone more stable with a good job.

Well, sure, but there's geeky and then there's geeky. Computer culture, video games and comics are becoming more mainstream, but D&D is still as socially unacceptable as ever.

Geeks have gone as far into the mainstream as they're likely to. Footballer boyfriends aren't going anywhere.

Schmapdi
02-09-2009, 07:43
Its one of those things - I don't think its inherently geeky to model/paint/play a boardgame but its one of those things that only geeks do, so it becomes geeky, if that makes sense.

Like if tomorrow a bunch of skinny guys with glasses and a fat guys with neckbeards started surfing in mass and becoming all obsessive about it, surfing would become considered "geeky."

Lothlanathorian
02-09-2009, 08:00
Well, I don't think the neckbeards would be out surfing. 'Geeky' things are generally those that require less physical ability as those who aren't as physically able are the ones who (stereotypically) do them.

You picture a kid in glasses with asthma and you don't picture him playing football or soccer (that's right, in football, you throw the ball. Deal with it), you picture him doing his homework, reading or playing some 'nerdy/geeky' game.

Then again, I enjoy it when people don't think you would 'be the type' for something 'so nerdy'.

Schmapdi
02-09-2009, 08:14
That's my point - you picture them doing that stuff because that's what you see them doing. If they were all surfing, or carrying around surfboards, or talking about waves cresting all the time, then when you'd think about surfing you'd think about all the nerds surfing and so you'd consider it geeky.

Thanks to a show called Good Eats (hosted by certifiable geek Alton Brown) cooking has become sort of chique in geek circles, and I now know a half dozen or so geeky cooks. In ten more years cooking might become a geeky thing to do.

*Or more to the point - look at how videogames have changed the last decade. Used to be considered soley the province of frail nerds, now they've become very mainstream, and thanks to the Wii even a bit overexposed.

HunterSkunter
02-09-2009, 08:18
Its geeky, nerdy, all of the above, nothing wrong with that. People need to get over the fact that they are looked at as "nerds" or "geeks". Duh. We play games well into our adult years and hang out at comic/game shops, what do you expect?

Lothlanathorian
02-09-2009, 08:28
That's my point - you picture them doing that stuff because that's what you see them doing. If they were all surfing, or carrying around surfboards, or talking about waves cresting all the time, then when you'd think about surfing you'd think about all the nerds surfing and so you'd consider it geeky.

*slaps self in forehead* Duh moment lol. I kinda lost track of where I was going. Also a bit ADD lol.

I can't seem to think of how to say what I was trying to say, but it involved the 'geeks' inability to do other things and, therefore doing the things they do, which are then associate with being 'for geeks'. So, it isn't that Warhammer is 'nerdy/geeky', it is just associated with those people. I don't know, there is a thought, it is in my head and I can not, for the life of me, seem to be able to articulate it.

Around here, though, it wasn't very heavily thought of as 'geeky'. Then again, when I was in high school, it seems to me it was much more open minded and tolerant.

sigur
02-09-2009, 08:30
Sure, it IS geeky. In the US and when you're of a certain age (i.e. thrown together into a huge building with masses of peers that hate each other each and every day) it may be a bit more of a problem but whatever. Sure, it's more geeky than all the video games stuff because you have to be more committed. Thing is, you don't have to have a list of what you do at home around on your forehead (unless that was part of the latest home security act). Just don't run around telling everyone what you do when they ask you. Just say that you play computer games, people are okay with that nowadays. But then I've always been shameful about this thing, maybe people of character deal with it just fine.

Just in recent years, I started telling a few people who aren't part of my group of gaming pals and there's only one person who occationally gives me the occational ribbing because of it, but that's all just fun.

They do for quite a while now. Unfortunately nobody has told the wimminfolks yet. :p

kormas
02-09-2009, 08:34
it can REALLY vary for the geek factor. put it this way, everyone in my yeargroup knows i play warhammer, but the fact that i dont talk about it, and generaly dont mention it at all means that i am not considered 'geeky', hell, i play basketball, i do well in sports and am a muso.

but on the other hand, some people (read: the majority of them) are deffintly geeky, i reckon that if you showed them a girl they would just clamp up totaly. this is a little bit of an exageration but you get the picture.

the simple fact is that it really depends on the people in your region. things like D&D are considered total geek and the people that i know who play that and other RPGs are really really geeky. but this isnt the deffinate, because all over the world people are different, so it is therefore impossable to say if something is geeky or not...

hope that made sense :D

Gutted
02-09-2009, 08:39
Super geeky. Its like a combination toy collecting and roleplaying which bumps it right up there.

Rob'
02-09-2009, 08:42
It is considered geeky, but not by my workmates. They have their own geeky stuff (one likes painting, the other one does cosplay, one works to buy videogames and computer parts and WoW...) but think that warhammer costs a ton of money for little.

To that I reply that "I don't smoke, Unlike you, and I enjoy it, so shut up".

Condottiere
02-09-2009, 08:45
The general populace seems unaware of it, and if you explain it to them, they regard it as a hobby like fishing or miniature train enthusiasts.

Radium
02-09-2009, 09:25
Slightly geeky, but not more so than say comics or model cars.

Most of the guys I know have a girlfriend/wife or are confirmed bachelors. And it seems to attract a lot of metal/rock fans for some reason.

Dr. Hellbeast
02-09-2009, 09:28
It can only become viewed as less geeky now there is so much more exposure to the GW universes through increasing amounts of video games. It'll gradually be understood by many more people and become more appreciated for the rich, layered background it is.

Arkondak
02-09-2009, 09:44
If telling the average member of the opposite sex you do/have done something reduces the chance that they will want to sleep with you, it is by definition geeky.

Example:

responses to the question "what did you do last week?"

"I jumped off the pier to save a drowning child and a shark tried to eat me so i punched it in the head till it let me go, then i dragged the kid to shore where i administered CPR before the paramedics arrived."

Not geeky

"I measured the epic scale warlord titan against an epic scale marine and calculated a formula to determine a 40k scale warlord should be 2'6". then drew plans on a CAD program and assembled the model myself out of foam and plasticard. I'm currently looking up the correct heraldry on BOLS to find the proper paintscheme for Legio tempestius circa M36."

geeky.

Gav2k
02-09-2009, 09:47
you don't picture him playing football or soccer (that's right, in football, you throw the ball. Deal with it)

I do apologise but I had to enter the thread to say this:
HAND EGG. Foot. Ball. Throwing requires Hands. And how can you call that thing a ball?

As for in Glasgow, it's not uncommon for the local cultured youth to walk by the open shop-door and shout profanities. Pleasant bunch, eh?

Kburn
02-09-2009, 10:03
The hobby cannot make you geeky, only you can make yourself geeky.

All these are IMO, but I feel that 40k/fantasy is not something that we should discuss with others in-depth. It takes a certain kind of personality for someone to be interested, and most aren't interested. Even my fiancee's eyes glaze over when I lose track and start talking about 40k sometimes. Trying to talk about it will only make the 'geek' label stick harder.

Also, a good way to not become a geek is to have many interests and hobbies, to meet people, have fun, and be happy. This world is a beautiful place, and there is so much more to life than work and 40k. It is a great hobby, no doubt, but if you want to have a large circle of friends, and interest from prospective partners, do go out and enjoy life, volunteer, learn a sport, socialize.

Contrary to the popular belief, being an anti-social rebel type will not earn you many friends or interest. The frat boy image of drinking till you throw up, or screaming profanities only serves to alienate you from your peers.

Master Jeridian
02-09-2009, 10:16
Oh, I love these threads.

First of all I'll answer the question, yes Warhammer is considered geeky/nerdy by the wider population- where do I live? The world.
Get over it.

If your gonna live your life not doing the things you enjoy because of peer pressure (and believe me peer pressure is far more in your mind than in theirs) than that's a waste.

Now onto the part I like about this thread- the cliched geek responses.

If you can't just get over being 'geeky' for playing with toy soldiers, please pick one of these defences.

-The Genius: "I'm not playing with toy soldiers, oh no, I'm reenacting classical wars so that I may defeat Alexander or Napolean. I am far superior to that 'jock' that wedgied me in school for I have defeated small plastic versions of great military commanders."
Also- "It teaches maths, planning and strategic thinking...chicks dig that."
"There just jealous of my mastery of wargaming."

-The Closet Geek: "I don't care what people think of my wargaming, and to prove it I will drop unsubtle hints about banging my girlfriend/weights, my massive BMI, press-up rate and other 'counter-geek' balances."
Also- "My girlfriends tits said I'm not geeky..."

-The Loud and Proud Geek: "There's nothing wrong with dressing up as a Commissar whilst I play, nothing, your all just prude and jealous."
Also- "I wear this stink with pride."

ashc
02-09-2009, 10:26
Is the space-pope catholic?

Master Jeridian above pretty much sums up my sentiments otherwise.

There is another geek class, The Stealth Geek. That's the one where when people find out what your hobby is, their response is 'wow, you don't at all seem like the sort of person who does that'.

God LFC
02-09-2009, 10:32
hang on, i play football (proper football) and DID have a girlfriend last week:cries: and i don't hang round with the libray kids. i have only one mate who does 40k and he got in to the hobby because i showed him the old dark elves army book, and went on from there. the others no about it but don't say anything because i don't say anything, and the rest of the ****in school don't no squat. once your through school its fine

Hypaspist
02-09-2009, 10:32
Q - where you live Is Warhammer considered geeky.
A - (Universally)... yes... yes it is.

Echoing many of the posters here, it is only really a problem if you are at a stage in your life where you despearately care what other people think of you. (usually denoted by being at school/college/ etc)

its no different (in terms of consumption of time and obsession levels) from being those fella's that you see every weekend on the canal fishing, or the kit-car enthusiast who likes to buff his hood every weeknd, the gardener/home farmer who spends every waking hour tending their latest vegetables.

In short it's a hobby, call it 'Toy Soldiers' when talking about it to people with brazen unashamedness and you will find people process the information far more easily.
it's when you try to explain it that their eyes will glaze over with interest and you will be labelled 'odd' (but then the above pastimes will be labelled odd by any number of people who don't 'get it')

Just like what you do and have confidence that *you* are enjoying it, a pox on what anyone else thinks!

EDIT: Agree with ashc (I am a Stealth Geek also.... ask my wife.. mwahahahahahah)

ashc
02-09-2009, 10:33
Oh yes, a good point here is that once beyond school/6th form college, no one really cares anyway.

Grimtuff
02-09-2009, 10:42
Yes, it is considered geeky round here and I do get ribbed for it at work sometimes. But it is all in good fun.

I think this lovely piece of satire shows how geekyness is in the eye of the beholder. ;)
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/38664

Dr. Hellbeast
02-09-2009, 10:44
Yes, it is considered geeky round here and I do get ribbed for it at work sometimes. But it si all in good fun.

I think this lovely piece of satire shows how geekyness is in the eye of the beholder. ;)
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/38664

Indeed. Got to love The Onion:

http://www.theonion.com/content/from_print/sci_fi_geek_only_hangs_out

Col. Frost
02-09-2009, 11:01
It's always going to be considered 'Geeky' by some sections of culture, though in Britain it seems to be the loud mouthed teens who like to think they are 'hard' and so shout abuse at everyone else.

Most people i know that are involved in the hobby have well paying jobs (you need that to fund the hobby :eyebrows: ) and have girlfriends / partners / wives and are active in sports ranging from Swimming to Rugby (for those that don't know, its like American egg-hand but without the plate armour and dosn't stop every 3 seconds to swap the team around :p ). The exact opposite of the perceived image of a nerd or geek.

Aladin_sane
02-09-2009, 11:04
People knew that I played the game all through secondary school and I never really got bothered by it and when I did I wasn't really bothered because those that did make a point of it generally made bigger fools of themselves (never underestimate 'So what?' as a response).

I'm generally quite open about it, in that if someone asks me what my hobbies are I tell them, or that if gaming is something Iíll be doing on the weekend instead of going out. When I would have spare time I would read BL novel in the common room and no one would care, I guess Iím lucky that my friends are mature enough to understand that it's a hobby.

On a side note, this is hilarious: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_1d4JIfSydbg/SlPAX2kMY0I/AAAAAAAAAMA/_U7R1Ix19o0/s1600-h/Gamers.JPG

Mr.Rotty
02-09-2009, 11:12
Its considered geeky here, but noone really cares, because since warhammer world is right here there is loaads of people here that do it. So noone really minds.

Morlu
02-09-2009, 11:22
It is considered geeky yes and I consider myself a geek...and im darn proud of it! I say to all, embrase your geekyness, be who you want to be, do what you want to do, and be content in the knowledge that you will go far further in life than the "cool" people who shout abuse at you through the shop door because they dont have enough brain cells to think of something else to do!

greenbull
02-09-2009, 11:24
Very amusing thread!

As most people pointed out: when you get older, you worry less about what people think about you. But still, this hobby is my little secret that I hide from most people I know. I'm 40, have an attractive wife, 2 children, and I do a lot of other hobbies that definately are not geeky ( kite-surfing and mountainbiking ).

One event however, I will never forget: one evening I had arranged a game of 'Flames of War' with someone who had never been at my house before. The guy shows up with his army in a lot of boxes, and rings the doorbell of ... my neighbour, who happens to have a dinner party. They ask the guy:" are you the cook ? " seeing all his stuff. He realises his mistake, and answers: "No, I'm here to play a game with my toy-soldiers, but it must be your neighbour where I need to be..."
I never felt so embarassed as when the guy told me what had happened:eek:

Filthy O'Bedlam
02-09-2009, 11:44
Where I live, No-one, but no one has even heard of it. I am an island of cool in a sea of Hicks.

Cheers, Filthy

hlaine larkin
02-09-2009, 11:48
yep its geeky- but as someone very well pointed out- everyone is a geek for something. there isnt much of a difference really in what we have- cases full of hudnreds of pounds worth of stuff and someone who has a Man Utd bedroom=- posters everywhere, bed sheets,all the new shirts- just what people have decided is and isnt actually classed as geeky differs. we are all a geek for something.

djinn8
02-09-2009, 11:50
My Girlfriend thinks I'm a geek, so yeah where I live it's considered geeky.

hlaine larkin
02-09-2009, 11:56
i know im a geek :P so are most people who play the hobby- but im in the who gives a crap group. yeah but lets see how £18 of cigarettes get you? well on your way to cancer and last about a week tops. that £18 box of saurus i bought took me a week to paint well and i have been using em ever since. i bought my lizardman army for about £100-£150 and it has lasted me about 7 months worth of entertainment. nothing else is that cheap :D its not expensive, its just expensive if you want all the updated stuff (see the previous post football shirts blah blaH) and then its just a big burst of money, over hte past 7 months i have probs bought another £50 or so of stuff making it £200 tops. thats what 7.50 a week not even a tenth of what i earn in a week ( im a student with a part time job) my bro on the other hand spends about £15 a week on cigarettes which last him the week and kill him simultaneously.

so yes im a geek- but being a geek makes sense :D i have fun.

Mannimarco
02-09-2009, 12:28
yeah its geeky, theres geekier things out there but not by much (im looking at you LARPers! :D)

its also in interesting social thing, seems to go hand in hand with other "non mainstream" hobbies, take heavy metal for example, heavy metal isnt mainstream, just look at the charts: week after week its the same pop/hip hop garbage, never any REAL metal but take a look around your local store, lots of metal heads (at least 90% of the geeks in mine are also metalheads)

so yeah its geeky but id much rather have this than spending another 40 quid on a tshirt every single year that is SLIGHTLY different from last year, then spending a days wage every week just to watch a game of football (football is where you kick the ball, it existed long before our american friends renamed it soccer, deal with it :D) then after watching the game i can go spend a couple of days wages on a pub destroying my liver before running up to the shops to spend a couple of hours wages buying somthing that is gonna destroy my lungs and all the time staggering around blind drunk and making a fool of myself

better just to stick to the geeky toy soldiers

Grimtuff
02-09-2009, 12:36
yeah its geeky, theres geekier things out there but not by much (im looking at you LARPers! :D)

Ahem! :p
This post was brought to you by: The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Hal'jin
02-09-2009, 12:36
I study computer science.
Seriously, playing with toy soldiers is somewhere in the lower levels of geekiness around here...

And chicks dig toy soldiers. Especially when you buy and paint one especially for them. *whistles innocently*

Tokugawa100
02-09-2009, 12:40
In my area of Australia, Im one of maybe three people who play it but heaps of people know we do.
And alot of them think the models are cool and want to play.
Ive yet to meet someone who calls it geeky.

Tringsh
02-09-2009, 12:41
I think it’s considered Geeky where ever you go. Which is strange because I know some really cool people that play and collect.

It's just a stigma but it's not helped by certain people. For example there's nothing worse than going into my local shop and having teenagers screaming and shouting at each other about the most trivial crap. It doesn't make for a pleasant atmosphere and I certainly don’t want to hang around.

Anyone going to GamesFest this year? I met some cool people at that last year.

Jagged
02-09-2009, 12:50
Since most people I know don't know what Warhammer is then I am not sure it even qualifies as "geeky".

DaSpaceAsians
02-09-2009, 12:54
In my secondary school it's either considered overly expensive for glorified toy soldiers or very childish or for the somewhat insane. When I tell most fellow students of Warhammer and just how much I spent, they react in 8 ways:
-You're crazy
-Wow, awesome models, can you bring some?
-Too expensive
-Why am I not surprised?
-I could have spent that money in a better place (someone told me that it would have been better spent in make-up.)
-Yeah I heard of that. It looks really complex.
-Complete Silence and shock.
-Are you using that to practice taking over the World?

hlaine larkin
02-09-2009, 12:57
yeah i agree and we know that in the logn run its cheaper than other hobbies- liek with most things people think -toy soldiers, he must be a nerd (or she) but while i dont wanna be whining on about 'they don't understand us' they don't actually think about it :P its reletively cheap as once u have a 2k list in fantasy or 1750 for 40k that covers about 90% of the games you play which is about 3-4 a week for me and thats all for the just under £200 i spent on it. so yeah.

No-One
02-09-2009, 13:04
i personally think warhammer is a little geeky for the fact that we're grown men and are sitting there sculpting, converting, gluing and painting little plastic/metal toys. now, that said, i personally am a one of those guys that falls into the category of "theres no way he'd play/do something that nerdy/geeky" and yet i used to play D&D, and to this day still play WhiteWolf's World of Darkness games.

Personally i think its a matter of what you make it. I have a fiancee who thinks the nerdyness i exibit is sexy, she gets turned on when i get excited about getting a new model or new rulebook! and its not just her, i've heard many of her friend say that it is "sexy" to have a nerdy outlet, something that shows that you are talented at something that doesn't involve alcohol or throwing a ball.

i'm not vouching for everyone, but i personally dont fall into the "nerd" achetype but i know there are many out there that do. frankly i dont think social ineptness, or lack of "coolness" can be tied to any hobby, its the person that decides the level of nerd they carry.

my 2 cents
NoOne

Vote Kantor
02-09-2009, 13:05
Remember: Stuff doesn't make you geeky, /People/ make you geeky!

People: Hey, you, Im gonna pretend I know what i am talking about and assume you are an elf that just got XP

Me:... heh, Haha... PAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHhahahahhaha Haha. Ha.

Tokugawa100
02-09-2009, 13:10
I think itís considered Geeky where ever you go. Which is strange because I know some really cool people that play and collect.

It's just a stigma but it's not helped by certain people. For example there's nothing worse than going into my local shop and having teenagers screaming and shouting at each other about the most trivial crap. It doesn't make for a pleasant atmosphere and I certainly donít want to hang around.

Anyone going to GamesFest this year? I met some cool people at that last year.

I have to agree with this intensely.
Years ago after many months I convinced my gf to have a go at Warhammer after she was persuaded with some eldar models.
Her first game was good but the "nerds" and "geeks" around us did not help.
Arguments over the "geekiest things" can ruin a person's first tiem.
Girlfriend didnt want to play at clubs after that, only at home which is still pretty sweet.
The club I went to also put off one of my best mates who had just started on warhammer 40k.
One game against a serious gamer convinced him clubs werent his thing.
We play at my house now.

mooze
02-09-2009, 13:14
Geeky? Are you mad?? Whenever I meet a beautiful woman the first thing I tell her is "Try to stay calm, but I need to tell you that I play warhammer." Always, just every single time this is followed by a sound like a sponge being wrung out on the floor and, suddenly, I'm standing in a puddle with a lascivious minx clinging possessively to my leg. Too damn manly for my own damn self.

Who cares... I find that cool is found in the absence of an effort to be cool. We've all seen that 50 year old guy with a corvette and a ponytail whose smirking lips would feel oh so wonderful... at the top of a floor-to-ceiling uppercut. Just do your thing and never apologise for behavior that hurts no one.

hlaine larkin
02-09-2009, 13:14
Years ago after many months I convinced my gf to have a go at Warhammer after she was persuaded with some eldar models.
Girlfriend didnt want to play at clubs after that, only at home which is still pretty sweet.
The club I went to also put off one of my best mates who had just started on warhammer 40k.
We play at my house now.

yeah definately clubs can be bad for new people, just like GW stores- someone said earlier on, nothing will put someone off the hobby quicker than this scenario-

-person walks into the store thinking, wow this is pretty cool stuff. i wonder if i can try it out- enter person 1 and 2-

person 1- Archaon would own settra in the face, liek 10 attarcks at ws 9 at str stupid, ignorign all your armour saves

person 2- yeah but settra gets a 4 + save then a 4+ ward

person 1- archaos weapon ignores his armour save you *****!

person 2- no it doesnt- settra ALWAYS gets a 2 + save that is never reduced to worse than a 4+ even against items that allow no armour save!

person 1- no he doesnt !

person 2-yeah he does, look in the book fag.

-at this point the new person thinks, hmm maybe not... and leaves, then people are like yo whats it like in there and he will say ;they are a bunch of geeks and nerds... its stupid..-

Tringsh
02-09-2009, 13:30
We play at my house now.

I don't play at clubs or stores either. Luckily I know a decent amount of people that play in my local area so we just do house visits.

Apart from the less than desirable people I've heard far too many horror stories of people damaging models or stealing things to even want to risk it.

It's always a Kodak moment when you get your girlfriend to play Warhammer :D

Tokugawa100
02-09-2009, 13:37
Ahem! :p
This post was brought to you by: The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

With the pokemon fans over six, is that the show or the game.
Hate the show.
Like the games, more the older ones though.
So far though Im in the top ranks. YAY me.

Tommygun
02-09-2009, 13:46
With all the different cultures of the world, the one universal truth that they all agree with, is that Warhammer players are geeky.
Viva la Geeky!

Makiaveli
02-09-2009, 14:34
Nevermind....I see that what I was trying to say has already been covered.....

FBI
02-09-2009, 15:05
If playing warhammer is geeky, then Vin Diesel is also. Heared he plays as well.

Whitehorn
02-09-2009, 15:13
What's the deal with geekiness? Guaranteed everyone has something they don't like and will likely label it something such as 'sad', 'geeky', 'lame', 'sick' and so on.

Aspiring to be arty, social and improving your mathematics and strategy is a healthy thing. If being labeled geeky is supposed to be insulting or derogatory, I find that hilarious.

Cuchulain84
02-09-2009, 15:37
Where I'm from 'Warhammer' and 'Games Workshop' are probably the worst tags to have attatched to you. As a kid it's deemed very geeky/nerdy but reasonably acceptable, but for a grown man to be doing it is beyond most peoples comprehension. It immediately puts you in with the Trainspotters, Trekkies and Sex Offenders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHDCSIJiWCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYd-1rpWhw8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geZoES9KQ-Q

And to be honest 90% of wargamers are just like the above. I'm a pretty casual gamer but I still keep it as my dirty little secret...

Aladin_sane
02-09-2009, 15:46
What's the deal with geekiness? Guaranteed everyone has something they don't like and will likely label it something such as 'sad', 'geeky', 'lame', 'sick' and so on.

Aspiring to be arty, social and improving your mathematics and strategy is a healthy thing. If being labeled geeky is supposed to be insulting or derogatory, I find that hilarious.

Well said there!

jams86
02-09-2009, 15:53
like it has been mentioned before, playing with toy soldiers may appear geeky but personally i'm not particularly bothered what other people think. it's my choice and i can do whatever i like in my spare time.

aaaanyhoo, one observation i've made since i've been living in plymouth is the number of people in the navy and army that seem to be into the hobby. i guess they need something to occupy their spare time with whilst on deployment :)

Ravenous
02-09-2009, 15:55

Thats pretty much it, Ive been wargaming since I was 8 and because that involved me painting thousands of models it eventually led me to doing airbrushing and bodypainting for $120/hr, so to all those ******s that are working construction or putting up dry wall everyday and going home to their ugly wives I say HA! :evilgrin:

When I worked at GW the thing I sold parents on is that the game does involve reading, math, art and many other aspects and that it really is "secretly educational". Really the only thing this hobby lacks is fitness, but whatever thats what a gyms for.

Egaeus
02-09-2009, 16:03
Really the only thing this hope lacks is fitness, but whatever thats what a gyms for.

How so? I get a pretty good workout hauling my armies around when I do get out to play.

Obviously you don't have a big enough army then. :angel:

unheilig
02-09-2009, 16:14
I am a tattoo artist, and as such... surrounded quite often by half-naked women.

When I am not tattooing, I am working on my space marines, so they are always out on my drawing table.

I often have to explain them... and I cannot recall a negative reaction.

One time, I was tattooing a girl (whose tattoo required her being topless), and her jealous boyfriend said "oh, is that what 'rock star' tattoo artists do when they aren't tattooing? play with toy soldiers?" in some desperate attempt to shame me.

I replied "oh yeah, those are space marines! check them out! they defend humanity from hostile aliens... we play games with them! i love it! i spend as much free time i have doing that... when i'm not busy sleeping with other guys' girlfriends."

i'm too old to give a rat's ass what anyone thinks of my hobby. i've been doing it for over 20 years... with no sign of slowing down.

unheilig
02-09-2009, 16:15
How so? I get a pretty good workout hauling my armies around when I do get out to play.

Obviously you don't have a big enough army then. :angel:

he needs to play more apocalypse. ;)

Reinholt
02-09-2009, 16:19
No one thing you do will define you (barring, perhaps, some pretty extreme things, and tabletop model gaming is not on the list, sorry); the question of if something is geeky also depends upon how you approach it and what you are like.

In the group I play with, we have some serious nerds (cannot exist for more than ten minutes without bringing up Star Wars / Star Trek / etc, do not bathe often enough, seem unaware of personal hygiene, and so on...), but some that are very much not. Our gaming group includes lawyers, bankers, military guys, and a few actors (not the "I'm a waiter" kind, either).

So what does this tell me?

It tells me that if you approach it like a nerd, you will be seen as a nerd for it.

For instance, contrast these two answers when asked about the game by someone not in the know:

#1: "I put together toy soldiers and then play very complicated games in my basement with them."

#2: "Well, on the weekends I'm the ruler of a massive horde of bloodthirsty animals that exist only to destroy, and have killed more men than you will ever meet in your life."

It's all about how you say it.

AmasNagol
02-09-2009, 16:24
Doing anything for an inordinate amount of time which, to others, appears to give you no benefit aside from personal satisfaction is probably considered nerdy.

I don't get fitter playing 40k. I certainly don't get richer. I do it for my own enjoyment as it is a nice relaxing hobby. Expecting people to immediately comprehend something which is very personal to you and its benefits are not really measurable by social standards isn't something that happens much these days. More often than not when people cannot comprehend something which you spend time and effort on they will react adversely, usually with mockery.

Thats just how people are these days.

Cuchulain84
02-09-2009, 16:25
For instance, contrast these two answers when asked about the game by someone not in the know:

#1: "I put together toy soldiers and then play very complicated games in my basement with them."

#2: "Well, on the weekends I'm the ruler of a massive horde of bloodthirsty animals that exist only to destroy, and have killed more men than you will ever meet in your life."

It's all about how you say it.

The first one sounds very nerdy the second sounds very geeky.

AmasNagol
02-09-2009, 16:26
You could always just say that your parole officer suggested it because it is not only a relaxing way to curb your violent urges, but it also keeps you off the streets where you are most likely to cause harm. And then look at them with a blank stare.

Vepr
02-09-2009, 16:41
I really never cared what others thought. I played football and boxed in high school and college and still played table top games and RPG's the entire time. The only person that ribs me about gaming anymore is my wife just because she likes to joke about it. The only other person that has ever given me a hard time about gaming was a sparring partner that give me guff about laying off the heavy bag and speed bag when I painted. Hard to hold a hand steady later in the day after working the bags. :D

BrotherMoses
02-09-2009, 16:58
I wouldn't say its considered geeky.

I would say its considered "hyper-geeky".

I even have a hard time justifying it myself sometimes.

I spend very large amounts of money to buy plastic pieces I have to assemble into little men and paint, requiring usually months just to complete. Then I have to cart these men off about once a month to play a game that takes about two hours to complete. Meanwhile, I'm hoping my army will get completely up-to-date rules in about one to two years time. I've never played a game with that sort of time line. Seems I have fun sometimes so I guess its worth it.

Kurisu313
02-09-2009, 17:27

Exactly my sentiments.

Call it whatever you want, but that name won't be a negative thing.

Ravenous
02-09-2009, 17:33
I wouldn't say its considered geeky.

I would say its considered "hyper-geeky".

I even have a hard time justifying it myself sometimes.

I spend very large amounts of money to buy plastic pieces I have to assemble into little men and paint, requiring usually months just to complete. Then I have to cart these men off about once a month to play a game that takes about two hours to complete. Meanwhile, I'm hoping my army will get completely up-to-date rules in about one to two years time. I've never played a game with that sort of time line. Seems I have fun sometimes so I guess its worth it.

Plus the movie 40 year old virgin didnt help any of us when he was painting models "You're silver pants are now blue!".

pyromaster55
02-09-2009, 17:43
The main problem here is the definition of geeks vs nerds.

I've always seen a nerd as someone who is socially awkward, and a geek as a sort of enthusiast.

But really it doesn't matter what other people think about it if you enjoy it. I went through all of high school lumped in with the nerds because I was well spoken and enjoyed reading, despite playing soccer, tournament paintball, and whitewater kayaking. all three very un-nerdy activities.

Once you hit college the nerd/geek stereotype seems to disappear for the most part, some of the biggest jocks in college have played 40k with me, though not actually invested any money in it (broke college student syndrome). Even my fiance plays as Eldar now, and has even started writing a bit of fluff for her own craftworld.

MontytheMighty
02-09-2009, 19:02
I'm not an obvious geek, neither am I the super stud striker on the football (real football not handegg) team, though I am on the team, I guess I'm a closet geek, I'm glad that there seems to be quite a few people like me in the warhammer community because the more hardcore geeks/nerds/metalheads aren't really my crowd, live action DnD...I'll never be able to understand the appeal of dressing up as elves and yelling "level 5 lightning" at each other :P

Imperius
02-09-2009, 19:07
Be nice to nerds, they may be your boss later on.

-Quote from Bill Gates.

God LFC
02-09-2009, 19:22
I'm not an obvious geek, neither am I the super stud striker on the football (real football not handegg) team, though I am on the team, I guess I'm a closet geek, I'm glad that there seems to be quite a few people like me in the warhammer community because the more hardcore geeks/nerds/metalheads aren't really my crowd, live action DnD...I'll never be able to understand the appeal of dressing up as elves and yelling "level 5 lightning" at each other :P

exactly like me guv, spot on

lanrak
02-09-2009, 19:51
Hi all.
Where I live 'wargaming' is considered a bit geeky by some.
But 'Warhammer' is mainly concidered to be 'expensive' more than anything else!:D

Awilla the Hun
02-09-2009, 20:00
Yes. Well, when one gets to secondary school. That tends to seperate the Generals from the Non Players (or the stubborn, the socially inept, and the childish from the civilized human being.)

Person from my year in Year 7 spots my reading White Dwarf. "So, you play that then?"

Awilla: "Yes."

Person: "I did, but it got gay."

Person walks away, leaving me feeling slightly folorn.

SPYDER68
02-09-2009, 20:02
i live in the US and everyone i tell about the game says it sounds like a neat hobby, not so much geeky...

sharky 10
02-09-2009, 20:04
Its percieved as geeky because of stereotyping i think theres nothing geeky about it at all there is the odd weirdo and geek but not a lot.

Fire Harte
02-09-2009, 20:11
Yes it is geeky and I don't have a problem with that but others do. :)

Writerski7
02-09-2009, 20:40
Whenever I talk about them they give me that "Ur such a nerd" look . . .

hlaine larkin
02-09-2009, 21:02
i think the general concensus is thus- yes we are geeks- but who cares- i still have a life.

Important
02-09-2009, 21:08
It's kinda geeky where I live. But me and all other people I know also hang out with people who don't play and do other stuff. It's not like we are the "geeks of the town"

ard boy stu
02-09-2009, 21:15
were i live its considered fairly geeky (well it did) but me and a buddy managed to get some cool people in 2 it and now not so many people see it Geeky round here :)

Johnmclane
02-09-2009, 22:47
Ofcourse it is ... but the thing is thereīs a difference being nerdy or being a nerd.

I've always been into "geeky" things, comics, movies, computer games warhammer building terrain etc etc but noone ever thinks of me as a geek. That is because there is more too it.
Social skills first ...
I could add some things but then I probably start a flame war.
Thing is my special interests has given me my job today as an tattoo artist and illustrator. That and a heck of insanly hard work :)

MontytheMighty
02-09-2009, 22:47
exactly like me guv, spot on

closet geeks of the world unite :D

imperial90
02-09-2009, 23:30
Its a geeky hobby, but then again, my friend who goes to my school on a sports scholarship plays, infact he got me into it lol. So Its obviously not the exclusive domain of the geek

bdub7777
02-09-2009, 23:49
My girlfriend makes fun of me for playing with little plastic army men, and I make fun of her for LARPing. So it's all in the eye for the beholder

redbaron998
03-09-2009, 00:08
Due to all the recent Video games and such more and more people are becomming aware of what Warhammer is.

It is often considered less nerdy then Larp or Magic, but it is still considered more nerdy than your typical video gamer for the fact that it is so expensive. People do still see it as more of a game then a Hobby. (Which is why people think its so wierd to spend that much money on it)

Dexter099
03-09-2009, 05:40
Warhammer is a MANLY game, played by REAL MEN. (and a few women)

252nd Fire Dragoon
03-09-2009, 05:49
Aloha,
Well I live in Hawaii and I am the only person I know that plays where I live. So im considered a popular geek/nerd at my school. W/e to the people that call me geek or nerd. I tell them to shove off, knowing that what I do is more accepted by people then the underage smoking and drinking.

rb.uhs
03-09-2009, 06:01
Speaking from personal experience, beat the hell outta someone who gives you **** about it. Supposedly like jail, where if you beat someone up the first day, you wont become someones boy toy. I wouldn't recommend it, but it worked for me.

All hobbies have their extremes. For DD, WoW, WH etc. there's the people who fit a certain criteria and they are classified as nerds. Not so much a hobby, but people who are nuts about NFL and play it whenever possible and fulfil a certain criteria are classed as 'Jocks' (or whatever you crazy Americants call them)

And to actually follow the thread topic - Yes.

AngryAngel
03-09-2009, 07:29
These threads do seem to pop up from time to time. Yes its considerd geeky. Unless your ashamed of yourself, that shouldn't be a problem. Most people do things I don't agree with, but live and let die as they say.

However I would be like the commissar or Lord commissar of my local group, so you know I have no shame. As well if any try and retreat from their geeky hobby, they will be executed for dereliction of duty.

DEADMARSH
03-09-2009, 08:37
There are people at my store who dress funny, they're rarely seen with another member of the opposite sex, and they quote sci-fi movies loudly and often.

There are also people at my store who dress fairly normal, are married or have girlfriends, and generally have a relatively firm grasp on social niceties.

People are geeks. Activities, while they may attract geeky people or cool people, are not inherently geeky or cool.

So the question isn't is Warhammer geeky, it's are you geeky.

Playing sports won't automatically make you cool and playing Warhammer (or Magic or whatever) won't automatically make you a geek. It's all you and what you bring to the table. Are geeky people more likely to be found playing Warhammer than football (and by that I mean soccer, lols)? Sure, but that doesn't make Warhammer geeky.

Darkstar2586
03-09-2009, 09:23
I do apologise but I had to enter the thread to say this:
HAND EGG. Foot. Ball. Throwing requires Hands. And how can you call that thing a ball?

As for in Glasgow, it's not uncommon for the local cultured youth to walk by the open shop-door and shout profanities. Pleasant bunch, eh?

Not only do I entirely agree with this statement about Football primarily requiring feet to be involved, but about the youth walking by and shouting in down south from you :P

The GW store used to be located in a secluded area no one went down, and is now in the centre of the most used section of the town with big glass window/walls.

Funny time, I went in to buy some paint with my mate, and there my mates younger cousin was getting abuse from some kids stood at the door way, and didnt realise till the cousin smiled, then they turned and found us two 24 year olds, largely built stood behind them....priceless looks on their faces.

I second it being quite manly too, Nothing better then sitting back with a few beers, bunch of blokes round the table bettering each other and eating steak ^^ NOM!

The Marshel
03-09-2009, 11:32
oh, of course its considered nerdy, but you have to ask you're self, "how much does that matter?"

see, whre i'm from, the people i know seem to have reached the point of maturity where hey dont think geeks and nerds are the scourge of society. thats not to say the scoical group doesn't exist, its just that people dont seem to see it as a bad thing.

like, i could hae a good long conversation with someone "cool" about wargaming and they'd probably be pretty interested in it.

besides, there is a second question you have to consider "how much does that matter, to me?"

if you enjoy it, if you find it satisfying to paint minitures you can be proud of, or love writing up effective army list, or theres little you'd rather do more then set up a table and duke it out with some mates using little plastic and metal men, who really cares if its considered nerdy? I know i dont. I find it fun, an i'll be dammed if something as stupid as imature social classing makes me want to stop

hawo0313
03-09-2009, 11:38
Well I managed to play in secret for about a year and a half until the day I was caught by a teammate from my football(australian rules) team playing a game it was akward they walked in we talked they thought the models were cool but when they saw some others people playing it they said "whao" with shocked faces "this is full on" and proceeded to leave from the store as fast as possible I shrugged turned to my opponent with a manic expression on my face now where were we oh yeah my DC are charging your fire warriors" They havent asked me about it since.

so pretty much its cool to look at arty and a lot of people like it they just wouldnt play it because
1. other people who are playing it
2. its expensive
3. thier afraid they'll waste thier money because thier painting isn't up to scratch

Giganthrax
03-09-2009, 14:28
Grown men playing with toy soldiers will always be considered geeky.

Googleness
03-09-2009, 18:47
better be geeky then bored.. :)

wangalang
03-09-2009, 22:05
yes! my m8s dont even know i play it, apart from my games workshop m8s obv. if they found out ild get mocked lol

hlaine larkin
03-09-2009, 22:07
better be geeky then bored.. :)

well said- im generally in accordance with everyone else- yes it is but who cares :D i dont share with people cos they have no interest in it, my friends know but dont really care.

primarch16
03-09-2009, 22:55
Yup it's geeky. All who deny it are in extreme denial. But in my life experience everyones a little weird in their own way. So I wouldn't worry about it. I think gaming is geekier than painting however. I noticed it as my gf seems pretty interested in what I'm Reading or painting, but if I bring gaming into it she loses interest. Oh and I know what I'm talking about, I was the leader of the warhammer club in school. Lmao.

HunterSkunter
03-09-2009, 22:57
Yup it's geeky. All who deny it are in extreme denial. But in my life experience everyones a little weird in their own way. So I wouldn't worry about it. I think gaming is geekier than painting however. I noticed it as my gf seems pretty interested in what I'm Reading or painting, but if I bring gaming into it she loses interest. Oh and I know what I'm talking about, I was the leader of the warhammer club in school. Lmao.

At least you weren't the leader of the Magic the Gathering club, when Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh were popular. Ugh.

kazkal
03-09-2009, 23:15
I really like the Warhammer fluff (both 40k and fantasy). I'm less familiar with the table top game but I have watched a couple of battle reports on youtube and flipped through a codex or two...and the table top game looks really fun, I would definitely give it a shot if time and money allows in the future.

I am curious though, I'd like to ask the forum members here, what is the status of the Warhammer game where you live? Is it considered a really nerdy/geeky past time (or is this more of an American attitude that any activity that involves a bit of thinking is for geeks, and if it involves gluing models and painting them, my god only a huge nerd would do such a thing)?
Do a lot of the people you meet who play Warhammer actually fit the nerd/weirdo stereotype, and about how old are most of them?

Does it matter? I remember stigmata around Magic when I played it only nerds did,But plenty people from all walks of life did..... aslong as you enjoy it shouldn't matter.

Lolhammer
04-09-2009, 00:45
Not really, because a ton of people do it around here. My girlfriend does it so...

LonelyPath
04-09-2009, 01:09
If someone considers you a geek or a nerd for your hobby wear the label with pride, they tend to be intelligent, well balanced individuals. It's considered geeky to be into any form of gaming among many people I know, but they also realise that it's just 1 thing a person does and not the whole. Many people are geeky regardless of their interest. Ask someone about their favourite band and listen to them prattle on about it for ages, that's geeky also on their part ;)

Shas'o Brightsword
04-09-2009, 03:09
I have have kept me playing a secret for four years only shared with fellow friends i game with. I mean at school i guess you could say i am in the "popular" group but i hate those tags. I mean i play soccer A team captain and i skateboard i am pretty good and get pretty intense about it. So if people look at me they would never think i did.! But if they found out I dont think it would matter to much as i have built up a solid rep where nobody should mess with me to much besides some teammates. But i mean i really like it and its a great past time i wont be quitting in the next century. so i say screw what others think but also dont go around trying to label yourself as nerd carry yourself with pride you can be interested in other things that are perfectly normal sometimes i wish instead of sports being the big thing these days it was warhammer on espn how cool would that be?

Lord-Gen Bale Chambers
04-09-2009, 03:45
Geeky is the new cool.

You just need to watch what is on TV and in movies to realize that. Gaming (tabletop or video) are popular with a majority of people now. With the cross over between table top and videogames (ref: Dawn of War), people are more familiar with games that originated on the tabletop.

There will always be some people that don't understand or are not open minded. This tends to be more so the younger you are.

Having played at a few game stores, there are alot of people that don't fit the stereo type of nerd that play, but the hobby is defintely "geeky."

fattdex
04-09-2009, 03:47
I live on Planet Earth, where Warhammer is considered to be geeky.

mistblade
04-09-2009, 04:18
it is pretty much considered geeky where i'm from as well, but so much fun.

Zingbaby
04-09-2009, 04:21
To the OP - a better question might be, is there anywhere that Warhammer is NOT considered geeky? ...the answer will probably still be ...no?

I don't care that much myself - though to be honest I don't really tell a lot of people about it.