PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Exchange Rates

Tarax
02-09-2009, 09:03
Just letting off some steam:

In the first half of this year I bought a lot of models via the GW-website. With a favourable exchange rate between the UK pound and the Euro, it was much cheaper to buy them that way.

However, since about a month or so, I can't buy my models from the UK-website and have to do it from the local site. Not only does that mean I have to put up with a more expensive price, if I want it delivered at my home, when I still buy it from the UK, I have to pay shipping fee, which is about as much as the difference in price. (Although they say it's an estimate.)

I mean, the current exchange rate is 1 UK pound = 1,136 euro. But I wanted something that costs 29,35 pounds, which would be 39 euro, ie 33% increase. Anothing I wanted was 11,75 pounds or 20 euro, ie 70% increase! :eek: That is a lot!

Now I'm wandering if I should buy from another website which is both cheaper and doesn't charge shipping costs. I know some friends of mine do, so I don't need names.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

AndrewGPaul
02-09-2009, 09:08
Now I'm wandering if I should buy from another website which is both cheaper and doesn't charge shipping costs. I know some friends of mine do, so I don't need names.

er, why wouldn't you? :)

Hena
02-09-2009, 09:18
This is actually an annoying thing. Before my FLGS was able to buy mail order stuff (only things I buy) with pound prices with "GW conversion rate" (which was 1,25). This meant that I did lose a bit, but could support the store that supplied me before the internet.

Now however they have to use the euro prices which has the cost raises show above. I frankly I will not pay ~70% price hikes just because. Grr... stupid GW.

So to answer the original question. If you have credit card, go for GW website. That's what I intend to do next time I want something as well.

After reading the original post again I realise that this doesn't make much sense. I Rock :) !

blongbling
02-09-2009, 09:39
there are plenty of retailers that will ship to you no matter where you are and let you pay in sterling and not charge postage, Maelstrom and Wayland are but two of them.

You need to also remember that GW isn't in the habit of changing the prices on its products to suit the current exchange rate, they buy forward on their currency for the year and then set their internal exchange rate for the year. Unless there is a major drop or change that would affect them adversely then why would the change?

sigur
02-09-2009, 09:50
IIRC, Space Hulk's pound price has somewhat been adjusted to the price but i'm not sure.

Anyhow, other online stores like amazon.co.uk also limited sales of stuff to continental Europe a year ago or so.

zedeyejoe
02-09-2009, 10:16
In the first half of this year I bought a lot of models via the GW-website. With a favourable exchange rate between the UK pound and the Euro, it was much cheaper to buy them that way.

Loophole seen, loophole closed. Me I would have been happy all the way to my bank account.

But you are quite right, there are other good deals out there and people will be happy to point you in their direction.

As the Chinese would say "We are living in interesting times." If you keep your wits about you you can make/save money as exchange rates/share prices leap from side to side.

Vermin-thing
02-09-2009, 10:33
It stinks that I have to pay an extra $10 on a manticore just because I can't seems to find it any ware else. I need it for my High priest's Lammasu mount. This is shaping up to be a rather expensive character.

Sknight
02-09-2009, 11:05
I shop from independant retailers aswell, this is an expensive hobby band no matter how much we complain GW is not going to lower prices because they have no real competition (some may argue). So I try and find discounts wherever I can.

Try local independant retailers or online stores, they usually give at least a 10% discount in my experience.

Cheers
Knight

TheDarkDaff
02-09-2009, 11:37
If you want to see a real kick in the pants have a look at the Aussie prices for GW products. Roughly double the American dollar amount despite earlier this year the Aussie dollar being worth US96 cents. Why would you pay double the price for an item you can order from overseas. A similar thing happens when you look at the UK and European prices although not as big a jump. Us folks from downunder pay twice as much for our warhammer fix than you folk up north.

Just to give you an example have a look at Space Hulk. Buy from the UK at AUS$113.85, from the US at AUS$118.24, From europe at AUS$133.35 or buy from Australia at AUS$165. I know there is shipping and other costs involved but the real price difference is just rediculous. I can buy it at 33% off just getting retail prices and if you throw in the webstore discounts it is a joke trying to support the local stores in Aus.

blongbling
02-09-2009, 12:01
dont make the mistake of thinking the prices are linked, eg the UK is the price and then they are all set off that as that isn't the case. The prices are set to whatever their predetermined equivalent in that territory is, eg the price point.

What those are then in the US or the UK don't matter, there is no correlation. The only place there will be correlation, more or less, is in Europe

rich1231
02-09-2009, 12:03
Exchange rates are a pain as are regional taxation variations.

You can't escape variations. But please have pity for us in the UK as we have been forced to pay over the odds for pretty much everything for the last 50 years.

Re GW pricing and hobby items in general.. I'm not sure many will think this way, but if you break down the cost of the hobby over time then the actual cost for the fun you will ave over years and years is actually quite low.

At least the internet has created a global market for most products.

DartzIRL
02-09-2009, 14:05
Some of us Irish gamers just take a quick spin up to GW Belfast.

The Price difference on a single superheavy tank alone makes up for busfare/petrol. And if you're buying more like Battleforces and such, the big boxes it gets even interesting-er.