PDA

View Full Version : Did Anyone Ever Play Dark Future?

Dr. Hellbeast
02-09-2009, 10:35
Hi, all.

Was perusing GW's site the other day and I saw the PDF rules for all their old games on there.

As a kid in the eighties I was always drawn to Dark Future, but never played it. When I saw the rules up for it I was tempted to buy some small kits of sports cars to Mad-Maxify in order to play the game.

Was it any good? Worth pursuing?

P.S. Mods, sorry if this shouldn't be here. I wasn't sure where to put it.

chromedog
02-09-2009, 10:42
Yes, I used to play it.
It was a more-or-less quicker version of Battlecars with a better backstory and miniatures. It was a fun little game, but I've not played it in years - so the rose-tinted nostalgia glasses effect may come into it.

40k Boy
02-09-2009, 12:03
Its a great game, i first bought it in 1989ish and still play it now. The models for it were superb as well. The only problem is the rarity of finding a decent copy of the stuff on ebay. The rules on the site are good though, and you can easily use GW/FW roads and matchbox cars with a little modification.

Its certainly a fun game, and removed from the standard storyline of the other games. I love the background material of it.

its fairly easy to pick up and play as well.

DCLXVI
02-09-2009, 14:32
I got into the GW hobby a bit too late to play Dark Future, but having recently bought all the books, I could see me getting into it. The background and setting are brilliant! The rules seem a bit in-depth and fiddly though - it'd be great if they did an update a la Space Hulk *hint hint*

Dr. Hellbeast
02-09-2009, 14:38
I got into the GW hobby a bit too late to play Dark Future, but having recently bought all the books, I could see me getting into it. The background and setting are brilliant! The rules seem a bit in-depth and fiddly though - it'd be great if they did an update a la Space Hulk *hint hint*

I wonder if they'd now call it Dark Present. :D

Thanks for the replies, chaps. Food for thought.

AndrewGPaul
02-09-2009, 14:52
No, the re-issued novels have been retconned into the 2020s.

As to playing it, I played it once, much to the surprise of Jervis (who was visiting our club that day. If he'd turned up the previous week, he'd have seen us playing Oi! Dat's My Leg!, complete with silly songs tape :) ).

Its main flaw was the roads - there are no junctions, so every game is a stern chase or a game of chicken, which gets a little tedious after a while. Especially if you end up with a gunship versus an interceptor - either the gunship can't chake the interceptor off its tail, or the interceptor makes a run for it and the gunship can't keep up. I thought of trying to design t- and x-junctions, but the markings would get complicated very quickly. Think 2 90-degree curves overlapping for the t-junction - doable - or 4 superimposed patterns for an intersection - probably totally illegible.

The background was good, though - Mad Max meets Neuromancer meets Call of Cthulhu, with the Chaos Gods making a cameo appearance (as does Elvis Presley!). Oh, and a Swiss nun driving a semi-AI Ferrari interceptor. :)

lanrak
02-09-2009, 19:12
Hi all.
A littel gem of a game IMO.
(Although the campain rules were a little bit unballanced.)
There is /was a fan site with all the 'card stock' from the game as a downloadable PDF.(I got some replacment hazzard markers.)Ill post a link if its still running.

We still play the odd game of DF ,and it still great fun.

AndrewGPaul.
Did you use the 'Deadmans Curve' and 'White Line Fever' expansions?
Bikes pedestrians and loads of extra rules for special manouvers- ambushes etc.(The game is very adaptable, without using special road tiles IMO.)

I find Dark Future is great at being a '3D RPG', (with a good GM).

TTFN
Lanrak.

wilycoyote
02-09-2009, 19:39
Hi,

Try googling fluency.paintedtarget, you should find your way to an excellent fansite for Dark Future with plenty of goodies.

This is a great game and probably the best part is converting matchbox cars. Try looking up Stan Johanson (sp?) miniatures for some lovely bits and bobs you can add.

WilyC

AndrewGPaul
02-09-2009, 22:01
We only played a couple of times. We did once use the pedestrian rules (mostly because a Renegade got its engine destroyed - the driver got out and blew the front offside wheel off an Interceptor with his handgun! :)

There was one obvious exploit, though - infantry weapons had infinite ammo. Fair enough when they're on foot, but they can also be passengers in cars - nicely sidestepping the ammo restrictions for miniguns and the like.

Spacker
02-09-2009, 22:35
I used to play, back in my youthful days. I still have the Route 666 novel in with my 40k books too. Ah, memories ...

Angelwing
03-09-2009, 04:09
All I have left of Dark future is WD104, that has the rules and background for Red Harvest, and a dark future Thrud the Barbarian.

Jackmojo
03-09-2009, 04:40
I liked converting matchbox cars into mad max death machines...only recall playing it once though...

Jack

e2055261
03-09-2009, 07:20
Never played it but i remember it in white dwarf. It looked pretty quirky but i never really got into Mad Max...

Col. Frost
03-09-2009, 09:29
The game that got me into the hobby!

Great game. Could be played in so many ways it was amazing. They even had rules for organising race meetings (A day at the races?) they published in WD. Brilliant game all round really.