PDA

View Full Version : Beginner wants to start with Tomb Kings! Need help, 2.250 points, want to start BIG

Mercutius
02-09-2009, 15:35
Hello,

I played now some games with my WoC and want to start also Tomb Kings, I thing they work completly different, and I think it would be a lot of fun to master the old dusty skeletts. And I love the models, I look forward to paint them. I also buyed some models, but here start the problems :-).

I'm not completley new to that game but to that army. So I want to start with 2.250 Points and nees to know if that army could work, or if I just put to much different choices in my bag. Any advice would be great :-).

Headquarter:
------------
1x Tomb King with chariot, chariot of fire, Spear of Antharak (275) **1
1x Liche Priest, Skeletthorse, Staff of Ravening (168) **2
1x Liche Priest, cloak of dunes (135)
1x Liche Priest, Collar of Chapesh, Casket of Souls (305) **3

Core Choices:
-------------
3x Chariots, standard, Icon of the sacred Eye (190) (**1 runs in here)
20x Bow skeletons (160)
20x Skelettwarriors, standard, Banner of the undying legion (195)
5x light Horse (70) (**2 runs in here)

Special Choices:
----------------
20x Tomb Guard, full command, Icon of Rakaph (310)
3x Ushabtis (195)
3x Carrion (72)
1x Tomb Scorpions (85)

Rare Choices:
-------------
1X Screaming Skull Catapult (90)
1x Casket of Souls (priced in **3)

That's exactly 2.250 points. Could this army works? And thanks for your help :-). If I can ran this, than I will go and buy the missing parts/modells and start painting :-).

Mercutius
03-09-2009, 07:33
No comments from the expirienced TK players?

I just ask because its a ton of money, I don't want to spend it on an army-build wich can not work :-).

Infurion
03-09-2009, 09:22
This list looks quite decent. If you want to make this an army that can take on multiple other armies, you might concider either to bring 1 or 2 Tomb Swarms, or making room for another Scorpion to have more burrowing options. Many people don't like the Ushabti because of their squishyness (T4 and 5+ AS is not much to write home about), but I like them. Play them right and protect them with screening or terrain, and they can wreck havoc. Also many TK players underestimate the power of healing, so with your 3 priests you should be able to keep your units topped up until the enemy reaches your lines.

If you want the TK in a chariot, I would concider the Flail of Skulls instead of the spear to add more killing power. That weapon is the death of multiple-wounds units. :)

But even with no changes, this list is still very solid. Just my 2 cents. ;)

Mercutius
03-09-2009, 09:46
Thanks for your advice, that realy helps alot! :-)

I run the Ushabtis because they are on top of my 'Tomb King best model' list :-). I want to paint them and then of course, also put them on the battle field.

Yes, I also think that the Scorpion is stat/point wise a very good and very versatile unit, but other than the Ushaptis I can't stand the model, so only one because of performance (I feel (and read here :-)) that the TKs are more of the underperformer, so at least one Scorpion addet). When we get a new book and hopefuly also new Scorpions, they will grow in numbers :-) (atleast if they will stay that good in the new army book).

But again, thank you, I will start and build/paint that list :-). Of course, my beloved WoC will also improve modelwise, but from a gaming point of view they're not so interesting.

Last night I hat again a game with my WoC against my friends VC (2.000 points). I did'nt had any magic, so lose during the first two rounds horrible to his magic(there was a spell, where on a roll of 4+ every unit of mine and even the chars lose one wound. Terrible!), but in the third round all his three chars (I had also only three, and only meeles) were dead and he gave up.

I wantet something more like his army where you need to work together with all your units and not only run with everything foreward to crush the enemy, and so I decidet to go with the Tomb Kings. Ah jes, and the fine models :-).

Infurion
03-09-2009, 10:29
Tomb Kings are the underdogs, but it doesn't mean they underperform. In the hands of a good general, they can take on every army. The key to success is to think many steps ahead when moving your troops, careful placing of your magic users to get the most out of them, and ofc the magic itself. Take care of your Hierophant. Many people give him the Cloak of the Dunes to be able to fly him to safety if he gets threathened, but when you know how to think ahead, he might aswell be on foot or on a horse. Giving the TK the Destroyer of Eternities + the Cloak makes for some fun tactics. :)

Edit: I also played my TK vs a VC army (2250p) last thursday. I won with almost 1700p and a clear Massacre. I didn't burrow my insects, so magic-charging his general + one of his Necromancers my first turn with my 2 Scorpions was priceless (gogo Poison + killing blow). :D

kyinpie
03-09-2009, 12:34
id split that archer unit to 2 units of 10. change the spear on the king for the flail of skulls. im not a big fan of ushabti or the casket. i would spend those points on more chariots amd swarms and a secound catapult. but thats more personal choice.
also make the hirophant the one with the cloak of dunes, also consider takingh the jar! it could get u that important move off!

Infurion
03-09-2009, 13:35
id split that archer unit to 2 units of 10.
Actually TK archers are more effective in bigger units. This is because of our Incantation of smiting. One spell on a 20 man unit is 20 shots, while you need to cast 2 spells to get the same ammount of shooting when you have 2 x 10 man units.

Ofc if there is no hill and lots of terrain in the way, it might be better with 2 x 10, but generally a unit of 20 is better due to the effect of our spell. Plus, give the unit a command, and reform when the enemy comes to near, and you have a second tarpit. ;)

About the casket: Many tournaments don't allow duplicate rare choices, and the Bone Giant is alot worse than the casket. You'd have to weigh the pro's and cons of having one priest a sitting duck, while on the other hand it gives -1 to enemy spell casting, causing terror, and the biggest plus of your enemy having to save dispel dice for it (if it goes off, it can be devestating). Which means you get more important spells trough.

Enigmatik1
03-09-2009, 13:45
That's definitely a good list to start with. I have a different approach to TKs than most people and I'm fairly new myself but I'll try to offer what advice/help I can. Just remember, I tend to run non-standard lists...so my advice may not work for you.

I would strongly suggest giving your King the Flail of Skulls instead of the Spear. The Flail is our next best offensive option behind the Destroyer of Eternities. The Spear is an excellent defensive/bunker weapon, but Chariot characters should rarely be set up defensively. :D

Your Priests are good, although I'm personally not a fan of the Staff of Ravening (I have horrible luck with it). But more bound items are good to draw out dispel dice! I always give my Hierophants the Cloak of the Dunes and the Hieratic Jar for the extra incantation when I really need it.

Don't sleep on the Casket of Souls! I think it's worth the points for the universal -1 to enemy casting rolls. Everything else is just added bonus. The fact that it causes Terror is a suitable deterrent for melee ambush/skirmishing attackers as they usually don't have stellar LD and are often likely to fail a terror test. And it's already a nice bunker vs. missiles (except things that snipe). So I wouldn't give the Casket Priest the Collar, instead give it to your Hierophant. Give the Casket Priest a Dispel Scroll and Enkhil's Kanopi (or another scroll) imo.

I personally despise skeleton "warriors" with a passion. My first rule of Tomb Kingdom is every skeleton on the battlefield who isn't driving a chariot should have a bow. Do yourself a favor and run the other unit as archers also. You may want to split them up into 2 units of 10 and put one of those units near your Catapult/Casket. Other than that, good core setup!

Your special setup is good also. I tend to run Ushabti in units of 4 because they attract a lot of attention. Let's face it, why wouldn't they? There the hardest hitting unit we have outside of a character (or a rampaging Bone Giant) while being snuggly soft otherwise. Screen the hell out of them! Hide them behind hills, forests, other units...do whatever it takes. Just make sure that they can't easily be shot at or magicked and they'll be fine.

I haven't used Carrion yet in a list, mainly because I don't have any. I think a unit of 3 is too soft and will probably not make it where you want them to be. If you were fielding 6, I'd say keep them. With only 3, I'd say drop them for another Scorpion.

You have a good rare setup already. Variety is good. Remember to keep a small unit of skeleton archers nearby to help protect it from units that get too close if possible.

I hope this helped some or at least gave you additional ideas! Best of luck to you!
:D

kyinpie
03-09-2009, 14:26
Actually TK archers are more effective in bigger units. This is because of our Incantation of smiting. One spell on a 20 man unit is 20 shots, while you need to cast 2 spells to get the same ammount of shooting when you have 2 x 10 man units.

Ofc if there is no hill and lots of terrain in the way, it might be better with 2 x 10, but generally a unit of 20 is better due to the effect of our spell. Plus, give the unit a command, and reform when the enemy comes to near, and you have a second tarpit. ;)

About the casket: Many tournaments don't allow duplicate rare choices, and the Bone Giant is alot worse than the casket. You'd have to weigh the pro's and cons of having one priest a sitting duck, while on the other hand it gives -1 to enemy spell casting, causing terror, and the biggest plus of your enemy having to save dispel dice for it (if it goes off, it can be devestating). Which means you get more important spells trough.

im sorry i'll have to disagree here, how often are you going to be able to shoot with all 20 inless they are in a long line? if i have a hill in my deployment zone the catapult will be there! ok you may need to cast two lots of incantations on the archers in two units, but at least you will be able to shoot with all 20 and not have them blocking a large part of the deployment zone. also skelitons strugle to be a tar pit as it is, even with hand weapon shield and light armour. skeliton archers with no armour will get minced and will never hold a unit up, not even for one turn, inless its light cavalry, but even then my money will be on the light cav! dont give them a command either, its a waste of points plus its an easy 100 vps for the enemy!!

Mercutius
04-09-2009, 06:27
Thank you all very much, that was a very good disscussion!

So I know, that the models I want to by are the right ones and with them I can (an should :-)) vary in their equipment, and have at least a good start. Becaus I have already a, in the meantime mostly :-), painted army, you should'nt hold you breath to see soon to much approval on this one (wanna take my time to make good paint job :-)), but the first models are buyed, assembled and already primed :-).

Infurion
04-09-2009, 06:42
Nice to hear. Good luck with your new army, and welcome to the ranks of the Tomb Kings! :D