PDA

View Full Version : Good 40k Books for a New Player?

Richard Dean Anderson
02-09-2009, 20:34
Hello,

I just started getting into 40k and was wondering what some good books for new players are, for fluff and what not. I picked up the First Omnibus of the Guants Ghost series cause I am planning on doing guard. While I was there I asked the guy and he didn't know much, but said that the Horus Heresy series was good so I grabed the first book in that series as well. I have read all the history in the Rulebook and some of the Lexicanum (Spelling might not be right), but I am looking for more of everything, any ideas of good 40k books?

Thanks,

Aries_37
02-09-2009, 20:41
You have 2 of the main ones. The Eisenhorn and Ravenor omnibuses are also good.

All Abnett, one of the few warhammer authors who don't make me cringe every other page.

Important
02-09-2009, 20:52
Esienhorn and ravenor series are awesome if you want to get knowledge how the Inquisition works. Those are in my opinions the best series written.

Urath
02-09-2009, 20:54
Check "Angels of Darkness", "Lord of the Night", "Storm of Iron", "Dark Apostle" and "Dark Disciple" as well as the "Grey Knight Omnibus" for some of the better Marine books.

Fire Harte
02-09-2009, 20:54
I reccomend the Imperial Guard books except Desert Raiders as it isn't really about the Tallarn err... desert raiding. :)

Raibaru
02-09-2009, 20:56
I'd suggest some of the wiki sites devoted to 40k.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

Probably others out there.

The 40k fluff bible is also an awesome collection of mostly official fiction mostly from 1st and 2nd edition rules and codex. Best bet for that is torrents or rapidlibrary.com to try and find it.

Firaxin
02-09-2009, 20:58
Definitely the Eisenhorn omnibus and Lord of the Night, those are the only two I bothered bringing to college.

Richard Dean Anderson
02-09-2009, 21:20
Thanks for all the Quick Responses, I tend to read kinda fast so I'll have to look into those.

catbarf
02-09-2009, 21:29
I really recommend Fifteen Hours. It really sums up the incompetency of the Imperium, and requires no knowledge of the backstory to understand.

Orktavius
02-09-2009, 21:37
The Cain novels are a must read....so they aren't serious....they are still seriously hilarious :D

Grimbad
02-09-2009, 21:45
The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer is an absolute must, it will tell you everything you would possibly want to know about the Guard. How to bayonet Orks, that Tau are afraid of fire, how to trap vespids with a bowl of beer, how to react if blown out of a transport ship into space, and, most importantly, how to disparately pray for the God-Emperor's mercy at the first sight of trouble.
http://www.blacklibrary.com/product.asp?prod=60040181019&type=Book

Dervos
02-09-2009, 21:49
The Cain novels are a must read....so they aren't serious....they are still seriously hilarious :D

YES! These books are great, I love this series.

A few of the marine novels have space marines working hand in hand with imperial guard or the PDF (Planet Defense Force) but maybe not quite what your looking for, those novels mentioned previously are great for guard

Orktavius
02-09-2009, 22:07
the marine novels tend to blow however...least other then the Heresy novels I've yet to read a decent one :-/ Cain, Gaunt, Ravenor and Eisenhorn are the novels to read in my mind...though I have yet to read the 15 hours one

Damocles8
02-09-2009, 23:49
Gunheads was a fun read....as were the IG omnibus (fifteen hours, rebel winter, deathworld....and some more short stories between them).....I didn't mind the Blood Raven's Omnibus (though the third one made my head hurt with the first person perspective, but was a GREAT literary device).....Let The Galaxy Burn was fantastic...Double Eagle and Titanicus (love Abnett)

Urath
02-09-2009, 23:52
Blood Raven omnibus? Someone likes C.S Goto?

:raises combi-plasma weapon:

Logarithm Udgaur
02-09-2009, 23:55
The short story Omnibus' (Ominibi?) are generally good for getting into the background as they provide a variety of writing styles and story concepts. I quite enjoyed "Let the Galaxy Burn" and "PlanetKill." They can also give you an idea of what authors you like and you can seek out more books by them.

dude37
03-09-2009, 00:04
anything by Dan Abnett is great, so yeah ravenor and eisonhorn are awesome. but gaunts ghost are really cool too so you should probably read them.

Israfael
03-09-2009, 00:29
Blood Raven omnibus? Someone likes C.S Goto?

:raises combi-plasma weapon:

Hahaha, I had the same thought.

:raises heavy flamer:

Israfael
03-09-2009, 00:41
Now then, back to the subject at hand - here is what I consider a list of some of my favorite BL novels.

ENTIRE Horus Heresy Series (aside from Battle for the Abyss)
Ravenor Omnibus
Storm of Iron
Ciaphas Cain Omnibus
Lord of the Night
Dark Disciple
Dark Apostle
Gunheads
Ultramarines Omnibus
Heroes of the Space Marines
Emperor's Mercy
Ice Guard
Gaunt's Ghosts
Brothers of the Snake
Angels of Darkness
Eisenhorn Omnibus

These are the ones standing out in my mind, I'll post some more once I get home and can look through my mountain of books.

trolly
03-09-2009, 00:53
hi,

1st you need to love the rulebook and codex book of course.
then you need to read Cain novel for fun.
then another novel for the serious part.

cheers,
:D

SharpSilver
03-09-2009, 01:22
I would recommend the Space Wolves series. Buy the first omnibus and then the 2nd when it's released.

Putty
03-09-2009, 01:32
Hello,

I just started getting into 40k and was wondering what some good books for new players are, for fluff and what not. I picked up the First Omnibus of the Guants Ghost series cause I am planning on doing guard. While I was there I asked the guy and he didn't know much, but said that the Horus Heresy series was good so I grabed the first book in that series as well. I have read all the history in the Rulebook and some of the Lexicanum (Spelling might not be right), but I am looking for more of everything, any ideas of good 40k books?

Thanks,

Eisenhorn and Ravenor Omnibus.

Ciaphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium is also a must read.

I don't know why but the Horus Heresy series was boring to me, i lost count of the times i skipped pages enmass or almost fell asleep reading it. Mechanicum felt like Mechhammer / Battletech to me...

and don't take all the fluff too seriously... they are there for entertainment reasons. They don't translate too well if transferred to the table top game. many people I met who think their space marines (or whatever army they play) are invincible (because the fluff says so) and became all emo when they get tabled on turn 3.

Cervantes3773
03-09-2009, 03:36
Fifteen Hours was trash. It's the first 40k book that I donated because I knew I would NEVER read it again. Anything by C.S. Goto is also trash of the lowest order (worse than girls from New Jersey).

I stick with short story collections and Mr. McNeill for my Space Marine fix, most other authors don't do it right... I liked the original Space Wolf books, but the new author didn't thrill me.

As everyone else has said Gaunt's Ghosts, Eisenhorn and Ravenor are musts. Execution Hour and Shadow Point were quite good. Farseer was fun. For those last three, don't pay our your butt to buy them, they're hard to find but not worth more than $10 each (at least from a literary enjoyment perspective).

Logarithm Udgaur
03-09-2009, 06:42
Fifteen Hours is trash and Gaunt's Ghosts is a must? Just making sure I read that right.

ReveredChaplainDrake
03-09-2009, 07:14
I liked Dawn of War II, even if the author is a bit of a nobody as far as BL goes. The marines do some pretty sick stuff, but it's not like they're completely indestructible like more traditional 'Movie Marines'. It's about as modern a look at the Tyranids as you'll get from BL, and it's waaaaay cheaper than a new video card capable of handling the actual Dawn of War II that has been sitting on my bookshelf since the very first day it was released. (:cries:) *ahem...* And it's fun, and that's the most important rule for any book. (Eat it, high school literary curriculum!)

I actually wouldn't recommend any Inquisition-based books to a new player. It might confuse you into thinking Inquisitors are actually studly enough to use. The Chaos ones are pretty safe, though.

e2055261
03-09-2009, 07:21
There's heaps of background in the rulebook - that seems the obvious start for me.