PDA

View Full Version : So, will there be a Plastic Venerable Dread?

burni
12-01-2006, 21:46
I took a wild guess in the Plastic Dev thread that hinted that the 2nd plastic SM release for CFII might be a Venerable Dread kit and to my surprise Brim's response was very promising...

So Brim, now we are starting to see a more and more CFII items, can you;

A. confirm that it's coming

B. confirm if it's plastic or metal

C. Tell us anything about it - accessories on sprue etc

I just hope you're 'gentlemens agreement' lets you tell us more!

Also does anyone know when the next worldwide GD type event is? It seems to me that it's at those events we first see new sprues - and there's a lot of plastic on the way!

lord_blackfang
12-01-2006, 22:09
Plastics for what is essentially a 0-1 per army vehicle upgrade? I sure hope not.

likeaknifeinthedark
12-01-2006, 22:33
all i'd think this would be is a additional sprue in the boxed set if this did exist, not that sure of the demand for it, but it is something that hasn't been released yet

Tinbitz
12-01-2006, 22:49
The Forgeworld version is pretty nice...
After anouncing the Pirhana, ist GW going to plain copy FW stuff now?

Mojaco
12-01-2006, 23:05
A venerable dreadnought would be a stupendous release. Even people with no skill can make one and as said they're just 0-1.
Vindicator and scout snipers (forgot which one was confirmed) are on my list.

SepulchreKnight
13-01-2006, 02:11
All valid points, but the best part of the Warhammer hobby is conversions. There are countless drawings or paintings along with competitions and fan sites you can get some great ideas. Simple is sometimes better. Plasticard and rivets make cool dred conversions, but its really all in the faceplate or powerfist. Forgeworld has an awesome diamond cutter style fist and the marine corpse behind glass is always cool. There are a million possibilities exist for either.

I would not complained about a new kit though. Especially hoe GW has seen fit to gouge FW and make cool conversion sprues like the sisters of battle and black templars. Who knows what will come.

Big Willy Style
13-01-2006, 02:21
The Forgeworld version is pretty nice...
After anouncing the Pirhana, ist GW going to plain copy FW stuff now?

Well, Forgeworld is a part of GW, so they are copying concepts that they came up with and created. ********s.

Insane Psychopath
13-01-2006, 07:12
From what I been told it the Vindacator Tank & scout with sniper rifles, not a dreadnought.

You use the basice Dreadnought & converted it up if you wish. As said it also a 0-1 so I think GW would not weaste time on it unless it was really needed. But again it the Vindacator tank & scout with sniper rilfe due out for the city fight.

IP

ferrus
13-01-2006, 07:21
Brimstone strongly hinted that it WAS a Vunerable Dreadnought and dimissed the rumours regarding the Vindactor.

However from what I believe there is uncertainty as to whether this will be Plastic or a Metal hybrid. Given GW's current "anti-hyrid" stance, given there is a FW model to copy like the Pirhana and finally there is the fact the sprue could contain a Plastic Melta-gun and extra armour (prehaps why FW haven't made one? I know the offical line is it was too hard but who knows...).

We shall see...

Ulfhedin
13-01-2006, 07:40
*If* there is a plastic Venerable Dreadnought it *might* use the existing Dread kit with a new front piece and extra details. The new front piece *might* have a large Imperial Eagle divided across the sarcophogus (effectivly a sculpted wing on each side).

macbeth
13-01-2006, 07:41
And couldn't it be simply a new dreadnought set, with all the weapons, maybe a vanilla sarcophagus and one for each of the big five (Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Black Templars), and maybe one or two decorations, scrolls, and so on, to make it venerable.

It would be a brand new box, based on the old one, just as they did with the tactical marines (they used the old box and added bits to make them look "more gothic")

Agamemnon2
13-01-2006, 07:44
I should bloody well hope not, Marines do not need any more catering to for the next year or six.

Odin
13-01-2006, 11:35
I should bloody well hope not, Marines do not need any more catering to for the next year or six.

Yes they do, unless you want GW to go bankrupt.

Luke
13-01-2006, 11:39
oh my god...

marines do NOT need anything now in excess of the scouts and the vindicator (and they dont really NEED those). if they did plan on doing anything for a venerable dread than i would severly hope that the very most they do is an upgrade sprue. a lot of trim type bits and pieces and some nice phat purity seals etc...

TheShadow3s
13-01-2006, 12:02
I heard more of these things , but why would you get sm something new don't they get enough in the last years .
I'd rather want to know if the baneblade is coming plastic , Brim said it somewhere he heard rumours from it too ( was this one of you're sources cause that would be awesome :D )

philbrad2
13-01-2006, 12:04
all i'd think this would be is a additional sprue in the boxed set if this did exist, not that sure of the demand for it, but it is something that hasn't been released yet

I'd expect this to, far easier for GW to design & bundle an additional sprue with the exisiting Dread than do something from scratch. As said I guess it'll have a limited appeal so a dress up of the exisiting model is prolly more on the cards than an all new kit. Plastic Mk IV would be nice though :evilgrin:

:chrome:

Chris
13-01-2006, 16:12
All the other CFII releases have been metal, so I would guess metal upgrade part for the existing plastic kit...

ferrus
13-01-2006, 16:39
All the other CFII releases have been metal, so I would guess metal upgrade part for the existing plastic kit...Which seems to have lost favour in GW circles these days...

To be honest it does seem to be cluching at straws a bit, especially if one considers that DA, BA and SW will all most likely have "Generic" plastic sets released alongside the Codex.

The Judge
13-01-2006, 16:49
I've heard rumours and talked to eyewitnesses, and am pretty sure it is coming out.

Why is everyone so hyped about plastic sniper scouts? Nobody (here) will buy them if they're anything like the current Mr. Chincredible scouts...

ferrus
13-01-2006, 16:54
Nobody (here) will buy them if they're anything like the current Mr. Chincredible scouts...
I know plenty who have brought them, and lets be honest anything with "Space Marine" on it will be snapped up by the GW kiddies before you know it. This includes seemingly obscure sets like Vunerable Dreads becuase having the "latest" Dread will be key for these kids in the playground. Given GW current financial position (read LoTR fallout, one can only hope that the current refocusing onto the traditional games shall continue to increase) they need all the help they can get.

How long untill GW run out of this to make for SM and finally unlease the long rumoured Predator/Land Raider cross...

Brimstone
13-01-2006, 18:20
So Brim, now we are starting to see a more and more CFII items, can you;

A. confirm that it's coming

I can confirm it rumoured to be coming out for Cities of Death, how about that.

B. confirm if it's plastic or metal

C. Tell us anything about it - accessories on sprue etc

Sorry I don't know anything else beyond the rumoured release at the moment.

The marine release for CFII at the moment are the Venerable dread, the scout snipers and a very very nice jumpack chaplain.

burni
13-01-2006, 18:23
I know I'm reading far too much into it but Brim's silence in this thread makes me think he can't deny it's true but can't yet speak about it - thus he's keeping 'stum'!

The chances are it is plastic (as GW are aiming for an all plastic SM range as we know) and the fact it will be just one small sprue means it's not as big a job as say the vindicator - an ideal quick win.

Brimstone
13-01-2006, 18:40
I know I'm reading far too much into it but Brim's silence in this thread makes me think he can't deny it's true but can't yet speak about it - thus he's keeping 'stum'!

*jumps up and down and waves*

Hello please see the post above yours. :p

taz
13-01-2006, 18:40
The marine release for CFII at the moment are the Venerable dread, the scout snipers and a very very nice jumpack chaplain.

interesting veeeery interseting :rolleyes:

t-tauri
13-01-2006, 20:01
That seems a very odd release. A touch of flogging the dead horse of the plastic Dread to us again with the simple addition of a new sprue? I hope there's enough new and interesting bits to make it worthwhile. Maybe a Mark IV style sarcophagous?

Agamemnon2
13-01-2006, 20:23
Goddamnit, GW... With crap like this filling the release schedule, they deserve to go down, the sooner the better.

blood angel
13-01-2006, 22:21
Models get attention that people buy. Dreads are very popular because they look neat (certainly not because they are good in the game).

Achilles
13-01-2006, 22:32
shame... that means they wont do the vindicator this time brim? was hoping for that one...

burni
13-01-2006, 22:33
*jumps up and down and waves*

Hello please see the post above yours. :p

Sorry 'bout that big guy - you must have posted it while I was typing (I'm a slower typer) :)

Agamemnon2 - is that what you really want? Perhaps if you look at it another way - let GW make enough profit to keep management happy and learn how to work the new tooling with SM releases. Then they can produce great items for the armies you use.

Just trying to look on the bright side... :angel:

charlie_c67
13-01-2006, 23:49
Goddamnit, GW... With crap like this filling the release schedule, they deserve to go down, the sooner the better.

Since you have such an issue with GW leave the hobby or move to another supplier. I'm starting to get a lil peeved with your constant GW slanging in every thread you comment on.

Wraithbored
14-01-2006, 00:19
Well IMHO yet ANOTHER SM release would be so annoying especially for a venerable dread. SM have more than their fair share of support, and a venerable dread isn't that hard to convert. Why can't armies like Orks and Dark Eldar get a little more TLC, they both need it as soon as possible. More room for other armies I say.

Agamemnon2
14-01-2006, 08:26
Agamemnon2 - is that what you really want? Perhaps if you look at it another way - let GW make enough profit to keep management happy and learn how to work the new tooling with SM releases. Then they can produce great items for the armies you use.

Just trying to look on the bright side... :angel:

They've already decided to waste away IG development resources to a pointless release of yet another regiment in metal, so I have no hopes whatsoever of seeing anything noteworthy from them in that quarter for the next 2-3 years.

@charlie: I stay with the game because it still has something of value within it. As one who spends money to buy new things, in retail even, I have the right to criticize the corporation.

Brimstone
14-01-2006, 08:57
@charlie: I stay with the game because it still has something of value within it. As one who spends money to buy new things, in retail even, I have the right to criticize the corporation.

Yes you do but in the appropriate forums, next time you try thread hijacking or posting comments not suitable to the forum they will be deleted.

It's a good job you edited your thread as your comments pre edit would have earned you a strike.

Agamemnon2
14-01-2006, 09:14
Anyway, who wants to bet what we'll be getting? Somehow, I keep seeing a new, FW-inspired sarcophagus head-and-torso-arrangement, plus a more ornate DCCW, FW-style as well. Or maybe they'll leave the sarcophagus as-is and do something with the big flat surfaces of the torso. An add-on sprue to the plastic kit, though, not an entirely new sculpt. Metal-plastic hybrids are right out too, thank gods.

I suppose they could do more right-hand weapon options, but if I had to put my money down, I'd bet they'll wait until Dark Angels to do a plasmacannon arm. If memory serves, the only other option is a multi-melta, which I understand nobody would give their dreadnought anyway, so that's that.

Orcdom
14-01-2006, 09:37
oh my god...
marines do NOT need anything now in excess of the scouts and the vindicator (and they dont really NEED those). if they did plan on doing anything for a venerable dread than i would severly hope that the very most they do is an upgrade sprue. a lot of trim type bits and pieces and some nice phat purity seals etc...

marines getting the scouts werent that bad an idea esp when they can be combined with the cadians and used for LatD armies as well.

Steve

Storm Hunters
14-01-2006, 20:02
i dont see why they havent got round to the doing a new vindicater. All they need to do is a sprue with a big dozer blade and a cannon, which isnt exactly intricate detail. The old rhino model just looks laim compaired to the new one, which i realy love in all its froms. I know its easy to covert one form the new rhino, but i just hate playing kids who buy the current modle and use it in conjunction with the new rhino modle, it just looks small and out of place. So the point is, is there a tecnical reason that they cant do a plastic Vindicator 'sighe' tank sprue for the cityfight summer, it makes logical sence to me.

And on the subject of GW's SM suport, i dont mind as without the kids who buy them, Paint them badly, play them badly, then forget them, the butifull leviathon wich supprots the intresting parts of the hobby would not be here. And on top of that, GM super human worior prists are pritty cool anways.

just my 2 cents

Wolf Lord Duregar
14-01-2006, 20:12
i dont see why they havent got round to the doing a new vindicater.So Forge World get to sell more of their great looking kit..?:skull:

Tom
14-01-2006, 20:34
If it weren't for the signup date I'd bet my life on Agamemmnon being Slappy...

As for GW 'stealing' FW kits; FW make more money from it. Shifts to plastic, greater sales, improved GW, better conditions for FW.

Achilles
14-01-2006, 21:16
we all figure the entire SM range will eventually be plastic (except the characters and certain chapter specifics), right? so with sniper-scouts and a Venerable dread (which i never figured they would create a plastic model for) for CotD, that leaves:
Plastic Vindicator
Plastic Devastators
New Bikes
New landspeeders (all plastic)
Drop pod (??? maybe)
plastic vets?
anything i didnt think of?????
now... which of these could be the generic release for DA then? would the vindicator be right for them? (which could mean it would still be on the horizon)

TheOTHERmaninblack
15-01-2006, 03:57
Dark angels? Ravenwing? just begging for new bikes and speeders. With ravenwing bits on the vehicle upgrade sprue.

BaSe
15-01-2006, 18:45
I used a forgeworld kit to make a new dreadnought (which is now on sale on eBay at www.haloworld.co.uk btw)and it worked well.

The Judge
15-01-2006, 18:51
That's a heavy list of stuff to release - they'll have to save something for the Blood Angels and Space Wolves...

my_name_is_tudor
15-01-2006, 19:37
Although I think a plastic (or otherwise) venerable dread is a little.. unneccessary, I still maintain that GW are effectively making marines the most complete army.

It is all well and good complaining now, but these last few releases will effectively make it so that the Marines are done with models (or at least plastics) wise.

This will mean that with 5th ed Marines, the only releases will most likely be re-done metals, and marines will take up less and less of the release schedule. We can see Tau and Tyranids reaching the same point, and orks aren't particularly far off either.

More marine releases now means more time for other armies later.

BUT as I have said, personally I think a venerable dread is a waste of time and resources anyway, when the VIndicator is a glaring hole in the marine range. I also don't agree with the idea of putting so much marine stuff out at once, but I can see why they are doing it, and can see the advantages to the hobbyist (or what GW pretends are advantages to justify their release schedule to the hobbyist among their corporation).

Count
15-01-2006, 19:40
Wait a minute, why would it have to be a venerable dreadnought? It might just be a more bling re-release of the standard kit without forcing you to field it as venerable, maybe with some optional widget that makes it WYSIWYG venerable.

sanctusmortis
15-01-2006, 19:59
I thought the plastikit had a ton of sarcophagi and all the weaponfits in it already?

If they re-released it, they could do a Carnifex and LITERALLY put everything in the box.

Achilles
15-01-2006, 20:14
I thought the plastikit had a ton of sarcophagi and all the weaponfits in it already?

If they re-released it, they could do a Carnifex and LITERALLY put everything in the box.

now that would actually be cool... finally a dread which has everything... 2 CCW, heavy bolters, autocannon

Arbedark
16-01-2006, 17:46

I thought the current plastic dread just had a missile launcher, tl lascannons, autocannon and DCCW?

I thought it was missing the Multi-Melta, which screws over Sallie players...

I'd rather see a new Vindi too compared to a Ven Dread. It's not as if the new release is needed.

But as has been said. More SM releases now = More time later for other releases.

Maybe GW are trying to totally complete the base SM line? So that they can sell loads to kiddies. THEN start on Orks, making them seem Kiddy friendly, hook the kiddies on Orks, and pull them all the way through the Ork like, like they have done with the SM line.

Thus making sure they get as much money out of the kiddies as possible?

Orcdom
16-01-2006, 19:40
it only has the las cannon, assault cannon, missle launcher, and DCCW
no autocannon, MM, or HB

Steve

philbrad2
16-01-2006, 20:09
Although I think a plastic (or otherwise) venerable dread is a little.. unneccessary, I still maintain that GW are effectively making marines the most complete army.

More marine releases now means more time for other armies later.

BUT as I have said, personally I think a venerable dread is a waste of time and resources anyway, when the VIndicator is a glaring hole in the marine range. I also don't agree with the idea of putting so much marine stuff out at once, but I can see why they are doing it, and can see the advantages to the hobbyist (or what GW pretends are advantages to justify their release schedule to the hobbyist among their corporation).

Think there's a big sign somewhere in the Studio at Lenton saying "YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH SPACE MARINES!" There still a good few years before SM's are a fully plastic army are here and no doubt by the time 5th ed rolls around (2009/10 maybe) a revision to the then 11/12 year old SM plastics will no doubt be on the cards. As for unneccessary, I think that's a little harsh. GW is filling in choices it doesn't have models for in the SM range. Vets eventually got models, as did Scout bikers. With the exeception of a plastic "inter-atmosphere rapid assault vehicle" *ahem* the SM range as its stands is pretty much covered in its current form. There is no Ven. Dread models - there is a Vindicator albeit an old pattern version. I too wish GW would listen to the gamers/hobbyists more for the direction of releases than solely to their marketing department.

:chrome:

t-tauri
16-01-2006, 21:09
I too wish GW would listen to the gamers/hobbyists more for the direction of releases than solely to their marketing department.

GW's Marketing department: a bunch of mindless jerks who'll be first against the wall when the revolution comes.[/Hitchhiker's] ;)

I'm curious as to what GW actually does for Market research. Years ago there was an annual survey in WD with a prize of every GW book/game/box of minis in print. Needless to say the response was huge. Now? I've not seen anything for years and I wonder how they now get an impression of the wants of the fans?

charlie_c67
17-01-2006, 21:49
Probably just based on sales of figures.

jimbo034
18-01-2006, 00:00
their making all of these space marine models now as they are their best selling army so that they can get back some money they lost to lotr so that they have the money to make the other less popular armies later