PDA

View Full Version : New Tau XV22 style battlesuits to come...

Rikka Rakka
03-09-2009, 01:24
One of the staffers at Warhammer World was telling me today that he has seen some new Battlesuits to come from Forgeworld pretty soon. He said that they were smaller than a standard Battlesuit, more in line with the kind that Commander Shadowsun wears and would possibly be on show at this years UK GD.

Can't wait. :)

TheOneWithNoName
03-09-2009, 01:52
Hopefully something in line with commander O'Kais from Dark Crusade.

lokiraptor
03-09-2009, 03:08
as cool as it is to have forgeworld do new battle suits, i would rather have them do new ones in plastic. It would be that hard and its sorely needed. The battle suits are way to blocky.

Inquisitor Engel
03-09-2009, 03:14
as cool as it is to have forgeworld do new battle suits, i would rather have them do new ones in plastic. It would be that hard and its sorely needed. The battle suits are way to blocky.

I would prefer they just made the plastic suits look like the FW XV-89 suits, to be honest.

MajorWesJanson
03-09-2009, 03:52
Orks, Elysians, and now possibly more Tau? Can I just set up a direct deposit from my paycheck to FW?

BigBadBull
03-09-2009, 04:13
Any tau news is great....
and the Xv-89s do rock as do the Xv-88-2's

RedSarge
03-09-2009, 04:53
XV-22 is Shadowsun's armor class....

XV-25 is the large Tau Terminators (plastic Stealth Suits).

Scorpion
03-09-2009, 05:05
I would prefer they just made the plastic suits look like the FW XV-89 suits, to be honest.

The XV-89s still have the blocky XV-8 body. I'd rather they just copied the Shas'O R'Myr's design. Much more elegant.

Schmapdi
03-09-2009, 05:09
Yeah - I wish they would de-blockify the standard kits instead.

The FW suits (which are only slightly more rounded even) look much better. But if/when I get around to a Tau army I don't want to pay through the nose for sleeker troops.

Prodigalson
03-09-2009, 06:23
I wish they would just work off the designs for a few years ago for the basic crisis suit, they were really good.

I'm not sure how good the XV22's will be. Their stealth suits really.... with a 4+ invulerable save.

Suits need a revamp rules wise anyway.

Maybe we'll get a new plastic with new weapons.

becko
03-09-2009, 10:26
I cant wait to see any pictures of them. I dont like the blocky style of the normal GW ones.

grissom2006
03-09-2009, 10:37
Great news so looking forward to seeing some i had kind of heard a hint at more Tau back at the FW open day. I'd like to see GW doing more with the battle suits even if it was just to change the Broadsides. The last update gave us the new plastic stealth suits and the Skyray i'd like to see more evolution in the designs come the next one.

Born Again
03-09-2009, 13:28
Yeah, same old... we don't need more FW, we need better plastic suits from GW...

bielmic
03-09-2009, 15:38
while i actually like the current regular crisis suits, i don't understand why those chose to model them as such. EVERYTHING else in the tau army has flowing curves while the standard GW crisis suits (not the FW ones, though) are blocky. i certainly won't shed a tear if they change them but i'd prefer if they put there efforts towards revising the codex rules...

Prodigalson
03-09-2009, 16:23
It will all come out at the same time, rules and new plastic.

The funny thing is, GW seems to be modfying a lot of the Forgeworld stuff over. If they gave the IG the Valk and the Tryranids the Trygon... I wonder if they will give us... what... the barracude....

Rikka Rakka
03-09-2009, 16:30
I'd quite like Tetras in plastic but that's beside the point. :)

Captain Micha
03-09-2009, 16:41
Tetras would be nice.

But we really just need new plastics for the Crisis suit in general.

At least they are starting to remember the Tau army exists.

loveless
03-09-2009, 16:45
Well, with GW's trend of demolishing hybrid metal/plastic kits (and two of the Crisis Suit models being hybrid kits), it's probably a decent guess that there will be at least a recut of the CS when the Tau are revisited.

Personally, I'd like to see a generic commander in XV22 - I don't play Tau, but I always liked that style and would probably buy one to paint up.

Rikka Rakka
03-09-2009, 17:01
Confusingly the same guy also told me that the SE Kroot Shaper with a weapon above his head was a conversion. I don't think so. I rather suspect either he was lying or that he was confused as to which model I meant.

Cane
03-09-2009, 17:27
Nice to see that I'm not the only one that has some beef with Tau Crisis suits even though overall the army looks great imo. The small heads and lack of kneepads don't help the blocky, chubby-thigh nature of 'em either however there have been great conversions made to improve this.

seven324
03-09-2009, 18:35
new battlesuits sounds great, glad to see they haven't forget that the tau exist. hope they release some other stuff aswell.

Canis
03-09-2009, 18:46
I like the sense of improvement and technological enhancement with the Tau models, the New Stealth suits and the Forgeworld Tau BFG fleet were big improvements on the originals. I quite like the style of the current crisis suits but the kit definately needs more poseability (knee and elbow joints would do it) and stronger ankle joints.

scarletsquig
04-09-2009, 00:44
It will all come out at the same time, rules and new plastic.

The funny thing is, GW seems to be modfying a lot of the Forgeworld stuff over. If they gave the IG the Valk and the Tryranids the Trygon... I wonder if they will give us... what... the barracude....

Yep, a lot of the last tau wave was a direct port from forgeworld, both the SkyRay and the Piranha.

Forgeworld is a great testing ground for new units and designs for later addition to regular 40k.

MajorWesJanson
04-09-2009, 01:49
If we get a couple ports from FW this time, I'd hope for the TX-42 Piranha (like Guard have the scout/armor sentinal choice), Tetras, and the Knarlocs.

Hokiecow
04-09-2009, 02:24
Tetras and TX-42.... just not that exciting...

MajorWesJanson
04-09-2009, 02:33
Tetras and TX-42.... just not that exciting...

They could probably combine them into one kit, now that I think about it. Just swap the wings and tail from the TX-42 for the marker pod and side bumpers of the tetra.

Rikka Rakka
04-09-2009, 03:14
The Tetra has a much smaller chassis though.

Prodigalson
04-09-2009, 04:01
That would honestly be... unerwhelming.

Valkerye... Trigun.... Pirahna Tx...

Now... give me a new broadside with some different weapon options. or a new crisis suit chasis (fast attack) or best of all, good crisis suit rules

MajorWesJanson
04-09-2009, 05:45
OK, how about the barracuda, make it a fast skimmer on a flying base, flyer in apoc. Not too much bigger than the devilfish chassis, between that and the valk in size.

Hokiecow
04-09-2009, 12:43
OK, but what purpose does a Barracuda serve in 40K that a IonHead doesn't already do? It wouldn't get the benifiet of the Apoc flying rules so really it's just a more expensive IH.

MajorWesJanson
04-09-2009, 14:04
I'd imagine it would be in the FA slot, and thus wouldn't compete with railheads or broadsides. Also, as a fast skimmer, it has quite a bit more mobility than an Ionhead.

axelbro
04-09-2009, 15:07
OK, but what purpose does a Barracuda serve in 40K that a IonHead doesn't already do? It wouldn't get the benifiet of the Apoc flying rules so really it's just a more expensive IH.

Yes it would be more expensive than the IH but it also carries a larger load out of seeker missles. I'm not sure of the actual points difference though

Hokiecow
04-09-2009, 16:51
It might be interesting if it could transport Gun Drones.

MajorWesJanson
04-09-2009, 17:29
It might be interesting if it could transport Gun Drones.

Then it would be a Tigershark.

Prodigalson
04-09-2009, 17:38
It's hard to say what any of that would cost. Certain vehicles have gotten a massive points break, and I expect that to continue to Tau. Look at the Predator, which has the same armament as the Hammerhead. Same armor, quite a it cheaper. The skimmer ability is not quite what it was in the last edition.

The devilfish is what I expect to get a massive points break. Both the Rhino and Chimera have gotten one, and I except the same for us.

I guess we'll see though.

The Barricude would probably be similar to the Valk/Vendetta. Fast Attack, ion cannon, missile pods etc.... good for chasing small vehicles around.

As for the XV 22... I wonder how Forgeworld will release that. Usually they build releases around an Imperial Armor. I thought the next one was about orks?

Hokiecow
05-09-2009, 00:48
Then it would be a Tigershark.

Ummm, then it would have to be 2 X bigger, cost 2 X more, and have more guns.

MajorWesJanson
05-09-2009, 01:46
Ummm, then it would have to be 2 X bigger, cost 2 X more, and have more guns.

Not many more guns. Actually I think it would just twin-link the ion cannon and keep the rest. The Tigershark is a waste in my opinion, hence why I am waiting for my AX-1-0 to come in.

cuda1179
05-09-2009, 06:37
I personally wouldn't mind seeing the stealth drone fighters. They are small enough to make a plastic kit on ONE sprue, maybe two. They could also work reasonably well as light, fast skimmers. Three to a squad?

Prodigalson
05-09-2009, 07:04
I like the look of the drone fighters but...

more burst cannons? Gag me already.

"Look tau player you get a new unit, and it can be armed with a burst cannon!! Yea.."

Crisis suits don't work right, but we sort of have to run them because it's the only place to get fusion guns, plasma rifles and missle pods (ok fusion on Pirhana, but it's over priced a.t.m. and worth 2 kill points). Give us some of those rail guns and ion cannons on other weapon platforms.

give me a broadside with twin linked ion cannons.
Give me a troop suit that carries 1 of the above, or a (gasp) a unit upgrade to do that!
Vespid that people actually want to run.
Pathfinder unit that gets something that makes them more surviveable (how about the Stealth rule?).

The thing is, the rule that makes tau playable now is going to have to go away. I'll be in shock if the disruption pods stay in the game at 5 pts. I bet fletchette discharges get the axe as well.

Sadly the rule that most exemplied tau (Move shoot move) is now... sort of useless. The benefit was that you could jump behind terrain and get out of LOS, but of course the new rules have boned that.

MajorWesJanson
05-09-2009, 15:58
Flechette and Disruption pods will likely stay, but probably jump to 15 and 20 points respectively. Though Vehicles, especially devilfish and piranhas ought to drop by about 15-20 points, so it should even out.

II Orar II
05-09-2009, 22:21
I like the look of the drone fighters but...

more burst cannons? Gag me already.

"Look tau player you get a new unit, and it can be armed with a burst cannon!! Yea.."

LOL, I would like flamer stealth drones or tbh anything with flamers/HF's.

Tau Captain
19-09-2009, 05:50
I wish they would put out conversion kits so that I can turn my gun drones into shield or markerlight drones. Is there some source of these I am unaware of?

Saihare
19-09-2009, 06:35
As much as I do love the Tau, and their battlesuits especially, I would kind of rather see ForgeWorld focus on some of the stuff that they're...well...lacking on, namely Dark Elves and Necrons. I don't play either of those armies, but still...there's tons of stuff for chaos, marines, guard, tau, tyranids and orks, and then less stuff for Eldar and then practically nothing for Dark Eldar or Necrons. The point of ForgeWorld, as I tend to think of it at least, is to expand on armies that could use such expansion, as well as produce new stuff for armies that are missing models for units.

TheOneWithNoName
19-09-2009, 08:46
As much as I do love the Tau, and their battlesuits especially, I would kind of rather see ForgeWorld focus on some of the stuff that they're...well...lacking on, namely Dark Elves and Necrons. I don't play either of those armies, but still...there's tons of stuff for chaos, marines, guard, tau, tyranids and orks, and then less stuff for Eldar and then practically nothing for Dark Eldar or Necrons. The point of ForgeWorld, as I tend to think of it at least, is to expand on armies that could use such expansion, as well as produce new stuff for armies that are missing models for units.

Well no one plays said armies so there's no point. They need to sell the stuff you know.

Rikka Rakka
19-09-2009, 12:31
I wish they would put out conversion kits so that I can turn my gun drones into shield or markerlight drones. Is there some source of these I am unaware of?

Yes. Games Workshop do a shield drone bits pack http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300064&prodId=prod1150005.

I heard someone say in another thread that the new Battlesuits will be 'Third Sphere Expansion' Crisis suits and will apparently be wasp waisted, with many spines.

Interesting.

eiglepulper
19-09-2009, 15:44
I've tried to order that Shield Drone pack. It isn't available to order.

E.

Rikka Rakka
20-09-2009, 16:21
Why is it that whenever we find out something, someone has a go. 'FW do too much guard stuff,we want more xenos', OK, heres some Tau and Orks, 'Oh, wait, they are the wrong xenos', Cheez, get a grip.

Partisan Rimmo
20-09-2009, 18:01
I think the idea of some kind of all purpose XV22 to provide a third troop choice would really improve the Tau list now I think about it. It would send Fire Warriors to a support role, which fits background, rather than them having to be used as a mainstay unit, which they are not really up to the task for. Plus the Tau are supposed to be the massed flying robot people.

Really like this idea...

EDIT* But I really agree that Burst cannons are now a tad overdone. Perhaps if missile pods were used somewhere?

Kivic
23-09-2009, 16:32
in the new Space Wolves Codex there is a piece of art showing space wolves fight with Tau, and there is a quite special battlesuit showing in that picture. perhaps a hidden hint?

Hokiecow
23-09-2009, 20:18
Can you get a snap shot of it?

Wintermute
23-09-2009, 20:28
The artwork in question is not new. It first appeared in Planetstrike and it doesn't show a new type of Battlesuit at all.

Hashshashin
24-09-2009, 02:26
The artwork in question is not new. It first appeared in Planetstrike and it doesn't show a new type of Battlesuit at all.

Thanks for the buzzkill... :eek:

I'm kidding I thought the same thing right as I was reading your post :p

I think more mech suits is clearly the way to go for tau. I would like to see not only a troop one but a larger mech styled heavy support option would be awesome as well.

maybe something like this (http://www.coolminiornot.com/231208) conversion

Cheers

shaso_iceborn
24-09-2009, 03:00

I simply take the shield generator from crisis suits and drill a small hole in it on the shield side. Then I clip off the tab that would mount it to a crisis suit glue to the bottom of a gun drone without the guns, clip off the tabs for the guns and add 2 antennae to the top. NOte I do not use antennae on my normal gun drones.

fwacho
24-09-2009, 03:15
Conversion for marker drone:

I flip the antennae so it hands off the back, paint it reverse colors of gun drone, use the bottom part of a pulse carbine or target lock from battle suit on the under side. Never confused anyone.

starlight
24-09-2009, 03:15
I believe GW has a Bitz kit for said conversion on it's site...

Kivic
24-09-2009, 09:57
if it aint something new, then what battlesuit is it?

t-tauri
24-09-2009, 11:42
XV-9 (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/xv9.htm) with the rules here (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/pdf/xv9.pdf). See the new Forgeworld newsletter (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3978904#post3978904).

Kivic
24-09-2009, 11:48
ok. i give up. neat looking suit though!

The Judge
24-09-2009, 12:28
Someone was complaining about too many burst cannons?

Ironhand
24-09-2009, 12:38
Might have to get a couple of those when they go on general release. FW's latest newsletter said they might have some at GD UK if you're going.

Hokiecow
24-09-2009, 13:40
Sweet models! The rules and point cost are pretty reasonable. I might have to pick up a few.

Rikka Rakka
24-09-2009, 14:00
They are a bit weird...but yay! I made a true rumour!

MajorWesJanson
24-09-2009, 14:43
We ought to just merge this into the #221 thread.

Hokiecow
24-09-2009, 15:25
They are a bit weird...but yay! I made a true rumour!

LOL! You sound surprised, like you didn't believe your own rumour! :D

shaso_iceborn
24-09-2009, 15:32
Did anyone else notice toughness 5 on that model? Could that be a hint of things to come?

Hokiecow
24-09-2009, 15:53
I did but didn't think it was sign of things to come, just because it's size and focus on short range combat. It needs to be able to survive CC attacks so it can jump out.

I could see it replacing the need for stealth suits. It seems to do their job better, with the exception of using a fusion gun but I have a feeling that this suit will have some new toys very soon!

axelbro
24-09-2009, 16:07
Quote from the experimental rules:

"Note these experimental rules feature the basic version of the armour only, further weapons configurations and options will be added later"

It will be interesting to see what other options will be added later. I wonder if eventually be produced similar to the dreadnoughts, buy the chassis and arms seperately.

Rikka Rakka
24-09-2009, 18:05
LOL! You sound surprised, like you didn't believe your own rumour! :D

Well, for a start I was told by WHW staff who I trust as far as I can throw (They told me the unreleased Kroot Shaper is a conversion, as far as I know that's BS) and also it was quite nice that unusually from the start noone has called BS on me. This thread has been nicely scepticism free.

Plus, it's always nice to be right. ;)

Joewrightgm
24-09-2009, 20:54
Well, for a start I was told by WHW staff who I trust as far as I can throw (They told me the unreleased Kroot Shaper is a conversion, as far as I know that's BS) and also it was quite nice that unusually from the start noone has called BS on me. This thread has been nicely scepticism free.

Plus, it's always nice to be right. ;)

Tau players tend to the optimistic side of things, in my opinion :)

For some reason, I really like the way that suit looks. Color me impressed, both with the experimental rules and the very 'organic' lines compared to the traditional XV8.

starlight
24-09-2009, 21:27
Sweet! :D

More FOC slots filled with Suits. :D Now for some small Troops Suits and we'll be rocking. :)

However I do agree that we don't need anymore Burst Cannons...I'm looking forward to future options... :)

Triszin The Wrath God
24-09-2009, 21:32
looks odd to say the least. but it looks silly carrying 4 burst cannons. whats next 4 flamers?

bielmic
24-09-2009, 22:42
looks odd to say the least. but it looks silly carrying 4 burst cannons. whats next 4 flamers?

i'm guessing that two twin flamers WILL be next as well as two twin fusion guns. they're all short ranged, fill different close support roles, and aren't that expensive. although i'd love to see a dual twin plasma version, i'm guessing that the point cost would be ridiculously high.

Scorpion
24-09-2009, 23:40
i'm guessing that two twin flamers WILL be next as well as two twin fusion guns. they're all short ranged, fill different close support roles, and aren't that expensive. although i'd love to see a dual twin plasma version, i'm guessing that the point cost would be ridiculously high.

Plus, the only correct paint scheme would be cheddar stripes over a gouda base...

Dark_Templar
25-09-2009, 00:09
anybody here with resin experience able to tell me if they believe the kit for the new XV9 would be in anyway compatible with bits from the current line of GW battlesuits? I am thinking more for conversion purposes than actually using FW XV9 rules....

Hokiecow
25-09-2009, 01:06
It looks like they are compatible but why, they'll come out with more options soon.

Dark_Templar
25-09-2009, 01:23
It looks like they are compatible but why, they'll come out with more options soon.

I know, I just like to keep my converting options open, that's all.

Cheers.

Prodigalson
25-09-2009, 01:27
Ok, what did I say about ******* burst cannons?!

Now, saying that. That is one NICE looking suit, and it says that other weapon systems to follow. Well... I'll be getting some of those later.

However, notice something... FAST ATTACK?!?!

That is awesome. This suit has some serious potential, both in style and weaponsystems. Let's hope it's more then a forgeworld piece, although with GW modifying things over into the core system from their sculps, I wouldn't be surprised to see it.

Bring on the experimental heavier weaponry I say. But for goodness akes, give me something that is either (a) long range in fire power or (b) so powerful at short range that it makes my opponents ******* pucker.

nosferatu1001
25-09-2009, 01:49
Damn those suits look nice: dual plasma is a close in support weapon so fits the fluff, however being able to pump out 4 twin link AP2 shots at close range is sickening....so expect to pay 90 points each at a guess. Dual twin flamers would also be nice as a counter attack for Ork horde, would cause some mega carnage to have 3 of them in a unit....

I don;'t think fusion guns would really fit here, just based on fluff? Maybe a higher RoF weapon than a burst?

athamas
25-09-2009, 02:38
damn it.

everytime i get fed up with tau they go and do something crazt like this...

very nice looking..

Cadian144
25-09-2009, 03:22
XV-9 (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/xv9.htm) with the rules here (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/pdf/xv9.pdf). See the new Forgeworld newsletter (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3978904#post3978904).

Wow...!:D that is a nice Battle suit...very cool, thanks for the pic and links.

starlight
25-09-2009, 06:54
On second look, I'm not happy with the hands, but that's easily fixed. :)

Guesses on the base size...?

Binky
25-09-2009, 08:21
On second look, I'm not happy with the hands, but that's easily fixed. :)

Guesses on the base size...?

60mm by the looks of it, based on the thickness compared to the width and the comparison shot with a standard battlesuit.

Hands are just the standard Tau battlesuit style hands aren't they?

Do like it (and conveniently just fished my Tau Megaforce out the other week and started painted it) though the feet look a bit weird, almost like they're missing the back toe. Also, think the weapons might have looked better with the guns placed vertically stacked, rather than side by side, as the model is quite tall and thin and the guns go against that. But still looks nice and will definitely get one if I get more than a few of my Tau painted.

theunwantedbeing
25-09-2009, 13:58
Erm....I though tau only use a base 8 system of counting, ie....the number 9 isnt part of their counting system so calling it an xv-9 is just silly?

megatrons2nd
25-09-2009, 14:29
Using base 8 would make the XV-8 misnumbered also. Base 8 uses 8 digits from 0-7 yes 0 is still counted as a digit.

I thought they used base 8 also and that the name was simply an Imperial conversion. The 8 for the crisis suit could just be an infinity symbol on it's side to denote the crisis suit's multipurpose role.

Apologist
25-09-2009, 14:29
Erm....I though tau only use a base 8 system of counting, ie....the number 9 isnt part of their counting system so calling it an xv-9 is just silly?

Humans have used everything from binary to hexidecimal (and beyond) for their counting systems; so there's nothing to say that certain septs all use base 8. In any case, you can still count to 9 in a base 8 system – it would commonly be represented as a two-digit code, but perhaps the tau do something else, like colouring.

Also, this is presumably the human translation.

On a related subject, the first number is the mass class, right? Interesting to see the difference between an 8 and a 9 is not huge. I'd be interested in seeing some mass class 4 or 5s – or even 1s!

MajorWesJanson
25-09-2009, 14:33
or even 1s!

XV-15? :p
Already covered.

starlight
25-09-2009, 14:36
60mm by the looks of it, based on the thickness compared to the width and the comparison shot with a standard battlesuit.

Hands are just the standard Tau battlesuit style hands aren't they?

Do like it (and conveniently just fished my Tau Megaforce out the other week and started painted it) though the feet look a bit weird, almost like they're missing the back toe. Also, think the weapons might have looked better with the guns placed vertically stacked, rather than side by side, as the model is quite tall and thin and the guns go against that. But still looks nice and will definitely get one if I get more than a few of my Tau painted.

I meant the way it looks like the hands and weapons are one piece. :( I'd prefer add-on weapons, and would be more likely to buy if the conversion potential looked higher... :) For example, my first thought was for vertically stacked weapons... :p

swamp_slug
26-09-2009, 16:19
I think the weapons are separate. To me the arms look reminiscent of the XV88-2 arms where the gun is a separate piece. Also, given the shape I suspect it would be easier to cast them separate.

Mr_Rose
26-09-2009, 17:20
I would like to see Troop choice infantry suits in the next Tau codex too.
Call it the VX-11 or something; no toughness boost or extra wounds, but a Troop unit with S4, 4+Sv and a Jet Pack would be awesome. Especially if the basic gun is something like a TL carbine or some such.

Wintermute
26-09-2009, 17:56
I would like to see Troop choice infantry suits in the next Tau codex too.
Call it the VX-11 or something; no toughness boost or extra wounds, but a Troop unit with S4, 4+Sv and a Jet Pack would be awesome. Especially if the basic gun is something like a TL carbine or some such.

This is News and Rumour Thread, not a wish list in 40K General.

Wintermute

Solar_Eclipse
27-09-2009, 10:17
Not sure if its been mentioned, but its the XV-9 probably because it looks very similar to the Battlesuit from District 9.

Damn that was a good movie.

Looks like GW/FW are getting closer and closer to what battlesuits are supposed to look like!

Ironhand
27-09-2009, 14:14
No it's the XV-9 because it's a 9 ton weight class battlesuit, just like the XV-8 and 88 are 8-ton weight class battlesuits. The first (or single) digit in the designation of any Tau battlesuit indicates the weight class in tons.

Shas'o Lar
27-09-2009, 15:22
Well, although the first digits represent the weight/size class, but I doubt it's about tons. After all, XV22 or 25 certainly don't look like they weigh 2 tons. Hell, even my car weighs less than 2 tons, and a Stealth Suit heavier than your usual car is NOT a good idea IMHO :P

Hellebore
28-09-2009, 02:32
Yes, I doubt it weighs 9 tonnes.

It's a really nice model though, albiet even more overtly mecha than the previous ones. Not that that is a bad thing necessarily, but it does make it harder to deny the japanese influence.

Hellebore

Marshal2Crusaders
28-09-2009, 05:02
Whoa, thats a great model, but it is a little too military sci-fi and less space fantasy.

Killgore
29-09-2009, 18:30
The extra weapons for this new XV-9 battlesuit are awsome!

There will be a choice of replacing one of the twin linked weapons with a short ranged ap1 small blast gun, a weapon thats like the current airburst frag launcher and a rending ranged gun.

Although these could change as the rules previewed at gamesday were WiP.

Prodigalson
29-09-2009, 23:04
Nice! They had the additional rules there as well? Anything else?

Marshal2Crusaders
29-09-2009, 23:29
The whole can't count to 9 thing is a valid point, but I believe a Tau nine would be like our 11. Isn't counting based off of tens because of our fingers?

swamp_slug
30-09-2009, 00:13
Strictly speaking in base 8 a value of 8 would be represented as 10 meaning 1 lot of 8 and 0 units, so yes 9 would be represented by 11. With this in mind I always consider the battlesuit number designations to be Imperial designations, just like the vehicles are given aquatic names (Devilfish, Hammerhead, Piranha etc) but all the fluff I've read has T'au being an arid world.

Back on topic, I hope they also allow twin-linked flamers and fusion blasters. They may be primarily XV8 weapons but so is the burst cannon, and the weapons suit their role. Was there any indication as to when the updated rules would be released?

wolvychops
30-09-2009, 00:32
a bit too anime for me.

I know that is somewhat of the theme the Tau are based on but this takes it a bit to far in my opinion.

the Idea is great! i just think that it doesn't mach up as well as their other battle suits.

The Wraithlord
02-10-2009, 22:39
My only problem with that new FW suit is the ankles. It looks like it will suffer from the same problems that the current stock suits suffer from. Those will be breaking left, right, and center.

lord_gundam
03-10-2009, 17:53
Tau need a New Codex and bring back old rules like

old Disruption pod and bring some forge world vehicle to like Tetra and
Barracuda, them give the Sniper drone some wargear can kill a tank
or give some problems to the enemy. i hope GW built something like Tau
city. i see to many Imperail City and some stuff, is time to Tau have power
power to have a good fight and more stuff :)

cerealk
03-10-2009, 20:42
From the same source of this rumorrumor (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4005378&posted=1#post4005378) I've heared that we sould expect something for the Tau in 2010

Saluti

EldarWolf
04-10-2009, 00:14
My only problem with that new FW suit is the ankles. It looks like it will suffer from the same problems that the current stock suits suffer from. Those will be breaking left, right, and center.

I agree, the suits are fine except for the really weak ankles.

Ten Ghosts
04-10-2009, 14:49
Darren Parwood is currently working on the XV-6 suit at Forgeworld, and should be available for Christmas. The XV-9 datasheet is already "locked in" for another Apoc update and will come with 3 other weapon fits.
This is from a qoute on Advanced Tau Tactica.

This is for an IA update book- the reason being is that they wanted to be able to include the cool models that they have without having to have a whole campaign book written to support them.
There were no sketch books, but the full official rules page was there in front of my eyes, so this is gospel!
Max range is 24" for any of the weapons (usual 18")
Burst cannon options is the basic buy- other weapons are upgrades
One of the weapons was rending 4!!!
Basic points costs 75pts
Exiting profile remains (as per the newsletter)
The plasma recoiling pulse thing (really can't remember this name) had 5 shots I think;-)

I hope that this whets you appetite :)

Tau Codex? "2012" was mentioned by Phil Kelly.

MajorWesJanson
04-10-2009, 15:03
Even if no codex release from GW in 2010, I would not be suprised to see a new commander and broadside in a mini-release to get rid of more hybrid models.

shaso_iceborn
04-10-2009, 16:53
Even if no codex release from GW in 2010, I would not be suprised to see a new commander and broadside in a mini-release to get rid of more hybrid models.

I would not be surprised here either. When the codex is released I expect the Swordfish to make an appearance. (For those who don't know the Swordfish is essentially a hammerhead with twin linked railguns.) As GW seems to want to have a "big release" for every army I would expect something like the Barracuda as well.

The Battlesuits are due for a change if you go by the 10yr cycle and seeing a command XV22 would not surprise me at. I actually expect 2 new commanders a XV22 one and a fully plastic XV8

For those complaining about the ankle joint I have cut mine off and use a "tacking" nail as a pin there it works wonders for the strength

Scorpion
04-10-2009, 22:34
For those complaining about the ankle joint I have cut mine off and use a "tacking" nail as a pin there it works wonders for the strength

Warseer, Amateur Orthopedy! :p

Now seriously, regarding any new suits, what I'm really looking forward to is poseability! They did it with the Sentinel, they sure as hell can do it with an XV-8.

I'm not as interested in a complete redesign as others seem to be. The design is passable, with an exception, IMHO: the torso. They couldn't make it blockier if they tried! A torso like Shas'O R'myr's would be a step in the right direction.

Forgeworld seems to be on the dime most of the times regarding suits (and ESPECIALLY regarding broadsides). Essentially the only thing I don't like about forgeworld suits is the head. Too sunken and small. And when they use the regular XV-8 torso on one. That's like Leonardo DaVinci putting a Hello Kitty sticker on the Last Supper!

That is all...
Scorpion

Arakanis
05-10-2009, 02:26
I don't get the deal with Tau players who don't like the way the XV-8s look.

It would be like if I was a marine player who didn't like how power armour looked.

It's pretty much a staple of your army. Why would you pick Tau if you didn't like how one of your primary units looked? I really don't understand that mentality.

I personally think the XV-8s look great. They look robust, like they can take a hit and keep on moving, and carry a variety of weapons and gear deep into hazardous enviroments. the XV-22 looks like it'll break if it gets knocked over. Same thing for the Stealth Eggmen. If they fall over, can they even get back up?

Prodigalson
05-10-2009, 04:05
Maybe it's because there are eight different types of marine armor you can design?

Imagine if all of the marine armor was Mark VI (beaky) like it was in Rogue Trader, but forgeworld had the only Eagle Armor or Errant Armor. If people liked the other ones, they would want larger supplies of them in plastic.

Especially since we have forgeworld suits, which look better, and also we have seen the Crillo designs (that rocks).

Did you like the first Rhino? Is the new one better? What about the land raider, or the necrons.

As time passes, things get better, the designs get better. And the Crisis suits is actually fairly bad to pose.

Shadey
05-10-2009, 04:14

To be fair, it's two twin linked burst cannons, that is still a far cry from 4 burst cannons.

Plus, the only correct paint scheme would be cheddar stripes over a gouda base...

I just had to quote so I could lol. I personally think attacks should be reduced to one, but im not sure I would agree its cheese. Still lol worthy though.

Strictly speaking in base 8 a value of 8 would be represented as 10 meaning 1 lot of 8 and 0 units, so yes 9 would be represented by 11. With this in mind I always consider the battlesuit number designations to be Imperial designations, just like the vehicles are given aquatic names (Devilfish, Hammerhead, Piranha etc) but all the fluff I've read has T'au being an arid world.

Back on topic, I hope they also allow twin-linked flamers and fusion blasters. They may be primarily XV8 weapons but so is the burst cannon, and the weapons suit their role. Was there any indication as to when the updated rules would be released?

The home world may be arid but that does not preclude large bodies of water. In fact, it no doubt does have significant supplies of water or the Tau never would have evolved there, no life would have without water.

On one hand your point does stand that being an arid world water, and the species in it would be less common and less on the consciousness of the Tau, but then at the same time that may only serve to emphasize water's importance (and that of any species living in it).

I don't get the deal with Tau players who don't like the way the XV-8s look.

It would be like if I was a marine player who didn't like how power armour looked.

It's pretty much a staple of your army. Why would you pick Tau if you didn't like how one of your primary units looked? I really don't understand that mentality.

I personally think the XV-8s look great. They look robust, like they can take a hit and keep on moving, and carry a variety of weapons and gear deep into hazardous enviroments. the XV-22 looks like it'll break if it gets knocked over. Same thing for the Stealth Eggmen. If they fall over, can they even get back up?

Battlesuits are a staple but they are far from everything that is the Tau. I would say the background itself of which the battlesuit is only a part of would be the more important and deciding element and there is no reason people can't dislike certain elements. I play marines but I don't like all the background or visual elements, beakie helms for example.

Arakanis
05-10-2009, 04:16
Maybe it's because there are eight different types of marine armor you can design?

Imagine if all of the marine armor was Mark VI (beaky) like it was in Rogue Trader, but forgeworld had the only Eagle Armor or Errant Armor. If people liked the other ones, they would want larger supplies of them in plastic.

Especially since we have forgeworld suits, which look better, and also we have seen the Crillo designs (that rocks).

Did you like the first Rhino? Is the new one better? What about the land raider, or the necrons.

As time passes, things get better, the designs get better. And the Crisis suits is actually fairly bad to pose.

Your argument is irrelevant. I refused to play Warhammer for a long time because the models looked ugly as hell. Specifically, the old rhinos and land raiders. Also, I LIKE the MKVI armour, and I have several squads of nothing but beakies.

In any case, my point is that if you didn't like the models in the first place, why do you play the army? It makes no sense to not like how something looks, buy a whole bunch of it and keep complaining that you don't like it! I only play armies and use models that I like the look of. I wouldn't even be playing Marines, Tau, Orks or Eldar if I didn't like the models.

starlight
05-10-2009, 04:20
Imposing your view of the world on others isn't going to get you very far...anywhere... :(

There are plenty of people who like one or more aspects of an army and work around the parts they don't like (for me it's the look of Tau vehicles...still looking for a suitable replacement, I am...).

kaimarion
05-10-2009, 04:20
and I have several squads of nothing but beakies.
s.

That's because beakies are awesome and it's nice a change from the boring MK7 helmets zzzz.

It would be nice if FW had the suits up for pre-order but for some strange reason they are still not up there with the other new releases :confused:.

Scorpion
05-10-2009, 04:33
In any case, my point is that if you didn't like the models in the first place, why do you play the army?

So what you're saying is that, if I don't like one choice out of an entire codex, I shouldn't play that army? Or better yet, I shouldn't be playing an army if I don't like one artist's specific rendition of a specific unit? Wouldn't it be easier to, I don't know, just don't include that unit/model on your list/army?

The thing is, things change. Tastes change, technologies develop, sculptors mature, markets flow. And in GW's case, model-wise, it's almost allways for the better (MORLEEEEEEEYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!). If certain aspects of the current models are found lacking, shouldn't we ask for better ones? To do less would be to settle for mediocrity. And we have to hand it to GW, if there's one thing they do pants-wetingly well, is to make absolutelly stunning plastic models.

Arakanis
05-10-2009, 04:33
Imposing your view of the world on others isn't going to get you very far...anywhere... :(

There are plenty of people who like one or more aspects of an army and work around the parts they don't like (for me it's the look of Tau vehicles...still looking for a suitable replacement, I am...).

I'm not trying to impose my view on anyone. I'm simply saying, for something as expensive, time consuming and involved as picking an army (or a miniature wargame) is, why would you settle for something you aren't completely satisfied with? I just don't see the reasoning there.

So what you're saying is that, if I don't like one choice out of an entire codex, I shouldn't play that army? Or better yet, I shouldn't be playing an army if I don't like one artist's specific rendition of a specific unit? Wouldn't it be easier to, I don't know, just don't include that unit/model on your list/army?
No. I'm not saying that at all. But thanks for putting words in my mouth. I know a lot of tyranid players who hate the Biovore model. And that's fine, no one is going to use the Biovore any time soon anyways. It's not a key unit by any means. But for Tau, the Crisis suit is a necessity. You have to take at least one. You have no choice in the matter. If you don't like how your HQ is going to look, why pick the army? I'm seriously asking this question because I just don't get it. If you didn't like how Necron Warriors looked, would you play Necrons? Because you have to take them. You just don't have a choice.

So that's the thing I'm saying, Crisis suits are an inseperable part of the Tau army, and their style. If you don't like it, what are you doing buying hundreds of dollars worth of them, and whining about how you don't like what you willingly paid for?

The thing is, things change. Tastes change, technologies develop, sculptors mature, markets flow. And in GW's case, model-wise, it's almost allways for the better (MORLEEEEEEEYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!). If certain aspects of the current models are found lacking, shouldn't we ask for better ones? To do less would be to settle for mediocrity. And we have to hand it to GW, if there's one thing they do pants-wetingly well, is to make absolutelly stunning plastic models.
Yes, and we're not talking about technology, we're talking about stylistically, some people don't like the "Blocky" XV-8s. The models are excellent quality with tons of detail. (even if they happen to break off at the ankles, if you think that's bad, go talk to a Necron or Eldar player.)

Tinkertau 2.0
05-10-2009, 06:36
It has come to my opinion that Arakanis doesn't like Tau and their owners. Tis O.K. Arakanis we still love you, as long as you follow the Greater Good, or else!

The Orange
05-10-2009, 07:18
But for Tau, the Crisis suit is a necessity. You have to take at least one. You have no choice in the matter. If you don't like how your HQ is going to look, why pick the army?

Yes you have to take 1 minimum. I don't see how that makes it integral, I actually do only take 1-2 suits in my armies. Why did I take up a Tau army even though I think XV8s are ugly, because I still like the design of the Fire Warriors, the 3rd edition ethereals (note at that time you didn't need an XV8 for an HQ), the Tau vehicles, the kroot, and the Tau stealth suits. True crisis suits are one of the big themes in the Tau army, but there by no means essential. I like just about all the models the Tau have except the crisis suits (I even like the vespids). IMO looking at all the other Tau models and XV8s I think GW either got lazy or it was one of the first prototypes in making the distinctive Tau aesthetic because IMO the XV8 doesn't quite meet the standards of the rest of the line. You may like it but IMO it's bland and lacks detail. FW's first suits were an improvement but I think FW really got the main Tau aesthetic when they did the Broadside and O'r'myr suits. And just look at the difference between Tau BFG ships made by GW and by FW. IMO the FW guys know what their doing.

Scorpion
05-10-2009, 14:25
If you don't like how your HQ is going to look, why pick the army? I'm seriously asking this question because I just don't get it.

Perhaps because I play Tau not for their looks, but instead, you know, for how they play? 40K is not a minifigure passerelle, you know?

MajorWesJanson
05-10-2009, 18:39
I like the current XV-8 suit, and the variants that R'Myr and the XV-89 have. Not a big fan of the FW broadsides or the XV-9, personally.

If they redo the Battlesuit sprue, I expedt the arms and legs to be two pieces, so they bend at the knees and elbows (easily done), better ankle joints, possibly the same design just a bit thicker, and more wargear/weapons/ head variants on the frame (there is room) to build a commander or some variants of the normal XV-8. Then a broadside sprue with the railguns able to be mounted on the shoulders or arms, smart missiles able to do the same, and possible a couple more weapon options, like mini-ion cannons (maybe a sky-ray variant, with arm mounted markerlights and a pair of seeker missiles on the shoulders)

Scorpion
05-10-2009, 19:09
If they redo the Battlesuit sprue, I expedt (...) better ankle joints, possibly the same design just a bit thicker (...)

IIRC, they already did that the last time. When the Tau codex came out, they recut the XV-8s ankles to make them more sturdy. Personally, I don't have any complaints!

MajorWesJanson
05-10-2009, 20:22
IIRC, they already did that the last time. When the Tau codex came out, they recut the XV-8s ankles to make them more sturdy. Personally, I don't have any complaints!

I'd hate to imagine the old joint...

JHZ
05-10-2009, 23:12
Not without lots of guns.

As for me, while I like the look of FW suits (belt fed railguns for the win!), I must say that if they came the new style for GW, they'd make me a little... uneasy. I mean, in pretty much any other army I can understand a mix of old and new, but I can't see why the Tau would hang onto their old and busted suits, when there's new hotness available. To the Imperials it's a holy relic, to Chaos it's all they got, to Orks it's just one piece of crap among others, to the Eldar... Their tech hasn't changed a bit, so it's probably up to different designs. Even Necrons have different things, so different looking units could be understandable. But Tau... Especially as one suit is bulky like a WW1 tank and the other is obviously designed by some Japanese dude on acid (imagine putting some neon lights to the bottoms of its hooves so it would light up the ground).

Well, on the other hand my Tau army is miniscule, so it's unlikely to expand, and I think the bulky looks suits the overall look of my army better than high-tech smoothies. Especially with the little conversions I've made to them.

Shas'o Lar
06-10-2009, 00:28
Well, if you think about it, those new suits are... well, new :P I believe that outfitting the entire army with new stuff would take a lot of time and effort. Or perhaps the bulky design of the old suits is easier to produce/maintain ? There are a lot of fluff reasons for including the FW style suits.

JHZ
06-10-2009, 00:43
Well, if you think about it, those new suits are... well, new :P I believe that outfitting the entire army with new stuff would take a lot of time and effort. Or perhaps the bulky design of the old suits is easier to produce/maintain ? There are a lot of fluff reasons for including the FW style suits.
Sure there are, but it would stick out like an M60 next to an Abrams. I know all about mixed gear. The rifles we had in the army ranged from -65 to -95, and there's a number of changes in their external design over the years. But the Tau aren't some **** poor army really. I mean, they've adopted new stuff faster than what the Imperium has managed to come up with during the last few millennia. So while there could be a billion and one reasons to why they'd still have old suits, it would still stick out in the overall look of the army. Like a Blood Angel in an Ultramarine force.

But that's just me. If I had a full Tau army and all, I'd probably have to get old suits fast (just so that I got something to use once I expand), or exchange all for these new ones. But I'm the sort of person who can't sleep at night if I don't do everything according to a pattern.

delayar
06-10-2009, 09:43
after seeing the xv 9 my christmas wish changed, i need some of them for my army.

To the point why the Tau might have ald XV 8 and new XV 9 in one army when they adapt new technologies really fast i think that new technics need time to be build so they cant replace the old ones with one strike.

Brimstone
06-10-2009, 10:00
As it's no longer a rumour I'm moving this to 40K general.

The Warseer Inquisition

mdauben
06-10-2009, 15:32
Same here. That's my only real complaint about the Tau miniatures line, the Crisis Suits just look bad compared to the other Tau stuff. :(

Orks, Elysians, and now possibly more Tau? Can I just set up a direct deposit from my paycheck to FW?
Honestly, I can't image how anyone could play Orks without including at least a couple of those tastey FW models. As far as the Elysians, I wish GW would do them in plastic, or even in pewter! I love the figures and the concept of the Drop Troops list, but I priced an IG army using the Elysian FW figures once, and IIRC it would end up costing right around a dollar a point (i.e. 1500 pts = $1500US!!!). :rolleyes:

Polycarbonate
09-10-2009, 12:22
It would be great to see some work on the Tau and Eldar, seeing as humans seem to dominate forge world (hence the name!). The new XV-9 Hazard suit is coming out at the end of the year http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Tau/Battlesuits/xv9a.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/xv9.htm&usg=__g27q4AT3KMg6qwyIDQdPIRR9n1c=&h=524&w=650&sz=23&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=8dAM51tGCyasVM:&tbnh=110&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3DXV9%2BHazard%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.mi crosoft:en-au:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7ACAW_deDE324%26sa%3DN%26um%3D 1, and looks cool. They should work on a batch of new battlesuits. XV2's would be nice to see aswell, like O'Kais from DC. And maybe a 6 inch tall model, some kinda mini-titan would be nice to see in the next few years:evilgrin:...