PDA

View Full Version : Crimson Fist Vetrans advice

The Marshel
03-09-2009, 07:49
not entirel sure where to put this tbh, its genrally a paint and background question, if a mod thinks it belongs somewhere else then please move it

anyway, when it comes to crimson fist vtrans, i have seen and thought about some helmet paint scheame options. In particular, entierly red helmets, similar to how ultramarine vets have white helmets. Though i dont believe thee is any fluff to support this concept. I recall seeing a thread on warseer where someone was making a rouge trader style crimson fist army, all beakies and with a red strip, and i'm kinda leaning towards this red strip down the helmet kinda idea

so, if anyone could give me their thoughts and idea on the matter i'd be most appreciated

marv335
03-09-2009, 09:53
ordinary CF marines have one red fist (left)
Veteran CF marines have both fists red.

Damage,Inc.
03-09-2009, 10:08
Ah, that's what the fluff USED to be but looking through all the examples of current (5th ed) models and artwork, it appears as though Scouts have 0-1 red fist, Brothers have 2 red fists and veterans have 2 fists plus powerfist and helmet markings. Confusing to say the least.

I like the old RT idea of helmet stripes as well as red fists. I think they can be combined pretty well. Maybe give all your CF marines a red central stripe on their helmet, with veterans being denoted by white/red alternating or something similar. This also helps to offset the red of the fists and makes the model more visually pleasing instead of drawing the eye to the red.

pookie
03-09-2009, 10:13
Ah, that's what the fluff USED to be but looking through all the examples of current (5th ed) models and artwork, it appears as though Scouts have 0-1 red fist, Brothers have 2 red fists and veterans have 2 fists plus powerfist and helmet markings. Confusing to say the least.

wheres this supported about all Marines having two fists, check the inside cover of the 5th SM dex, theres clearly a mix of marines and Vets on that pic, which doesnt support you statement.

agreed tho, it is confusing.

The Marshel
03-09-2009, 10:22
well i am incorporating the two fist thing. It was mentioned in tale of four gamers and it seems a simple little add on for vetrans, but i do recall reading somewhere that having the second fist painted red denotes them as crusading. This could mean part of the "crusade company" that is the 1st company as im sure you all know, or it could mean that theyare litterally part of a company off crusading.

seems to be little consistance on the matter.

THe full red helmets seemed a good idea at first but its just not quite crimson fist shceme enough for me you know, looks odd.

I've been painting sternguards today, tried the red strip thing, its pretty eye pleasing. I like the idea of applying it to all my crimson fist and using more intricate ones for the vets though, i'll give it a go.

thanks for the help

Anaris
03-09-2009, 10:32
Index Astartes states that Crimson Fists marines have their left glove painted red. Scouts don't have any painted red and any member of the Crusade Company has both painted red.

Other than that, they have the standard insignia for a Codex chapter.

However, if you're looking for a way to change it up slightly, then you could adopt the style in the novel, Crimson Tears where someone comments on the silver helmet of a Crimson Fist, denoting his veteran status.

The Marshel
03-09-2009, 10:47
wow...silver...
anyone got an example of that, i really dont think that would look overly good...
are we talking blunt and battle worn silver, or bright shinny polished sivler?

marv335
03-09-2009, 11:56
that book was written by Ben Counter so can be safely ignored.

Poseidal
03-09-2009, 16:37
For my Crimson Fists, normal guys have the left hand only in crimson and Veterans (and Veteran Sergeants) have both (as well as higher ranked characters).

I usually bling up the veterans if they're using regular weapons like Bolters, Flamers, Heavy weapons and alike too as it can be hard to see the single red fist but that's just for my own recognition and making them stand out more on the battlefield. I don't need as much bling if they have a melee weapon like a power fist, because nothing says 'Veteran Sergeant+' more than a big red power fist.

Leftenant Gashrog
03-09-2009, 17:40
Theres also the Crimson Fist Scout Sniper on page 118 of the Codex who has both fists red, he could be a sergeant, but considering the Silver Skulls 4th Company Vanguard, Red Templars 2nd Company Vanguard, Eagle Warriors 2nd Company Sternguard, Iron Lords 2nd Company Terminator and the White Consuls 9th Company Tactical marines its more likely that the current crop of Eavy Metal painters are just illiterate.

natsirtm
03-09-2009, 19:24
My crimson fist termies have white helmets, just because I wanted them to look a little different than all the other CF termies I've seen (except for the one guy whose idea I stole). They're your models, paint them how you like. I think helmet stripes would look great.

Damage,Inc.
03-09-2009, 19:26
Theres also the Crimson Fist Scout Sniper on page 118 of the Codex who has both fists red, he could be a sergeant, but considering the Silver Skulls 4th Company Vanguard, Red Templars 2nd Company Vanguard, Eagle Warriors 2nd Company Sternguard, Iron Lords 2nd Company Terminator and the White Consuls 9th Company Tactical marines its more likely that the current crop of Eavy Metal painters are just illiterate.

+1. Seriously.