PDA

View Full Version : 6k of Dwarfs what should I do?

Billpete002
03-09-2009, 10:47
So this is the composition of my army (its almost 6k) with various upgrades etc. but I was wondering what I should buy to improve this massive force? The only thing I can really think of off hand is bolt throwers and more quarellers. Anything you all might suggest?

Thorgrim Grudgebearer
Thorek Ironbrow
Dwarf Lord 1
Joseph Bugman
Thane 1
Runesmith 1
Longbeard Rangers 20
Longbeards 20
Dwarf Warriors 15
Thunderers 10
Thunderers 10
Thunderers 10
Quarellers 10
Quarellers 10
Quarellers 12
Cannon 1
Grudge Thrower 1
Giant Slayers 30
Iron Breakers 18
Hammerers 19
Miners 15
Flame Cannon 1
Organ Gun 1

EndlessBug
03-09-2009, 10:55
Don't you need a unit of warriors per unit of longbeards? In which case you'll need another warrior unit. I'd also make sure each warrior unit is at least 20 strong, they're decently priced so you might as well but 2 more packs (32 in total) giving you one unit of 22 and one of 25.

You might want some more runesmiths for such a high point army.

You have PLEANTY of shooty units. 6 blocks is almost too many, think of deployment. Some more war machines wouldn't be too bad though.6k having 1 more organ gun and yea a couple of bolt throwers wouldn't be a bad idea. What about 2 Gyrocopters?

lcfr
03-09-2009, 17:11
Thirty Giantslayers?! Why not just drop them and simply play a 5k game :p

Your combat blocks are way too small, most Dwarf players run them larger at games as low as 1k. At such a large size it wouldn't hurt to include all of the options available to Dwarfs, and the ones that are noticeably absent from your list are Gyrocopters and Bolt Throwers. However, there's probably not much help other players can give you when it comes to writing a 6k list since there are so many variables to take into account and since the game is just so huge. So, take it with a grain of salt if you like, but looking at your list I see you as being woefully unprepared for anything that hits your line; and granted, you have a lot of firepower, but not enough to flatout win the game for you.

Billpete002
03-09-2009, 21:38
Just wanted to toss out there what I have in total and have other players with more experience in this latest edition to look over it. I read through the Dwarf Tactica today and I will have to get more warriors and make those squads bigger.

As for the giantslayers (yeah big point sink) - but frankly I love em - I almost made a Slayer army back in Storm of Chaos.

and good point about more runesmiths. Yeah bolt throwers are a big thing on my list, as for the gyrocopter.. I can't stand it..

Malorian
03-09-2009, 21:40
Best unit the dwarfs can get by far are hammerers with shields.

Slayerthane
04-09-2009, 18:49
Rather than 30 giant slayers, just have a unit of 30 slayers and promote the first rank to giant slayers. Since they count as unit champs, they will always get to attack back.

Beef up your missile troops to 15 each, so that they can hold their own in the inevitable round of close combat that is bound to happen. Blocks of infantry should be at least 25 IMO. I'm not a fan of longbeard rangers, especially at this point level, 1 throw away unit won't do much I think.

Never had much luck with a flame cannon myself, would probably just go with a goblin hewer instead. At this point level I would be running two Gyrocopters but that's just me.

Make the thane a BSB.

@EndlessBug: He doesn't need another unit of warriors since the Lord allows you to take one more longbeard if he's the general.